"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Master Chef

Speaking of oils, how come sunflower oil has disapear from the stores?

Old 05-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!!
Gadzoucks, coconut oil seems really healthy according to chart. Am I reading it correctly ?

Regards,

Steve

No, It's just the opposite. Coconut oil has lower percentages of the desirable elements of an oil and a higher percentage of undesirables.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
What do you mean? It is prooven fact that the olive oil is the healthiest.
If you were talking to me, I was referring to the chart that posted.

By the way, olive oil does not fare well at high heats and therefore breaks down at a pretty low temperature. When you see smoke, it is because the oil has broken down and that is not healthy. That is why I use grapeseed oil when searing meats.

Regards,

Steve
Old 05-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Rice Bran Oil is the best and healtiest. Here is what the CA Rice Growers have to say:

Rice Bran Oil is truly "The World's Healthiest" edible oil, containing vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients and trans fat free. It's not just delicate and flavorful, it can help lower cholesterol, fight diseases, enhance the immune system, fight free radicals and more. Rice Bran Oil is extremely light, versatile and delicious. Use it to fry, sauté, in salad dressings, baking, dipping oils and where ever you use cooking oil. Once you use it you will be amazed cooking light and healthy is also the best tasting.

Not only is it good for food but it makes excellent soap too. The majority of soapmakers use it in place of more expensive olive oil.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:

By the way, olive oil does not fare well at high heats and therefore breaks down at a pretty low temperature. When you see smoke, it is because the oil has broken down and that is not healthy. That is why I use grapeseed oil when searing meats.

Regards,

Steve
Grapeseed oil has a high smoke point, but most olive oils have pretty high ones, too. Especially refined olive oils. Many people even deep fry with olive oil.

Here's a chart
Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
...Here's a chart

Maybe you should change your name to Chart Girl
Old 05-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:

Regards,

Steve
No I was talkin to the original poster. Sorry.

As far as using olive oil for frying you are right it is not the best. But that was not the question.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann
Rice Bran Oil is the best and healtiest. Here is what the CA Rice Growers have to say:

Rice Bran Oil is truly "The World's Healthiest" edible oil, containing vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients and trans fat free. It's not just delicate and flavorful, it can help lower cholesterol, fight diseases, enhance the immune system, fight free radicals and more. Rice Bran Oil is extremely light, versatile and delicious. Use it to fry, sauté, in salad dressings, baking, dipping oils and where ever you use cooking oil. Once you use it you will be amazed cooking light and healthy is also the best tasting.

Not only is it good for food but it makes excellent soap too. The majority of soapmakers use it in place of more expensive olive oil.
I am not disputing this claim as I have no information for or against it, but I will say this. Take this information from whence it came.

Of course the makers of the oil are going to say their product is the best.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I would like to point out another consideration regarding cotton seed oil. The Fed govt. regulates what chemical herbicides and insecticides may be used on foods for human consumption. Since cotton is not considered a food, those restrictions do not apply to cotton. Different chemicals may legally be used on cotton, chemicals that are not permitted to be used on foods for human consumption.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Gadzoucks, cocnut oil seems really healthy according to chart. Am I reading it correctly ?
The Saturated fat in Coconut oil is not the unhealthy type of saturated fat that is associated with palm kernal oil and the other tropical oils. Coconut oil is by far a very healthy oil if not heated past 120 degrees. It is the oil of choice among the Raw Food advocates above olive oil.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote