"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
Speaking of oils, how come sunflower oil has disapear from the stores?
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!!
Gadzoucks, coconut oil seems really healthy according to chart. Am I reading it correctly ?

Regards,

Steve

No, It's just the opposite. Coconut oil has lower percentages of the desirable elements of an oil and a higher percentage of undesirables.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
What do you mean? It is prooven fact that the olive oil is the healthiest.
If you were talking to me, I was referring to the chart that posted.

By the way, olive oil does not fare well at high heats and therefore breaks down at a pretty low temperature. When you see smoke, it is because the oil has broken down and that is not healthy. That is why I use grapeseed oil when searing meats.

Regards,

Steve
__________________
Bam!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 270
Rice Bran Oil is the best and healtiest. Here is what the CA Rice Growers have to say:

Rice Bran Oil is truly "The World's Healthiest" edible oil, containing vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients and trans fat free. It's not just delicate and flavorful, it can help lower cholesterol, fight diseases, enhance the immune system, fight free radicals and more. Rice Bran Oil is extremely light, versatile and delicious. Use it to fry, sauté, in salad dressings, baking, dipping oils and where ever you use cooking oil. Once you use it you will be amazed cooking light and healthy is also the best tasting.

Not only is it good for food but it makes excellent soap too. The majority of soapmakers use it in place of more expensive olive oil.
__________________
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!!
If you were talking to me, I was referring to the chart that posted.

By the way, olive oil does not fare well at high heats and therefore breaks down at a pretty low temperature. When you see smoke, it is because the oil has broken down and that is not healthy. That is why I use grapeseed oil when searing meats.

Regards,

Steve
Grapeseed oil has a high smoke point, but most olive oils have pretty high ones, too. Especially refined olive oils. Many people even deep fry with olive oil.

Here's a chart
__________________
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
...Here's a chart

Maybe you should change your name to Chart Girl
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!!
If you were talking to me, I was referring to the chart that posted.

By the way, olive oil does not fare well at high heats and therefore breaks down at a pretty low temperature. When you see smoke, it is because the oil has broken down and that is not healthy. That is why I use grapeseed oil when searing meats.

Regards,

Steve
No I was talkin to the original poster. Sorry.

As far as using olive oil for frying you are right it is not the best. But that was not the question.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann
Rice Bran Oil is the best and healtiest. Here is what the CA Rice Growers have to say:

Rice Bran Oil is truly "The World's Healthiest" edible oil, containing vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients and trans fat free. It's not just delicate and flavorful, it can help lower cholesterol, fight diseases, enhance the immune system, fight free radicals and more. Rice Bran Oil is extremely light, versatile and delicious. Use it to fry, sauté, in salad dressings, baking, dipping oils and where ever you use cooking oil. Once you use it you will be amazed cooking light and healthy is also the best tasting.

Not only is it good for food but it makes excellent soap too. The majority of soapmakers use it in place of more expensive olive oil.
I am not disputing this claim as I have no information for or against it, but I will say this. Take this information from whence it came.

Of course the makers of the oil are going to say their product is the best.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,602
I would like to point out another consideration regarding cotton seed oil. The Fed govt. regulates what chemical herbicides and insecticides may be used on foods for human consumption. Since cotton is not considered a food, those restrictions do not apply to cotton. Different chemicals may legally be used on cotton, chemicals that are not permitted to be used on foods for human consumption.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Union City Michigan next to a Nudist Resort
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!!
Gadzoucks, cocnut oil seems really healthy according to chart. Am I reading it correctly ?
The Saturated fat in Coconut oil is not the unhealthy type of saturated fat that is associated with palm kernal oil and the other tropical oils. Coconut oil is by far a very healthy oil if not heated past 120 degrees. It is the oil of choice among the Raw Food advocates above olive oil.
__________________

__________________

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.