"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
View Poll Results: Please select the statement that applies most closely.
I do not drink sodas and am not overweight (or less than 5 pounds over) 13 21.31%
I do not drink sodas and am between 5-20 pounds overweight. 10 16.39%
I do not drink sodas and am over 20 pounds overweight. 2 3.28%
I drink 1 or more cans daily and am not overweight (or less than 5 pounds over) 10 16.39%
I drink 1 or more cans daily and am between 5-20 pounds overweight. 3 4.92%
I drink 1 or more cans daily and am over 20 pounds overweight. 10 16.39%
I drink 1 or fewer cans each week and am not overweight (or less than 5 pounds over) 7 11.48%
I drink 1 or fewer cans each week and am 5-20 pounds overweight. 3 4.92%
I drink 1 or fewer cans each week and am over 20 pounds overweight. 3 4.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #31
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Goodweed is right about regular soda being a contributing cause of type 2 diabetes, but he is wrong about sugar being the culprit. Soda pop contains no sugar, not even the Hansen's "all natural" soda. Soda manufacturers use high fructose corn syrup to sweeten their beverages, and have been doing so for a number of years now. Why? because it is significantly cheaper than refined sugar, and is 10 times as sweet. They are sacrificing your health to save money. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! High fructose corn syrup is a HORRIBLE compound,and the reason that it causes problems is because your body does not recognize it as sugar, and therefore does not release insulin to process it. It simply slaps it onto your body as more fat, in the most embarrassing place it can find to put it.

Oh, and anyone who drinks several regularly sweetened sodas a day and thinks they are healthy is just fooling themselves. It will catch up to you, just like it did with Goodweed, his best friend, and his brother-in-law. Drink your sodas, then ask your doctor for a blood glucose level test.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Goodweed is right about regular soda being a contributing cause of type 2 diabetes, but he is wrong about sugar being the culprit. Soda pop contains no sugar, not even the Hansen's "all natural" soda. Soda manufacturers use high fructose corn syrup to sweeten their beverages, and have been doing so for a number of years now. Why? because it is significantly cheaper than refined sugar, and is 10 times as sweet. They are sacrificing your health to save money. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! High fructose corn syrup is a HORRIBLE compound,and the reason that it causes problems is because your body does not recognize it as sugar, and therefore does not release insulin to process it. It simply slaps it onto your body as more fat, in the most embarrassing place it can find to put it.

Oh, and anyone who drinks several regularly sweetened sodas a day and thinks they are healthy is just fooling themselves. It will catch up to you, just like it did with Goodweed, his best friend, and his brother-in-law. Drink your sodas, then ask your doctor for a blood glucose level test.
You are partially correct. High-fruictose corn syrup (hfcs) is used extensively in the food industry, and as was noted by our dear freind, Caine, is a tremendous stress to the body. But cane sugar is still used by some brands. And it isn't much better than hfcs. When cane sugar is used, here is the recipe for pop (I worked at a soda-pop bottling company after I graduated high school, and before I entered the Navy), 200 gallons of water, 200 lbs. sugar, 1 gallon of flavor concentrate. Mix well until the sugar is completely dissolved. Place between 10 and 15 millilitres of the resulting syrup, depending on the bottle size, into a glass bottle, fill with carbonated water, cap, and shake to mix the syrup evenly through the water. Sell to anyone foolish enough tp purchase your product.

Of course I had no idea what this stuff could do to a body until much later in life. In addition to diabetes, soda-pop is notorious for its ability to feed the critters that live in your mouth and destroy teeth. A dentist told me that it's not known why, but Mountain Due in particular has been shown to be expecially hard on teeth. And that is a verifiable fact, if you are willing to look at the studies and research.

Myself, I used to love A&W, and Frosty's root beer. Now, I like the Wal-Mart brand - Clearly American carbonated drinks. And I know that they probably aren't all that good for me either. Pretty much, I avoid soda-pop altogether. But I do drink one every once in a while.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #33
Senior Cook

I'm not considered overweight but I'm still concerned about my weight, so I don't drink soda unless I'm at someone's house and they offer me some.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #34
Cook

I limit myself to one soda a day and I only drink diet even though it's not much better than regular soda. But there are some days where I don't drink one at all. I'm not overweight but that's because I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I noticed when I use to drink soda alot more when I was younger I tend to carry more water weight.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #35
Master Chef

I tend to get a "taste" for pop, and buy a 12-pack (notice 6-packs are getting harder and harder to find?). It is always diet, and when it is gone it may be months or even years before I buy more. I really like water, and used to love sun tea. Unfortunately, I have unsteady hands as it is, and it is exacerbated by caffein, so I don't even have that very often.

Everyone who knows me is astonished that I'm overweight on good food and drink. I only hit fast food emporiums when I'm travelling with the dogs and can't go to a decent restaurant. Even then I usually chose a salad (and yes, I know how caloric and fatty they can be, but they taste better to me than much of the other food).

If I'm repeating something someone else said, I heard when I was on the road that Coca-cola a number of years ago came out with that new Coke on purpose, knowing no one would like it. They used it to go from their cane sugar coke to corn syrup (cheaper) coke. They figured that everyone would hate the coke they put out in between and no one would notice that they went from cane to corn.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I perfer a glass of wine with dinner, rather than soda, ice tea, coffee or even milk. A 6 oz glass of wine each day can actually be good for you, but check with your doctor on that first.
Barb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Since my diet I have cut out soft drinks. I only have them for special occaisions. I wasn't a huge drinker of them anyways, just 1 or 2 a day.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I drink the equivalent of 1-2 can of diet pop a day. I can't stand regular pop. It's too syrupy.

My guess is the fatty food and lack of exercise has more to do with my wieght than my soda consumption. I'm about 20 lbs heavier than I'd like to be