I don't know how to cook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Bobby! Welcome!

Everyone has given you such good ideas it's hard to add anything to them ... but there is one resouce for learning to cook that has not been mentioned. Your Mom! Or, your grandmother, or an aunt. I'm sure they would be flattered that you asked for their help - and would enjoy your company in the kitchen.

Bobby,

My brother was in the same position last year when he came to me and asked me to teach him how to cook. Since I live out of state I decided to make him a beginners cookbook which would require little equiptment. I have posted a few of those recipes under the misc. section for you. They are great recipes to start with (some aren't low fat though), simple and inexpensive so if a recipe doesn't turn out it isn't a big deal. One of the recipes I posted the other day. It was one of his first recipes to cook and it is still his favorite today.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9036

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome Welcome Welcome Bobby. I was going to give you a menu to make but I'm sure you'll find enough in a cookbook. You'll get some great ideas. You also might want to subscribe to Cooking Light.

I love to soak boneless skinless chicken breasts in buttermilk for about 3 days. On the 4th day when I get up I will remove from that marinade (throw it away) and soak in equal amounts of teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice and then add some dry sherry, fresh ginger (about 1/2 tsp), 1 large chopped garlic clove, and a tsp. of Splenda. Remove from that marinade and cook. I brown both sides in a skillet first then finish in oven. Add a couple boiled new potatoes (red potatoes) with some spray butter, garlic salt, pepper, parsley, and steamed veggie of your choice and you've got a pretty healthy meal. If you have to watch sugar then the pineapple juice may be a problem. BUT the buttermilk is still the way to go to tenderize it.

Last edited:
You should also try looking into your local community/jr. colleges and see if any of them offer culinary programs. See if you can just enroll in their introduction classes without actually having to enroll in the culinary program itself. A lot of the colleges also offer "adult educational classes" which include some sort of night/weekend culinary class as well.

I agree with GB about Alton Brown. I've never used his recipes, but I have used information I learned from the show.

For an introduction to cooking processes, lots of definitions and relatively easy recipes written understandably, I would say Cooking for Dummies and How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.

Another good basic cookbook, that I have enjoyed and found helpful over the years is Betty Crocker.

Subject: Replies.

Okay, sorry it’s taken so long for me to respond. I started a big response yesterday, but my computer froze up, then I didn’t feel like typing it all up again J Anyway, here we go:

Utensils to invest in: Whisk, wooden spoons, set of knives – I think I might be able to scrap up a used set from my mom. She hasn’t taken very good care of them, but it should get me started. As long as I’m stealing a knives set, I should steal a cutting board too :-D

Books to look into:

Any children’s cook book

Miller, Bryan Cooking for Dummies

Bitterman, Mark How to Cook Everything (is it Bittman or Bitterman?

Betty Crocker

TV Shows to watch: Paula Dean, Rachael Ray's 30 Min Meals, How To Boil Water, Food 911, Everyday Italian, and Good Eats. Are these all on Food Network?

As far as the Community College thing goes, yes, there is one here. I may be able to get into a course this summer (for kids), but if I’m too old for that, I can get into something in the fall in my schedule permits.

I appreciate everyone’s warm welcomes and advice.

Rainee, the Terms & Techniques forum was very useful, thank you.

Wasabi- that page by page link will be very useful until I can buy the book myself, thank you.

PolishedTopaz, very insightful link, thank you.

I REALLY appreciate the recipe’s that was the main thing I hoped to get from this thread.

Again, I appreciate all the replies. Thank you all so much for pointing me in the right direction. Feel free to continue to add pointers.

Oh yeah. No one in my family knows how to cook either L

Well that explains alot!!! LMAO As someone said before you came to the right place........we can be your "cooking" family:) . And remember there is no such thing as a "dumb" question! You are guaranteed [sp?] to get a honest and fast response to any and all questions.

Oh with your moms' knives.........take them to a pro to have them sharpened BEFORE you put them to ANY food. Because a dull knife will cut you faster and worse than a sharp one.

Last edited:
Also check your local newspaper for groups that may be having a cooking class, i.e like the local tea/garden club,etc.

Around here the school districts often offer adult education classes. The cooking classes are usually themed such as for diabetics, heart patients etc. The plus is that you would learn healthy recipes.

