"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-07-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Everymom

Gatorade and Headaches

OK, I just tested something out that I read a little while ago and it worked. I read that if you drink 500ml of Gatorade (or another electrolyte balancer/sport drink thing) when you have a headache that will get rid of it so you don't need to take any analgesics.

I tried it, it worked.

I have also read that similar amounts of water will do the trick. I've tried that as well, but with no success. I drink a LOT of water most of the time anyway so I wasn't sure if there would be a difference with the Gatorade. For me anyway, it worked.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK, I just tested something out that I read a little while ago and it worked. I read that if you drink 500ml of Gatorade (or another electrolyte balancer/sport drink thing) when you have a headache that will get rid of it so you don't need to take any analgesics.

I tried it, it worked.

I have also read that similar amounts of water will do the trick. I've tried that as well, but with no success. I drink a LOT of water most of the time anyway so I wasn't sure if there would be a difference with the Gatorade. For me anyway, it worked.
Sounds like a job for MythBusters, Alix!
From what I understand, one of the reasons headaches happen is that essential electrolytes/minerals, etc., get flushed out of the system ( often after sporting activity), thus creating headache.
I do know that Gatorade gives me dreadful acidity!

Old 12-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I believe that that would actually work Alix. We do not treat our bodies to their required nutrients every day and after awhile I think we react. It makes perfect sense to me!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
I do know that Gatorade gives me dreadful acidity!
Yea, that's a whole new problem! lol I was thirsty one time and my son made some Tang - I drank A LOT OF TANG and found out just how bad my acid reflux was (sorry, I know this is off-topic - but what you drink doesn't have to be acidic - I get acid reflux from water if I don't take my medicine)

Old 12-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
Everymom

Oooooooooo! I love Mythbusters. How the heck would they be able to test this one though? They couldn't set fire to, or blow anything up?!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Oh they would find a way Alix
Old 12-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

The last time I had gatorade was years ago. Somewhat a long story, but I will try to make it short.

I was at camp with a broken leg in a cast. I was sick of being cooped up so I decided to (carefully) go sailing with some friends. I had this rubber thing that went over the cast so I could shower. I put that on and out we went. Our boat capsized and I was floating in the water for hours in the strong summer sun. When we finally got to shore I made it to my bed and collapsed. My cast was soaked through and was about as strong as cardboard. I felt myself slipping into nowhere. A friend noticed I was not right and got the nurse. Turns out I was having a heat stroke. One of the things she did for my was get as much fluid into my body as possible. The way she did that was take bottles of gaitorade and load them up with salt and force me to drink them. To this day I can not drink the stuff without tasting massive salt.

I would rather have the headache now then drink that stuff
Old 12-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Master Chef

I guess it would work if your headache is caused by dehydration.

I drink gatorade all the time! Still have headaches ...
Old 12-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
Everymom

Oh gross GB. I don't much care for Gatorade either but I thought I'd give it a go to see if it worked. I would rather scarf some than take pills. Maybe not if I had been in your shoes...er...cast though.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

It's the salt issue with me too - but I was on a low salt diet for years and just can't hack Gatorade.