"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

Three litres of water a day are healthy. Anything above that might not be that good. That's at least what I've heard.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #52
Senior Cook

My first wife was in the hospital shortly after we were married. (She nearly poisoned herself using a spray oven cleaner without any ventilation! - a young newlywed without any kitchen experience.) Anyway, the lady in the bed beside her was a waterholic - and when she had first checked in, was drinking 3-4 gallons per day! It did cause her all sorts of medical problems!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #53
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSarah View Post
Three litres of water a day are healthy. Anything above that might not be that good. That's at least what I've heard.
Thats a LOT of water. A whole lot depends on both climate and metabolism. Someone in a hot climate might need 3 litres but that is quite excessive where I live.

Keep in mind too that we take in liquid from other sources as well. Juice, tea, anything you drink that isn't caffeinated would provide some of the hydration your body requires.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

i drink a lot of water during the day. i buy water from the grocery store, when bottles are empty, i fill with tap water and store in fridge. tastes the same to me. once a month i throw all the bottles away and start over. since i am only one drinking it, don't worry about germs, etc.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Babetoo, why not get a snazzy stainless steel water bottle? Way cheaper, much less waste. :)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

that might work as well but would need two, i like the water cold. the water is on sale here usually below three dollars. which to me is not a lot. i recycle the bottles when i am ready to replace. i have two trash cans one for garbage and one for recycle. thanks for imput
Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #57
Assistant Cook

When I said three litres I meant just water because drinking 2 litres of soft drinks for example isn't really healthy at all.

3-4 gallons a day??? That can't be right. I can't believe that a single person can drink that much during just one day.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #58
Sous Chef

3 liters is just a little over 3 quarts isn't it? That's not too bad. A quart above a half gallon.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #59
Head Chef

I haven't read through this entire thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

Water is extremely healthy, probably the single most important thing you can consume aside from oxygen. Eight to 12 glasses per day is still the standard recommendation, and I believe that includes water in all forms -- plain, sodas, coffee, etc.

BUT, and it's a HUGE but, too much water is bad for you and can actually kill you. Google "Water Intoxication" is you don't believe that. And read this news article:

Woman in water-drinking contest dies - Life- msnbc.com
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #60
Master Chef

Even when we were in the trailer, "only" traveling the 48, I drank bottled water ... because some people's systems (I drink a LOT of water) can't handle the changes in perfectly good water. I'd get the runs and get weird little blisters on the back of my hands. At the time my husband only drank a glass or two of water a day so he never experienced it. He "got" gout, and one of the treatments is drinking more water (and yes, it does work). I've always done quarts (might be a gallon or two at the end of a hot day). Even as a child I drank a lot of water. Whenever we'd move (I think it averaged every 2-3 years), I'd have the runs and these blisters. So when we were on the road I'd buy purified water and it seems to do the trick. I avoid tap water here (used to have reverse osmosis, now just have a pur filter) because we live on top of old lead mines, and the water can sometimes taste really lousy because of chlorine. In the summer I put about a gallon and a half of water in pitchers in the fridge (no a/c), in the winter don't bother to refridgerate our water, but do make a pot of tea of varying kinds and keep it on a warmer burner I have.