"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Head Chef

Healthy, then once a week or every two weeks?

I really hate the idea of giving up the meals I love to make the most, so I'm wondering..

I want Nick and I to follow a healthier meal plan. If I do this, would it be okay to make a nice sunday dinner, once a week? Or would that be too much? Every second sunday, would that be better?

I mean, it wouldn't be something like fries smothered in gravy with curd, with two hot dogs kinda thing lol.. it'll be as healthy as I can make the meal, like a really nice stir fry, or ribs, whatever we want kind of thing. We try and eat fairly healthy nonetheless, but it isn't enough to help with our weight loss.

Need help! :)

Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
We try and eat fairly healthy nonetheless, but it isn't enough to help with our weight loss.
Diet alone isn't enough...you must excercise on a regular basis, too.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
To answer your question a once-a-week cheat day is just fine!

And bowlingshirt is right - it takes some calorie burning too - just walking will help.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
everything in moderation.

Activity is key, but also, a healthy balanced meal helps. Also, instead of 3 squares a day, snack through out on small healthy snacks to kick start the metabolism.

I have said a million times, it is ok to give into cravings, or enjoy that meal you really like, if you don't, then the next time you have it you WILL over do it.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

Activity is a given, I'm talking about food intake. Specifically, one "cheat" meal a week.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
no worries. Unless you are dining on 6lbs of bacon wrapped butter on the "off" day, you will be fine.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Head Chef

Great, thanks LOL

There goes my plan for dining on bacon wrapped scallops all day.. LOL!!

Or better yet.. regular bacon wrapped in peameal bacon on a bed of thick sliced maple bacon topped with scallop FLAVORED bacon grease.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Activity is a given, I'm talking about food intake. Specifically, one "cheat" meal a week.
Of course you can make a decent Sunday dinner without having to worry about it being healthy if you remember two things:

First of all, try to keep the balance of your meal as close to 30% protein, 30% fat (less than 10% saturated), and 40% carbohydrates.

Second, practice portion control. A serving of meat or poultry is 4 ounces, not counting the bones, unless you plan on eating the bones, of course. A serving of yellow or green vegetables is 1 cup, cooked. A serving of carbohydrates such as potaotes, rice, or macaroni, is 1/2 cup cooked. Do not count peas or corn as vegetables. They are carbohydrates. Salad is a free-for-all. You can eat as much as you like, as long as you limit the dressing to 2 tablespoons. I've actually seen Graham Kerr apply 1 tablespoon of vinegar based salad dressing to 12 ounces of salad by using his salad spinner. I wouldn't recommend trying this with thousand island or ranch dressing, though. You can even have dessert, if you limit the portion size. Take a tip from Mrs. Smith, of the frozen fuit pies Smiths. According to the packaging, one serving is 1/12th of a pie. Good luck cutting a nine-inch diameter pie into 12 pieces, and good luck again getting the first slice out of the pie tin!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
And, if one day a week you want pizza just eat it. It's called a "cheat" day for a reason

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Head Chef

LOL sounds great!

During the week I'll be looking forward to that Sunday dinner. It'll get me through the week!