"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I don't fast, because my body doesn't like it, and I will faint if my sugar levels go too low. I do think however, everyone needs to know their body and needs to do what works best for them. If that is what works for you for losing weight, I totally understand. I have tried so many ways to get weight off and I think I have found what works for me for now anyway.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I only fast between meals.
LOL Ditto !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I don't fast, because my body doesn't like it, and I will faint if my sugar levels go too low. I do think however, everyone needs to know their body and needs to do what works best for them. If that is what works for you for losing weight, I totally understand. I have tried so many ways to get weight off and I think I have found what works for me for now anyway.
I have the same problem and must say that I am in complete agreement with what chopper has said.

Others have stated eating smart is the best and they are right. No need to fast if you are eating right - unless a Dr orders it for a test.

If you are eating right you will appreciate food and with controlled portions you will find your "need" to overeat will dissipate.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I fast unintentionally, when I forget to eat, get too busy, or am simply not hungry. I agree with the rest here, no diet is a magic bullet.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Master Chef

I used to do a fruit cleanse for 2 days at the end of each month just because it made me feel better and it cleaned all the junk out of my system.
I was eating fruit so I it's not a fast but I get what you are saying. It does make you feel " cleaner and fresher"

I wouldn't go as far as not eating at all and I think that doing that for 3 days a week would be a bit extreme.
I would suggest rather eating raw fruit and veggies for a few days when you feel your body needs it.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Head Chef

I'm doing it Lulu, and feel fantastic on it. I have lost weight and have more energy. I got Dr Michael Mosleys book The Fast Diet and read it through, the health benefits are impressive. He also did a Horizon programme about it and he did the diet himself. He now maintains on 6:1. Which is what I intend to do.

Your body most certainly can take it. We eat far too much in general which is why there is such an obesity problem.

I fast for two days a week, although its not strictly a fast, its 500 calories for a woman as you have said. I eat high protein foods on those days, nothing that will give me a sugar high or a slump. I drink lots of water and herbal teas. I exercise as normal.

I have not experienced any problems, I have more energy, have lost weight and I sleep well too.

Dr Michael Mosley can explain it far better than I can so do check it out online, but many people are doing this primarily for the health benefits as well as weight loss, but then, weight loss is a health benefit isnt it?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Dr Michael Mosley can explain it far better than I can so do check it out online, but many people are doing this primarily for the health benefits as well as weight loss, but then, weight loss is a health benefit isnt it?
Only if you're overweight
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
Head Chef

Of course
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Fasting is all the rage? I don't follow dieting trends, fads or rages. I lost a sister to a purging disorder. At 78 pounds, 5'7" tall, her heart simple stopped beating.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I'm doing it Lulu, and feel fantastic on it. I have lost weight and have more energy. I got Dr Michael Mosleys book The Fast Diet and read it through, the health benefits are impressive. He also did a Horizon programme about it and he did the diet himself. He now maintains on 6:1. Which is what I intend to do.

Your body most certainly can take it. We eat far too much in general which is why there is such an obesity problem.

I fast for two days a week, although its not strictly a fast, its 500 calories for a woman as you have said. I eat high protein foods on those days, nothing that will give me a sugar high or a slump. I drink lots of water and herbal teas. I exercise as normal.

I have not experienced any problems, I have more energy, have lost weight and I sleep well too.

Could you give an example of your daily menu on your fast?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Could you give an example of your daily menu on your fast?
It's been so long since i have been here I cannot remember the site protocol on links to recipes and articles,

I am sure so e one will correct me if this is not allowed, but this is a nice example. I have only so far made the courgettes (zucchini) recipe from this list but the dipping sole is high on my wish list.

5:2 diet: healthy recipes 250 calories or less - Telegraph

One of the benefits of the popularity of this ATM is the wonderful meals being published regularly, but its not hard to work out the calorie content and nutritional value of a meal or better, daily menu, using one of the apps available now. I tend to plan my menus very roughly over a week to a fortnight (days might get juggled and surprises do pop up, last minute invites etc) which I find helpful both for food management but also for budgeting/home economics.

Tbh, my main interest with my health condition is the metabolic improvements and also, with a strong family history of Alzheimer's (grandmother, then aunt with very early onset and father showing signs) the potential to reduce risk of this or at least postpone it is also a huge motivator.

Tags
cooking