"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Canola, corn, olive oils are what I use. Canola is my go-to. I haven't noticed any fishiness. Then there's always butter! Peanut oil is hard to find around here, I have no idea why.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Canola, corn, olive oils are what I use. Canola is my go-to. I haven't noticed any fishiness. Then there's always butter! Peanut oil is hard to find around here, I have no idea why.
I buy Asian peanut oil and use it for stir-frys. Asian peanut oil has a noticeable smell of peanuts when you open the bottle. Domestic peanut oils are more highly refined and have no smell or taste of peanuts.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've heard about the fishy smell from canola, but have never experienced it, and I am sensitive to that smell, because I really dislike fish. I use a store brand of canola.

I am waiting for the day that I get that bottle of canola, that will gross me out. We use canola for frying at work and that doesn't smell either (it's treated for stability, maybe that's why).

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I buy Asian peanut oil and use it for stir-frys. Asian peanut oil has a noticeable smell of peanuts when you open the bottle. Domestic peanut oils are more highly refined and have no smell or taste of peanuts.
That's an interesting observation. I suspect there are times when you'd want peanut smell/taste and other times you would not. Is it possible that some peanut oils are toasted to a greater degree, like toasted sesame oil?

It's interesting that Asians often call peanuts ground nuts, because in fact they are not true nuts but rather they are legumes. I suspect this makes peanuts and peanut oil rather unusual of all the varieties of oils.

Rapeseed is interesting because it is in the Brassica family, along with cabbages and mustards, and many of my other favorite vegetables (and maybe yours too).

Rapeseed needs significant processing (and some selective breeding/genetics) to be palatable. According to Wikipedia the rename of rapeseed to canola comes from an abbreviation: Canadian Oilseed, Low-Acid: Canola, originally a trademark but now a generic term.

Canola used to be my "go to" oil when I wasn't using EVOO or cooking at high temperature (in which case I've preferred peanut oil). I've been somewhat put off by recent discussions that Canola may be unhealthy, but I haven't found any scientific basis to support this.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
...I've been somewhat put off by recent discussions that Canola may be unhealthy, but I haven't found any scientific basis to support this.
I haven't found any either. The sites I've visited struck me as being funded by the corn oil lobby or some similar agribusiness.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I haven't found any either. The sites I've visited struck me as being funded by the corn oil lobby or some similar agribusiness.
Wow! The same people who popularized High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) for which I've seen a lot of science based articles that suggest that HFCS is a very bad thing for humans to consume.

It would be despicable if the corn special interests were steering us away from canola and toward corn products, just to improve their profit line, and no matter what health cost to us.

Only a very cynical person would believe that. Like me for example.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Head Chef

I haven't gone into it deeply, but my impression is that newer culinary cultivars have made it possible to offer cold-pressed rapeseed oil. And it seems to be having its fashionable day, in spite of odd flavors, being used in other than heating ways, such as mayo. And I gather that it's like a few other things where different people describe the odor differently. (Cilantro, for example.)
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I think I'll continue to back off of Canola, and rely instead upon EVOO, peanut oil, and a few I want to experiment with, particularly Avocado oil. I'm not sure what I should pick for a general purpose deep frying (cheap) oil, to be used once or twice and disposed of. In the last few years Canola has been my cheap/disposable oil.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I think I'll continue to back off of Canola, and rely instead upon EVOO, peanut oil, and a few I want to experiment with, particularly Avocado oil. I'm not sure what I should pick for a general purpose deep frying (cheap) oil, to be used once or twice and disposed of. In the last few years Canola has been my cheap/disposable oil.
I use corn oil for deep frying.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i love to ask kids "if peanut oil comes from crushing peanuts, and olive oil comes from pressing olives, where does baby oil come from"?

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil