Eating raw/uncooked grains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
It's a long story as to why but I read a long, long time ago that eating uncooked brown rice is "good for you"; the book I'm thinking about said to chew it 100 times. By happenstance I started reading about Raw Foods and Super Foods and so I started chomping on uncooked brown rice -- and I like it. :blink::pig:

I've been looking online for information about uncooked grains and I can't find a thing. I've noticed no ill effects since I started snacking on it early last week. In fact, I'm maybe a bit more, ahem, regular this week.... :rolleyes:

Anyone have any information to share?

Cheers,

That is horrible for your teeth! Your dentist would tell you to stop immediately I am sure.

Maybe not as bad as you think. I kind of suck on the grains for a while, kind of softly biting them as if it were gum until it eventually breaks down. It's surprisingly sweet, I think that's why I like it.
:cool::rolleyes:;)

I cannot speak to the practice of eating uncooked rice, but many grains are excellent sprouted. Wheat berries, for example.

I cannot speak to the practice of eating uncooked rice, but many grains are excellent sprouted. Wheat berries, for example.

Can we sprout brown rice?

I've been reading about people who sprout grains, beans, and legumes and then dehydrate them. That sounds counter productive to me. Has anyone here ever tried that?

It is if you look sorta like this old gal:

cow2.jpg

I actually like eating rolled oats raw. They are definitely more pleasantly textured than when zapped in the microwave into a mush.

Just out of curiosity, what does your diet say is wrong with boiling rice? :)

I don't think whole milk is saying anything is necessarily wrong with boiled rice :) possibly just questioning whether or not it would be okay to snack on unboiled brown rice, since it takes SOO long to cook in the first place.

I think I phrased that wrong, I meant to ask what is the logic behind eating raw foods. Makes sense to me for veggies but for grains I do not understand. Thanks!

Doing that sounds a little scary to me. Of course, my family seems to have trouble digesting grains in general. I just worry that it would be a bit of an "overdose" on grain. Just MO.

Maybe not as bad as you think. I kind of suck on the grains for a while, kind of softly biting them as if it were gum until it eventually breaks down. It's surprisingly sweet, I think that's why I like it.
:cool::rolleyes:;)

Soaking the rice grains in water first, may soften them and will be easier to chew. I too eat rolled oats for my breakfast raw, they are more pleasent to it without cooking.

I have found this awesome five grain hot cereal that I LOVE raw. I tend to cook it in the morning to make it hot but cook it for a mere fraction of the time to keep the texture intact.

Back
Top Bottom