"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Real butter. In reference to margarine my English friend asks "Why would a person use cart grease in their food?" I agreed with her.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Head Chef

I think, too, that there is a detectable richness, a creaminess about butter that doesn't urge you to overdose it, which I think happens with fakes. They really don't taste like butter, not even the best tasting of them. They are a kind of parody of butter. It's just not very satisfying.

And we have to remember that there is really very little known with any certainty about the effects of various fats on longevity and morbidity. People, including physicians, mistakenly react to studies as reliable and definitive, when they are not and are not meant to be. What we do know is that western Europeans and Americans have used butter, often extravagantly, for a very long time without a clearly detectable untoward effect on the heaviest consumers. So avoiding butter and lard in favor of fake butter and canola oil might well be relatively unhealthy.

Moderation also pays off. Abstinence just wastes life.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I agree as well, butter or coconut oil.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Eating more oats and beans helps keep cholesterol in check.

However for baking the butter flavored Crisco is great and very low saturated fat. Decent butter flavor.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #15
Head Chef

This: SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS), BETA CAROTENE (PRO VITAMIN A) ADDED FOR COLOR = Butter Flavored Crisco.

Now Google TBHQ and the Mono & Diglycerides ...

I'm not sure one could ever eat enough oats & beans to fix all that.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

When liquid vegetable oil is fully hydrogenated, however, almost no trans fats remain. The resulting fat is even more solid, taking on a hard, waxy consistency, even at room temperature. Full hydrogenation increases the amount of saturated fat, although much of it is in the form of stearic acid, which is converted by the body to oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, which doesn't raise levels of bad cholesterol. This makes fully hydrogenated fats less harmful than partially hydrogenated fats.

Ok TBHQ is potentially carcinogenic
Mono & Diglycerides are bad also

You're right about the last 2.

Mabye there is a butter flavored produst without TBHQ and Mono & Diglycerides
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

This might do the trick

Spectrum | Coconut Oil and Shortening
crisco alternative
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I've read a lot about saturated and unsaturated fats in butter. It sounds like neither are much good for you on this level. The bottom lines is that you add up all the grams of each and go with the lowest. Use in moderation when you can and be willing to work it off. :)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Everything is better with butter ----- real butter!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
Everything is better with butter ----- real butter!
Oh, you are certainly right, and the holy books of the three major religion agree with you. In the Torah and Old Testament, Yahweh/God lead the Israelites to a land "flowing with milk and honey" and in Holy Quran, Chap 47. Paradise is described as having "rivers of milk of which the taste never changes" -- i.e. it never goes sour. Think of all the butter that they made with that milk! On the other hand, none of them mentions organic shortening with or without (non dairy) butter flavor, and they would probably consider High Fructose Corn Syrup an "abomination"!
Cheers

Tags
butter, cooking