"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You may want to contact the pharmaceutical company that makes the drug to see if you can get it for free.
That would be a patient assistance plan. One is http://www.needymeds.org/index.htm

I used one to get a very expensive drug for IV. But a person has to prove they can't afford it and that has need has to be verified by your doctor.

I suppose a person could lie----- but I didn't have to. Each med/manufacturer has a slightly different protocol.
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
The person who said getting old wasn't for sissies was totally correct.

Last month I had the privilege(?) of achieving Medicare status. Yeah, rah! Applause please.

As a result, one of the medications I've been taking the last 14+ years is not on the Medicare "approved" list, which means I have to pay the full price out of my pocket. Now, instead of $15 for a 90-day fill to (checking with my local Walgreen's) $150 for the same quantity. Pew!

Does anyone know of any mail order or Internet site that I can check with to find a lower rate? I have about 30 days left in my current supply so I'm not up against a wall...yet.
I think I'd be very wary of getting my meds from an internet site. You've no guarantee that they are the correct dosage or have been safely manufactured to US standards or even that they are the real McCoy.

When you take your prescription to the chemist couldn't you ask them if there is a "generic" version that is on the Medicare list? Over here adults of working age pay £7 per item on the prescription regardless of whether it's aspirin or the most expensive drug in the NHS's book but if we want to save the NHS money we can ask the chemist if, instead of "Dr Blogg's Pink Pills", is there an equivalent generic form of Pink Pills that we can have instead. Are you allowed to do that?
__________________

__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I think I'd be very wary of getting my meds from an internet site. You've no guarantee that they are the correct dosage or have been safely manufactured to US standards or even that they are the real McCoy
That's the politically correct viewpoint.

Often in the U.S. a pharmacist might automatically give you the generic unless the doctor has put---- 'no substitutions' on the rx. I know my pharmacy does.

So I always have my doctor indicate that I get the brand name not the generic on drugs that are still under patent or still sold by brand name.

Speaking of generics---- they can have different amounts of the ''real' drug in it too.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
That's the politically correct viewpoint.

Often in the U.S. a pharmacist might automatically give you the generic unless the doctor has put---- 'no substitutions' on the rx. I know my pharmacy does.

So I always have my doctor indicate that I get the brand name not the generic on drugs that are still under patent or still sold by brand name.

Speaking of generics---- they can have different amounts of the ''real' drug in it too.
Doesn't happen here (or it shouldn't!). The generic must be identical. I asked my doctor and the chemist when I was prescribed something and they confirmed this. The manufacturer's packaging has to state the percentage of the "active" ingredient.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I think I'd be very wary of getting my meds from an internet site. You've no guarantee that they are the correct dosage or have been safely manufactured to US standards or even that they are the real McCoy.

When you take your prescription to the chemist couldn't you ask them if there is a "generic" version that is on the Medicare list? Over here adults of working age pay £7 per item on the prescription regardless of whether it's aspirin or the most expensive drug in the NHS's book but if we want to save the NHS money we can ask the chemist if, instead of "Dr Blogg's Pink Pills", is there an equivalent generic form of Pink Pills that we can have instead. Are you allowed to do that?
Unfortunately, there is no generic of the medication I am seeking. However, I did stumble across a U.S. search site that compares prescription prices (in my geographic area - within my zip code) and alerts me to the best price. If they are on the level, I can get a 90-day supply from a nearby pharmacy for $50. Sounds much better than $150.

But...

Tuesday when I go to do my weekly marketing, I plan to take my med bottle with me and visit all the pharmacies in the town where I shop. That includes some of the big guys such as CVS and RiteAid, along with a few mom-and-pop places. I'll see how it all pans out. I'm a little more optimistic than I was earlier today.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Doesn't happen here (or it shouldn't!). The generic must be identical. I asked my doctor and the chemist when I was prescribed something and they confirmed this. The manufacturer's packaging has to state the percentage of the "active" ingredient.
Back tomorrow to post about this---- I turn into a pumpkin about this time every night. Actually I'm going to watch Monuments Men. I am SO looking forward to it!

Here's something to read from Dr. Oz. (I have no idea, yet, if this applies to Europe or UK)

What You Need to Know About Generic Drugs | The Dr. Oz Show

I'm not a fan of Dr. Oz, but here is one time he nailed it. I looked up all his statements at the NIH or FDA and CDC and found them to be true.

Back later---- George Clooney, here I come.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #27
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 810
Your doctor might be able to write a letter explaining that this particular medication is the only one that works for you. Of course the doctor needs to be willing to do that. My doctor did that for me on one medication. My co-pay is still pretty high,but I can handle under $100 for 90 supply. Otherwise, I would also suggest Costco. I'm pretty sure Costco has a mail order pharmacy service.
__________________
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
Your doctor might be able to write a letter explaining that this particular medication is the only one that works for you. Of course the doctor needs to be willing to do that. My doctor did that for me on one medication. My co-pay is still pretty high,but I can handle under $100 for 90 supply. Otherwise, I would also suggest Costco. I'm pretty sure Costco has a mail order pharmacy service.
Thanks for the suggestion, Oldvine. My doctor has already written a letter and we've gone through the appeals process to no avail. I'll look into the possibility of Costco's mail order arm.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #29
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
Be sure to check online for coupons.
My pharmacist told me about this and it saved me a few buck on a drug I need to take before a procedure.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
That would be a patient assistance plan. One is http://www.needymeds.org/index.htm

I used one to get a very expensive drug for IV. But a person has to prove they can't afford it and that has need has to be verified by your doctor.

I suppose a person could lie----- but I didn't have to. Each med/manufacturer has a slightly different protocol.
Whether there's an income threshold depends on the manufacturer and the med, and it can change over time. When I first started taking the one I mentioned, our income was too high to qualify but a few months ago, when I called for a refill, the pharmacy technician signed me up for the co-pay discount with no income threshold. I suppose they assumed I needed it because I had the prescription and last year, my doctor did a test for antibodies to verify that it was still effective.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.