"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How healthy is drinking water?

Does anyone know how healthy drinking water really is? I think it is actually something taken for granted a lot. For the last 6 months i have been drinking almost nothing but water and i have noticed i have a lot more energy, feel more awake, my skin is healthier and overall i feel a lot healthier.

Can this really all be a result of changing my diet slightly by only drinking water or do you think that there's a big chance there are actually many other factors involved?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A lot depends on what you were drinking before and how much. Any change in your helath or general condition is a combination of foods and beverages you added, those you stopped along with changes in activity and environment.

The helathfulness of drinking water would vary from location to location and from time to time. You can't make a blanket statement.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Everymom

Xtermin8or, upping your water intake will definitely have a positive influence on many things. It is just your body getting what it really needs to work properly and flush toxins out of your system (thus the clearer skin). But, as Andy says, much depends on what you were drinking before that you have eliminated.

The water itself has no magical health properties or any additives that make it wonderful. Its just the liquid our bodies need to work efficiently. Drinking the right amount everyday just helps things work right.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Head Chef

My city provides a report on its drinking water twice a year. It's better than the 'bottled' stuff for the most part.

Just don't be excessive on drinking water. People have actually died from drinking too much of it, but in your case it seems your change of diet and more water intake was needed by your body to function correctly so you saw an improvement.

You are no different than a plant that gets sufficient water and nutrients. In the right balance you get a happy plant with lots of blooms. :D
Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Yeah actually as well as only drinking water in the last 6 months i have also cut down on eating chocolates, and other fatty foods and increased the amount of vegetables, fruits, etc i eat. But i still think the water was the main thing that helped IMHO. :)
Old 12-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Ditto to what Andy and Alix have already said. Just to add a few things, most people do not drink enough to begin with. Anytime you are thirsty you are already dehydrated to some degree. You should never get to the thirsty point. Of course that is not realistically possible, but knowing that when you are thirsty you really do need to replenish your liquids is an important step. Water is going to be better for you in most cases than most other things, especially when it comes to soda and sugary juices.

You also have to be careful not to drink too much water. That can kill you believe it or not. I actually came very close to passing out from drinking too much water once. thankfully a friend was with me and saw the color change in my face and made me lie down. Had I kept drinking I could have died.

Edited to add: Sorry mcnerd, I started posting before your post went through. I did not mean to leave you out.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Wow i never realised how over drinking was so serious and that people have actually died from it! I guess the trick is you just have to be balanced in everything you do.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-termin8or View Post
Wow i never realised how over drinking was so serious and that people have actually died from it! I guess the trick is you just have to be balanced in everything you do.
Exactly. Like "they" always say, too much of anything is not good.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Cook

My sister just to loose weight started drinking nothing but water and it works well for her. In the past year she has lost 60 pounds. She does exercise to though.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Head Chef

Water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by over-consumption of water.