"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #81
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
But, in fact, I've always been a thirsty girl. For some reason, I'm always thirsty. Oh, by the way, yes, I've asked if there is a medical reason for my thirst. Nope.
Ive always been rather thirsty myself. A couple years ago I worked night shift in a cabinet factory. I would go to work with 2-32 oz bottles of Gatorade (in the summer). Start the shift drinking one, then refill it 2-3 times before lunch. Open the other bottle right after lunch, and refill it 3-5 times (depending on overtime) before close of shift. Now I work in a kitchen in front of a grill for 5-9 hours a night. I cant keep track of how many times the servers refill my cup. Even days off though, i still burn through over a gallon of water a day.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #82
Assistant Cook

Is there really any debate

Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #83
Head Chef

As long as there is Mankind there will be debate and disagreement, often without known rational reasoning.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #84
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
As long as there is Mankind there will be debate and disagreement, often without known rational reasoning.

haha definately!
Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #85
Assistant Cook

Drinking enough water and staying hydrated is one of the most important elements of a healthy diets.

It is also important to be conscious of what you are drinking your water out of. BPA, bisphenol-A, is a harmful chemical that has been leaching from plastic bottles and even some canteens. Stick to stainless steel canteens when drinking you 8 glasses a day!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #86
Assistant Cook

I certainly support water drinking but I am a hot drinks person (being in Scotland!!) so I add a little hot water to mine. I do use jug filtered water though as there is a lot of chlorine in our supply I
Old 11-28-2009, 05:25 AM   #87
Assistant Cook

I don't think so that only drinking water can bring those changes. Drinking water does help by making you feel fresh and healthy but just water cannot be your part of a diet. Water helps to make your skin glow but there is definitely going to be something extra that could have brought those changes in you.
cookingexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #88
Assistant Cook

I'm sorry but personally, I'm scared of tap water. Even though the concentrations of pollutants in the water are very well regulated, I feel that sometimes, the lobbyists from chemical factories have quite a lot of power to convince the regulators to raise the concentration limit of pollutants. Like for instance, the limit of the amount of arsenic in water allowed has been reduced 75% several years ago, so you could imagine before that, people were consuming 3 times the amount of arsenic as they did today. Of course, something similar could happen today with another chemical.

Simply put, I just don't trust the regulators. The only waters I drink are filtered water, or, if I have enough money to spend, FIJI or Dasani. I understand a lot of people may not be a big fan of Dasani, but I've been to their factories a couple of times and they're very ethical people.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #89
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetone View Post
I'm sorry but personally, I'm scared of tap water. Even though the concentrations of pollutants in the water are very well regulated..

They aren't regulated!!! By U.S. federal law only 91 polutants are required to be tested for in drinking water. That law is old and has never been updated. A recent government study (released on FOX and NBC news week before last), revealed more than 65,400 carcinogenic chemicals in our drinking water are unregulated, untested for, and have unknown effects on the human body in the quantities found.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #90
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie
more than 65,400 carcinogenic chemicals in our drinking water are unregulated
Oh my gosh!

Thanks for letting me know.