"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Thank you so much for the kind words, ITK. I had never been sick a day in my life, and then caught the flu in late January. It turned into bacterial and viral pneumonia and then septic shock set in (which is what eventually killed the pope last month). I had liver, kidney, thyroid and heart failure and very nearly died from it - all in a matter of hours after getting to the hospital. I found out later that even in the healthiest people, septic shock kills 60-70%. I spent a week in the ICU. It was a very scary week. As a result, I had some damage to the heart, in the form of atrial fibrulation and those 3 leaky valves. With the kidney failure, I retained a lot of fluid in my torso and legs, and then when the heart quit responding to the medicines, I also had that fluid retention (almost 3 gallons of fluid), and ended up in the hospital a second time for another week. That was my first exposure to fluid retention. It's not pleasant, that's for sure. I finally get to go back to work on Monday, after 3 months of recuperation. What an adventure.

BC

Old 05-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Holy moley, BlueCat!!! I had no idea what you have been through lately. Warm wishes for a complete recovery.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Blue Cat

As I posted before you are in my prayers and know you will regain strength and continue to have better and happier days. This is sure scary and how fast something like this can happen. One never knows from one day to the next and i realize it more and more. Seems like it happens to the best people and I wish them always days of healing and strength. Stay well my friend and know we are all thinking and supporting you to continue to walk in life with faith and continued hope. Blessings to you.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Thanks ITK and mudbug for the good wishes. I'm certainly on the mend now and so grateful to be feeling good again.

BC
Old 05-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #15
Sous Chef

What an ordeal for you. I'm glad you are well enough to go back to work.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:30 AM   #16
Master Chef

BC, glad you are better, I'm sure you must have been terrified. ITC, I'm with you in wondering about "lowering the numbers" (both for blood pressure and cholesterol levels). I sometimes think that the medical heirarchy lowers the numbers periodically just to get us all on medication, which is big business. I sometimes wonder if there's a conspiracy to get us all to replace everything we enjoy in life with pills. Just kidding ....
Old 05-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

hey bc, sorry to hear about that. glad you're doing much better. my dad just went thru the same thing, and we lost my mil last summer to septic shock which started with pneumonia.

btw, itk, 120/80 is a little high for blood pressure. well, the diastolic (the 2nd number) is too high at 80. 120/70 is more like it. but if you're 120/80 and have no other issues like high cholesterol or a high heart rate (beats per minute), then 120/80 is ok.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:29 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Thanks all. Yes it was a frightening experience, especially when the Drs. were discussing the plans of action in the ICU right in front of me, which included a lot of talk about my possible demise. I was really sick, and on lots of breathing machines so I couldn't communicate with them, but I could hear them. One of my vocal chords is now paralyzed, ever since mid March, and I may need surgery to repair it, but they won't consider that until later this summer. They're hoping it will come back to normal on its own. I wish it would hurry up - it gets a little old sounding like Mr. Bill for this length of time.

Ah well, a funny voice is the least of the problems I started out with, I guess.

BC
Old 05-06-2005, 07:35 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
wow bc i'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. it must have been a nightmare for you and your family. i'm praying that you have a remarkable recovery. best wishes to you and yours.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Well, it certainly was a nightmare. I returned to work today, after more than three months off. Had lots of hugs and good wishes waiting for me, but talking to people who haven't seen me since early February also brought back those frightening memories of just how ill I was those first few weeks. It was such a fast spreading bacterial pneumonia that I can hardly believe it myself. I was at work on Groundhog's Day, and they were calling in the priest for the last rites on the 4th of February - 2 days later. I won't deny that I didn't feel well on the 2nd when I was at work, but certainly nowhere near death (at least I didn't think so). Makes you really look at life in a new way.

BC