"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Peanut Butter - Misc - NOT related to FDA recall (split)

You should buy natural peanut butter to get all the health benefits of peanut butter without all the additional junk the major manufactureres put into it to make it cheaper, such as sugar, or high fructose corn syrup, and hydrogenated vegetable oil. Laura Scudder makes an excellent natural peanut butter, or if you have a Safeway or equivalent (Von's Dominick's, Randall's Thom Thumb, Genuardi's, Pavillion's, Carr's) nearby, their Safeway brand natural peanut butter is excellent. Unless the ingredients are limited to peanuts and salt, it's not natural. It may taste a bit different to you at first because there's no sugar added, but after a couple of jars, if you taste JifF or Skippy or Peter Pan, you will wonder how you ever ate that junk.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Executive Chef

The only problem with that one is that the oil always tends to separate from the product, which most often neccesitates constant stirring when the stuff is about to be used.

My mom used to get that for us as kids, and we often hated using using it because of that! Too much aggravation, not to mention it being a nuisense.

Also, the pulverised peanut mixture would settle to the bottom of the jar and get hard.

If you have a blender or food processor, you can make your own as needed. That way, the oil will NEVER have the chance to separate.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Executive Chef

In my long history of using natural peanut butters, I have found it is not necessary to try to incorporate the oil with the peanut butter. Just the action of using the peanut butter, sticking in the spoon or knife to draw out the peanut butter, is enough to mix the oil in with the rest. The first few uses, just let any extra oil in the spoon drain back in the jar. Then after the jar is half full, you can then mix if you want. I find I do not need to mix at all.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
If you incorporate the oil into the peanut butter when you first open the jar, then keep it refrigerated, just like the directions on the jar tell you to do, the peanut butter and oil will not separate again.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the warning.

uh oh, i got thom thtuck in the rooth o' my mouth.

lol, if you want to drive your dog crazy (and make a pretty cool videotape), smear some peanut butter in the roof of your dog's mouth, and start recording. then dub the voice over and watch your dog talk!

that's how they did it with "lancelot link: private chimp".

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Executive Chef

There is one brand that my mom used to get. I think it was Teddy. That one was the all natural kind that separated.

Then there WAS another brand of all natural that DIDN'T separate, but I forgot the brand.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The natural peanut butter I use, does not need stirred, nor does the label give any sort of instructions that you need or may try to incorporate the oil into the peanut butter. And I would think there are more that one pb on the market that does not need the oil stirred in once the jar is opened. What I did not like about pb that needed stirred was the sloshing out of the oil in a full jar of pb, it was quite messy. I use Arrowhead Mills 100% Valencia Peanut Butter. There is maybe 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch of oil on top of a full container of pb. Not much oil at all. The only ingredient in this brand of pb is; Roasted Unblanched Valencia Peanuts. It is very good tasting pb.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

There was so much oil in the natural pb that my mom used to get, that oil would spill over, greasing up the label and making the jar hard to keep still!

We, at times, would also empty the contents of the jar into a large bowl and blend the oil back in that way, but who would want to keep on going through that when they wanted to have a pb & j sandwich?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
There was so much oil in the natural pb that my mom used to get, that oil would spill over, greasing up the label and making the jar hard to keep still!

We, at times, would also empty the contents of the jar into a large bowl and blend the oil back in that way, but who would want to keep on going through that when they wanted to have a pb & j sandwich?

You think you had it rough??? My mother used to keep the peanut butter in the refrigerator!!!! Talk about a hard job for a sandwich. If you even suspected you might be in the mood for a peanut butter sandwich, you had to pull the baby out of the fridge at 7am so that by noon you'd be able to spread it without ripping the bread to shreads.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm not sure if my mom did that, but yes, pb WILL congeal and become quite hard if it is refrigerated.

And besides, all this talk about pb is making me hungry, so I might have one. A pb & j that is. I had two of them yesterday afternoon, because I had the hungry horrors really bad!

And my glucose level was getting dangerously low. I felt sick and weak and my stomach was growling..