"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Everymom

ISO chest congestion remedies

Before you all start telling me to go to the doctor, I will go on Monday. I just refuse to go to anyone but my own doctor. We got home too late for me to squeeze in today so I'm stuck til Monday.

So...symptoms:

-Wet cough (and yes, productive and not pretty) in the morning, dry by evening. Uncontrollable sometimes...necessitating a brace against a wall or leg crossing.
-No fever, but fatigue. LOTS of fatigue.
-Very slight nasal congestion. No more than my usual allergy related stuff though so I would discount this as a symptom.

So my biggest issue is the coughing. It is really starting to hurt me bad. I ache from the base of my spine to the top of my head. I haven't cracked any ribs yet, but lordy I cough hard enough to do that.

I'm sucking back tea like there is no tomorrow. Mint is top of my list, inhaling the steam and drinking it. I'd love some other ideas to help me get through this ASAP. I have a LOT to do the next couple of weeks and I need to be in top shape to get there. Help?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Cook

This sounds pretty stupid but it got me through a bad weekend last winter.

Turn your shower on hot, high. Sit in the steamy room with a hot tea and some menthol drops.

Relax and waste water.

Don't tell environmentalists.

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Half Baked

I would do zinc cough drops and robitussin DM if it were me.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
Head Chef

For the cough: Peppermint tea is great, as is Eucalyptus.

For the general cold, take Chewable Acerola C tablets with Bioflavonoids, 500 mg each. Also, sublingual B12.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Don't discount good old Vick's or mentholatum for your chest, that would help ease your muscles and the congestion.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Master Chef

There are many herbal remedies you could try. Here's a few of my favourites.
Mix one tsp of turmeric in a little water and drink 3 times daily. Taste horrible but it works wonders. Just swallow it fast!

You can also make yourself a cup of strong ginger tea with honey and lemon. I add 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper, it opens my chest fast.

Rub some vicks vapour rub on your chest and back and the bottoms of your feet (yes your feet, it stops the coughing!)

Another good home remedy would be Echinacea Drops, just buy some at the pharmacy and drink as it says on the bottle.

Garlic, parsley and watercress are also great for colds and flu.

I never go to the Dr for cold and flu, I've never needed too, just use what I have in the house.

Hope you can use one of these. Turmeric is a natural antibiotic, anti microbial and anti inflammatory. You can get them in capsule form if you can't stand the taste.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Mucinex is really good for congestion. It breaks mine up in a hurry. Be aware that you will be spitting up junk. Our daugter's doctor told her to use it for fibromyalgia as it also removes the junk from tissues involved.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
Mucinex is really good for congestion. It breaks mine up in a hurry. Be aware that you will be spitting up junk. Our daughter's doctor told her to use it for fibromyalgia as it also removes the junk from tissues involved.
Very good stuff....Like Licia says...it keeps your cough 'productive'... and this is a good thing...For the cough...peppermint in some bourbon...sip slowly!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Make a tea with thyme. It's good for coughing. My Mom had a chronic, violent morning cough that was helped by regular use of the thyme.

Drink it like you're doing with the mint, it's good to drink, but equally as good in aromatherapy.

I hope you're feeling much better soon!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Executive Chef

delsym might be your short term answer, alix. delsym is an otc cough syrup, only it is customarily kept behind the counter at the pharmacy. so you have to ask for it by name. imo, delsym is as effective a cough suppressant as is codeine. but, if you can get the codeine, it's probably more enjoyable to use....so long as you keep that doctor's appointment, alix--the delsym or the codeine will only suppress your cough and give you some much needed peace, won't cure a thing. good luck.... :)