"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 04-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #11
Master Chef
Yes, advoca, that's the drug. I was just trying to work from memory. My husband and our friends tried all the dietary stuff, and the only thing that truly helped was water, and even that wasn't enough to keep the gout at bay. As I said, he's trying to stave off diabetes as well, so a lot of the dietary options don't work for him, either. You should drink that much water anyway, some people just don't. Giving up all the rest of the stuff just seemed to make him miserable, not help the arthritis and gout one single bit. And yes, walking did make it worse and he sure as heck wasn't going to give up exercise (the only thing that keeps his diabetes out of the drug control area). So he now takes the pill daily and eats a well-rounded diet, geared more to staying off insulin than for the gout. Gave up, for the most part, wine and beer (for carbs, not gout) but still drinks scotch and real martinis (not the kind with sweet liquers). He never was a big beef eater (that's me!). I've always been a healthy cook, now he just measures for the diabetes. You can only change your diet so much. All of our friends agree that you simply take the pills on this one. AND drink the water.

In the past year, since starting the drug, he has only had one recurrence, and that was when he got lazy about taking his pills over a vacation week.

So drink that water and see your doctor. Gout is way too painful to mess around with.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote