"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
Sous Chef

well I'm sorry in advance for being blunt, but that mixture is really awful, mate. In fact, it's absolutely ....

I won't go there, but I WILL ask you where you're going camping, because if you can't cook, it must be the North Pole or the middle of the Gobi Desert.
How long is your trip? Where are you going? Why can't you prepare something decent? What about dried veg/meat/fish, etc., are the relevant questions I'd be asking.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
Sous Chef

How about dehydration, assuming you will have a safe drinking water supply. Dehydrated will reduce the weight/bulk of the items that have a fairly large water content. The bread could be tortillas, pita or any flat bread. You could make a stew or eat as is; it just won't be a blended drink or bar.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Ok i dont wanna point out the obvious here.. but think about it would you mix ground beef and orangejuice with oats and nuts to make a normal meal..just reading it gives me the chills!!"

How the heck would you store something like that.. it would have to be consumed in a day or 2 and you would have to keep it cold. Anyway enough about that its make me sickie...

Ok... now your looking for quick easy things to take withyou..

Why not make up some granola bars or flapjacks that you can make before hand cut up into portions and wrap?? You can add dried fruits nuts etc

As far as taking things why not take dry soup mix.. it has vegetables etc and you can just add hot water to it.. or a stock cube and hot water all easily transported.

As for meats etc why not invest in a food dehydrater make some jerky?

Anyway just some thoughts.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
No offense, sounds like "greull". I can't quite see how a liquified mush is gonna be palateable, unless it is through a tube.

There is a LARGE variety of low impact, low pack, low prep, HIGHLY tasty camp food. Don't "blenderize" things...if that is what they want, pack some ensure for every meal.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It gave me the "willies" too! lol We cook here for the pure simple joy of eating - I'm not "pushing" you somewhere else but maybe some kind of site that is devoted to hiking and camping might get you better results! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
well I'm sorry in advance for being blunt, but that mixture is really awful, mate. In fact, it's absolutely ....

I won't go there, but I WILL ask you where you're going camping, because if you can't cook, it must be the North Pole or the middle of the Gobi Desert.
How long is your trip? Where are you going? Why can't you prepare something decent? What about dried veg/meat/fish, etc., are the relevant questions I'd be asking.
The thing is, yeah you can bring dried meat and reconstitute it. Or make a nice stew and reconstitute that, along with some nice tasty bread and fresh fruits.

BUT the more stuff you add like that, the more cumbersome it gets. You end up bringing all the utensils, bowls, washing, heating, stuff ...

It would be GREAT if we could just have something we could just eat. Preferrably a bar, of course. Yeah, actually maybe I should have started trying to do that instead..... The thing is, I don't have the right equipment for dehydrating food. But a sort of all-in-one stew or soup would be pretty good too. Then I would concentrate that, or hopefully make it without too much water to begin with.

But that's not the question here, it's how to make a nutrionally complete substance taste okayish. It think I can figure out the packaging on my own.

Also, freeze dried foods are very expensive. I have looked for dried vegetables, meat, and so forth, but couldn't find anything serious, if anyone knows where to get them, that'd be great. :) I can find dried tomatos with oregano or something, but not the sort of variety that's nutritionaly suitable.

Really, though, I don't see any basic reason to not be able to produce something nutritionally complete that doesn't taste bad.
So isn't just a matter of finding a way? I've been trying here and not having much success, so I was hoping folks on this board might be able to help? I've volunteered to produce this stuff, I can't just give up.

I KNOW it doesn't taste good right now. THAT's what I'm posting to ask for some help with.
It doesn't have to be good, just okay. Like pemmican. It'll start tasting good once you get moving.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:52 PM   #17
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Like I had mentioned, there are ALOT of 1 pot meals that are not only easy to prepare, but good to eat. They are full of the proper nutrients to drive a trail ready metabolism, and can be cooked over a single burner i about 6 min. max. Quick and easy, and in alot of cases, quite tastey too. Google camp/camping food, there is no shortage of labor free meals to be enjoyed.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:36 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Actually if the meat is needed/wanted then you need to investigage making pemmican. It is basically trail mix or granola that has beef jerky chopped up with it.
Instead of trying to incorporate orange juice which is really just calories with no real nutrition add dried fruit--better fiber content, more nutritional.
If you are only going to be gone for a couple of days you can add some chunks of parmesan cheese into this mess--oops, mix. It will keep and give you calcium and protein. And just for good measure, you can throw in some dried veggies.
I will say, I have done a LOT of camping and some backpacking and I don't quite understand what this is accomplishing.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Well please read my early post.... I know that dried NOT freeze dried but dried soup base is about 69cents for a small sack of them it has lentils peas barley etc. You could then take Turkey Jerky and add it to that.. and take a stock cube ((oxo or knorr or whatever)) and add it you then have soup.

The thing about bein balanced with nutrition just WONT happen. You lost the nutrients with the preperation. You must realize some people that are answering you here are qualified chefs and cooks and we are trying to tell you that what your doing is not feasible with your dream

Like I said before you want a bar that has nutrition make some flapjacks

* Oats-- like oatmeal
* Raisins
*nuts
*Flaked Coconut
*Dried Fruits
*flour
*Brown Sugar
*either Corn Syrup or Honey or golden syrup
* Eggs

Combine and bake you will get a FULLY balanced bar with protiens etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Try making pemmican, the traditional Native American camping/hiking everything-in-one food. A combination of dried meat and dried fruit and a few other things...

http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/pemmican.html

For more modern camping recipes, try the traditional Scouting recipes:

http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/

How long is this camping trip? Will you have to carry your own water? Will fire-making be permitted? Will you set up a base camp, or are you doing hard-core backpacking? These are all questions that will influence your cooking. And if you are gone for more than one overnight, the "everything-in-one" meal substance is going to be a whole lot less satisfactory than having actual meals, as folks are saying here.

Good luck!