"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #371
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Just got back from walking/jogging for 45 minutes. DH and I have been walking 3 miles 5 times weekly for 4 weeks now. We started jogging in intervals and we're feeling a lot better than before ~ more energy, better mood, slimmer thighs and waistline and motivated to eat healthier.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #372
Sous Chef

Exercise is a MUST..to stay Healthy

Tried different methods, plans. This works for me: I wear a step/mile counter. Dr. OZ recommends walking 5 miles a day....AND Yoga and lifting weights.(Walking all around health, Yoga relieves stress, weights/bones.

Tried many times. NOW it is working. Wear my counter and I do walk 5 miles daily Monday thru Friday. Saturday and Sunday...not enough to count.A 15 minute Yoga...stretches only. Simple. Easy. Fast. Not too time consuming. And no special effort. Just very relaxing.

Monday thru Friday: Lift 5 pound hand weights for about 5 minutes. Ride a stationery bike for 1 mile daily Monday thru Friday. It is just a little daily...but adds up. AND I AM ABLE TO DO IT. I have worked it into my daily life.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #373
Senior Cook

slowly

Exercised yesterday afternoon.

Been tough but I've been stringing together a little exercise for a few weeks. It's tough as podiatrist determined, since my last post, that I have plantar fasciatis (sp?) in left foot - I suspect in right foot, too but he didn't xray & ultrasound that one.

Bought new running & cross train shoes at the outlets yesterday so going to try a little running this afternoon or tomorrow. I did the treadmill for 15 mins yesterday, not near good enough but I've been burned out on running/treadmill/similar for a lot of years now. I'm hoping small doses will make it easier to take on more .
Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #374
Head Chef

Last week I got in a 3-4 mile hike twice and a 7 mile hike once. Today I'm walking over lunch, so 3 miles + with my work mates. (thankfully it's not too hot here right now) ~Bliss
Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #375
Senior Cook

DH and I walk 5 miles a day. Try to get in 100 mi a month. Last year we did 1125 mi. Haven't dropped a pound but haven't gained any either.
C
Old 08-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #376
Master Chef

I run regularly but I always look forward to my once weekly evening hikes with the local Sierra Club. Usually about 5-7 miles with moderate elevation gains. The pot luck evenings are fun where you have to lug your food to the top.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #377
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
DH and I walked 4.5 miles this morning.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #378
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
We did the same thing Dina... all 5 of us, 5 miles.
The little 2 were mostly in the stroller but I'm so proud of the oldest.... no whining, didn't take his bike, and even pushed the stroller most of the time!!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #379
Master Chef

i ran my stairs.
that's my daily exercise fer years, now.
i hate those stairs, ' cept i'll run 'em fer at least a minute er 2, fer cardiac health.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #380
Senior Cook

I go to The Princeton Club (east) in Madison, Wisconsin at least six times per week.

I always make sure I do the StairMaster for +one hour because it's good for my asthma. (Just go up to the gray-haired guy who sweats all over the machine and floor and say, "Gee, you must be The Tourist.")

I've been trying to incorporate at least one more muscle group per session in my lifts. I have also tried that "bell thingie" with the handle because I saw the actors train with it for the "300."

My waist shows no improvement.