AND if all of that great advice fails - it certainly would be an attractant to a member of the opposite *** to simply say - "I don't know how to cook - will you help me?" Now what woman could resist that plea?????:)

ah, if only I were into women. The handle "bobby" can be so deceiving

GB- don't worry about the simple spelling mistake, I appreciate that getting me the information was your first priority. I would have figured out the correct spelling sooner or later, even had no one responed to that rude comment of mine. :)

Your comment was certainly not rude :)

Another suggestion might be to go to your local library and check out these cookbooks before you buy them. Everyone has different tastes in cookbooks and some will appeal to you more than others. For instance one of the most popular and cherished cookbooks out there is The Joy Of Cooking. I bet 99% of the people on this board love that book and find it amazingly valuable. I am in the %1. I bought it without even looking at it. I just went on reputation. For some reason this cookbook just does not speak to me so I never use it. Had I gone to the library and checked it out first I could have saved myself some $$$ :)

:ROFLMAO: Ok............now we know Bobby is a girl!

Here's a simple recipe...........I hope you like Aspargus:

Asparagus.........now these are sold in bundles but if your just cooking for yourself you don't have to buy the whole bundle as your charged by the pound so you may want to just pull out 8 or so spears. I love the stuff and could eat a whole bundle :) .

Ok.......you can do this several ways but here are the two I ways I make mine.

(Cooking Inside)
Put a pot of water on your stove and turn the heat on high.
Now take your asparagus to the sink and give it a rinse. Now with each asparagus spear grab ahold of it with one hand on one end and the other hand on the other. Now bend the asparagus. This will cause the bottom end to snap off. You throw the bottom end away as this is the tough part and you don't want to eat it.
Now if the asparagus is not very thich.....about the size of a pencil then you don't have to do anything more. Now if its the thickness of say 3 pencils put together then you need to take a vegetable peeler and peel off the the top layer from about 1/2 way down.
Now get a large mixing bowl and put some cold water in it and add some ice.....I'll explain soon.
When your water is boiling add 1/8 tsp salt and throw in your asparagus. You only want the asparagus to be in the hot water for 2 minutes (This technique is called Blanching) and then take them out and put them in the ice water (This is called an Ice Bath.........your shocking the vegetable and this keeps the color a vibrant green). After being in the ice bath for about 30 seconds remove them and put them in a non stick skillet thats on a low setting . I then add 1 tbsp margarine some salt and pepper........just a pinch of each. Only keep them in the skillet till the margarine melts.........moving the asparagus around to coat with the margarine and S & P..........your done!

Now if your making them on the grill. Prepare the asparagus the same way as far as washing, snapping off the tough end and peeling the top layer if needed. Toss the aspargus with some Extra Virgin Olive Oil.......I'd say 1 teaspoon and a pinch of salt and pepper. Rub the Oil and S & P all over the aspargus and then take them out of the bowl and put them on the grill. Cook for about 2 minutes on one side then turn and cook on the other and your all done!

If you want to cook some chicken to go along with the aspargus...........about 2 hours before your ready to eat:

Wash a chicken breast and remove excess fat. Put the chicken in a resealable plastic food bag. Add the following in the bag also:

The juice of 1 lemon, 1 lime, 1 orange. To really get the juice out roll the fruit roll each under your palm on the counter kind of like mushing it down while rolling it around. Cut the fruit in half and squeeze the juice out of each half. Squeeze with the cut side facing the ceiling this way the seeds won't fall into the bag.

Also add 1 clove of garlic that you finely chop. Once you start watching those cooking shows you'll discover the easiest way to get this garlic finely minced or chopped.

Add a few pinches of Salt & Pepper. Also, 1 tsp. chili powder and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.

Once all these ingredients are added to the bag then move the chicken around to get all the ingredients all over it. Seal the bag and throw it in the refrigerator and let it remain for 2 hours. This is called marinating your meat.

About 10 minutes before your ready to put your asparagus on the grill take the meat out of the bag and add your chicken to the grill. You'll cook the chicken on medium high heat for I'd say 5 minutes. This side will be nicely browned......then flip it over and do the same on the other side. Remove the chicken and put on a plate and immediately add your aspargus to the grill. Sitting the meat to the side for these few minutes is what is called resting your meat. This gets all the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.

You can buy a grill pan and cook the chicken and asparagus on top of your stove instead.

I hope all this makes sense to you. If you lived close I'd tell you to get your buns over here and I'd walk you through it. The amounts of spices and juices are an estimate. I cook for more than one but figured those amounts are probably what I'd use for just myself. If you have any questions please feel free to give me a holler.

Back
Top Bottom