"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Tired?

Is anyone tired of eating oatmeal? I HAVE to fix this for the family almost regularly and I am the ONE who is getting tired of eating it. I know it is good and all that but just looking at it affects me. I would like to fix bacon and eggs once in while but just fixing it for myself seems like more work! Think I am lazy? Guess so, but oatmeal every morning and I have tried adding different things like fruit, honey, nuts, etc. but can't get past the oatmeal. My arteries are probably clogged. My one brother believes in balance but this is out of balance or do you think differently? Could any of you fix the oatmeal everyday? I do fix the regular steel cut oats. No matter what I add to this, I am just tired of knowing this is what I have to fix. Maybe this is in wrong area and should be another place. I apologize for complaining. Being Thanksgiving is so near and I seem so ungrateful. Hope I don't discourage any of you from eating healthy. Last thing I want to do. We never go out for breakfast. Always oatmeal.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #62
Executive Chef

In The Kitchen, I don't eat oatmeal more than occasionally as I find I am hungry later on but before lunch. I need some level of protein at breakfast to get me thru the day, so fancying eggs and bacon may just be your body craving some protein of a morning. When I fancy an egg, I cook it in my sandwich maker as it has a flat surface with a slice of buttered bread cooking at the same time. It is only as difficult as buttering the bread, cracking an egg and wiping it all out with kitchen paper afterwards. I don't cook any other things in the s/which maker (other than sandwiches of course), so it is only butter that is coming into contact and constantly seasoning the base. It is very quick and easy to do it this way. While I am not a big fan of bacon, if you want to add a quick bit of bacon to your meal, place the rasher between two sheets of kitchen paper and zap on high for a minute or so (depending on your microwave and bacon). Check once it has been crackling for a bit to see if it is cooked enough for you. From start to finish incl clean up is five minutes or less.

Wanting a change in your diet is normal, esp if you aren't one who naturally craves a routine. I like variety so seldom have the same meal for breakfast two days in a row. Everyone needs to eat healthy, but unless you have some serious health issue, taking a break is permitted!
How about oatmeal pancakes with bacon instead?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #63
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumki8 View Post
Hi, one of my friends told me that when cholesterol is more than 100 it is too high. I know there are different types of cholesterol. My HDL was at 195. I don't know what this means. I would like to watch my cholesterol but I don't know how to calculate what is good and what is not. Can someone tell me more details about cholesterol and what range mine should be in?

Hi rumki8. Welcome to DC.

You really should discuss your cholesterol levels with your doctor. He has the added information about you and other factors that are necessary for an accurate and complete answer that't correct for you.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #64
Executive Chef

What about ground flax seed it does wonders for cholesteral.I make a muesli from quick cooking raw oat meal,chopped dried fruit like apricot,figs and cherry flavored craisins mix in some brown sugar and a whople bunch of cinnamon.I eat it raw with vanilla soy milk.Oh and I put 2 TBL ground in the bowl with cereal.Its really good.Or you can top it with yogurt and fresh fruit
Another benefit. Your colon will thank you in the morning.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Try your oatmeal with a tablespoon of Omega 3 ground flaxseed. Makes it healthier.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Thankful

Am I thankful I asked! You people always know how to resolve my problems. Thank you. Sandwich maker? What kind of you have? Want to make sure I get a good one like you have. do you know I never even heard of one of these? Am I out of it or what? I am going to get a rice cooker and sandwich maker before Christmas otherwise i won't get it. Will have to buy for others. And taxes too.

Anything beside oatmeal but adding this Omega 3 ground flaxseed might make change plus what jpmc suggested. You people make me so happy. Appreciate your time and thoughts.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #67
Executive Chef

You can also sprinkle some flax seed on your eggs or salad just about anything.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Sandwich Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Sandwich maker? What kind of you have? Want to make sure I get a good one like you have. do you know I never even heard of one of these?
Mine is an older type of this:
Sandwich Maker
Old 12-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #69
Assistant Cook

Instant oatmeal is not the best. Rolled oats, cut oats and Irish oats are by far better - whole grains
Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #70
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Instant oatmeal is also whole grain. The problem, healthwise, with instant oatmeal is all the other crap (i.e. sugar, artifical flavors and colors) they stick into that envelope!