"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
I don't fast, because my body doesn't like it, and I will faint if my sugar levels go too low. I do think however, everyone needs to know their body and needs to do what works best for them. If that is what works for you for losing weight, I totally understand. I have tried so many ways to get weight off and I think I have found what works for me for now anyway.
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I only fast between meals.
LOL Ditto !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I don't fast, because my body doesn't like it, and I will faint if my sugar levels go too low. I do think however, everyone needs to know their body and needs to do what works best for them. If that is what works for you for losing weight, I totally understand. I have tried so many ways to get weight off and I think I have found what works for me for now anyway.
I have the same problem and must say that I am in complete agreement with what chopper has said.

Others have stated eating smart is the best and they are right. No need to fast if you are eating right - unless a Dr orders it for a test.

If you are eating right you will appreciate food and with controlled portions you will find your "need" to overeat will dissipate.
__________________

__________________
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
I fast unintentionally, when I forget to eat, get too busy, or am simply not hungry. I agree with the rest here, no diet is a magic bullet.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
I used to do a fruit cleanse for 2 days at the end of each month just because it made me feel better and it cleaned all the junk out of my system.
I was eating fruit so I it's not a fast but I get what you are saying. It does make you feel " cleaner and fresher"

I wouldn't go as far as not eating at all and I think that doing that for 3 days a week would be a bit extreme.
I would suggest rather eating raw fruit and veggies for a few days when you feel your body needs it.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
I'm doing it Lulu, and feel fantastic on it. I have lost weight and have more energy. I got Dr Michael Mosleys book The Fast Diet and read it through, the health benefits are impressive. He also did a Horizon programme about it and he did the diet himself. He now maintains on 6:1. Which is what I intend to do.

Your body most certainly can take it. We eat far too much in general which is why there is such an obesity problem.

I fast for two days a week, although its not strictly a fast, its 500 calories for a woman as you have said. I eat high protein foods on those days, nothing that will give me a sugar high or a slump. I drink lots of water and herbal teas. I exercise as normal.

I have not experienced any problems, I have more energy, have lost weight and I sleep well too.

Dr Michael Mosley can explain it far better than I can so do check it out online, but many people are doing this primarily for the health benefits as well as weight loss, but then, weight loss is a health benefit isnt it?
__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Dr Michael Mosley can explain it far better than I can so do check it out online, but many people are doing this primarily for the health benefits as well as weight loss, but then, weight loss is a health benefit isnt it?
Only if you're overweight
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Of course
__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 810
Fasting is all the rage? I don't follow dieting trends, fads or rages. I lost a sister to a purging disorder. At 78 pounds, 5'7" tall, her heart simple stopped beating.
__________________
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #19
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I'm doing it Lulu, and feel fantastic on it. I have lost weight and have more energy. I got Dr Michael Mosleys book The Fast Diet and read it through, the health benefits are impressive. He also did a Horizon programme about it and he did the diet himself. He now maintains on 6:1. Which is what I intend to do.

Your body most certainly can take it. We eat far too much in general which is why there is such an obesity problem.

I fast for two days a week, although its not strictly a fast, its 500 calories for a woman as you have said. I eat high protein foods on those days, nothing that will give me a sugar high or a slump. I drink lots of water and herbal teas. I exercise as normal.

I have not experienced any problems, I have more energy, have lost weight and I sleep well too.

Dr Michael Mosley can explain it far better than I can so do check it out online, but many people are doing this primarily for the health benefits as well as weight loss, but then, weight loss is a health benefit isnt it?

Could you give an example of your daily menu on your fast?
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
lulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: England
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Could you give an example of your daily menu on your fast?
It's been so long since i have been here I cannot remember the site protocol on links to recipes and articles,

I am sure so e one will correct me if this is not allowed, but this is a nice example. I have only so far made the courgettes (zucchini) recipe from this list but the dipping sole is high on my wish list.

5:2 diet: healthy recipes 250 calories or less - Telegraph

One of the benefits of the popularity of this ATM is the wonderful meals being published regularly, but its not hard to work out the calorie content and nutritional value of a meal or better, daily menu, using one of the apps available now. I tend to plan my menus very roughly over a week to a fortnight (days might get juggled and surprises do pop up, last minute invites etc) which I find helpful both for food management but also for budgeting/home economics.

Tbh, my main interest with my health condition is the metabolic improvements and also, with a strong family history of Alzheimer's (grandmother, then aunt with very early onset and father showing signs) the potential to reduce risk of this or at least postpone it is also a huge motivator.
__________________

__________________
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.