"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 1,911
US News Ranking of Diets

Interesting info on various diets:

Keto diet ranks last on 2018 'best diets' list - CNN

__________________

tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,346
Regarding the keto diet, I'll have to disagree with the so-called "experts" and call BS on this article. Just reading the first couple of paragraphs, it's clear they have no idea what they are talking about and probably haven't even tried it.

I've been on the keto diet for about three and a half years, and lost almost 100 lbs. That was a side benefit, however, because my goal had little to do with weight loss. It was simply to lower my blood sugar, which it did in a big way. Since starting on it in 2014, my fasting blood glucose level has dropped from over 300 when I started to now being consistently around 90 or less (not even in the pre-diabetic range), and has allowed me to easily control my diabetes with diet alone.

Before going on the keto diet, I was on the diet recommended by the American Diabetes Association. Ironically, I found that one to be the worst, and it did nothing whatsoever to improve my glucose levels.

The fact that the article claims it's only good for "a quick fix" is also inaccurate. A ketogenic diet is not a quick fix at all. I can tell you from my own experience that it takes a good three months or longer for your body to become completely adapted to that way of eating. If you're only looking for a quick fix, you're bound to fail. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone just looking to drop a few pounds.

As for claims of being "unhealthy", I eat mostly meat, eggs, and vegetables. I'm not sure what could possibly be unhealthy about that. My cholesterol is at a normal level, and the crippling acid reflux I used to suffer from hasn't bothered me in years.

I'll also add that the diet was actually recommended to me by a doctor, who helped me monitor it for the first year and couldn't have been happier with the results. Contrary to what the article says, it's actually pretty easy to maintain once you're used to it.

The bottom line is I feel good when I'm on it. I feel crappy when I stray.
__________________

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,190
I read this recently. The author is David L. Katz, MD, MPH, FACPM, FACP, FACLM, the founding director (1998) of Yale University’s Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center, and current President of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b06cd2bd03de4f

For the record:
"Author disclosure statement: A recent, provocative article in JAMA called on all scholars addressing diet to disclose their own position, practice, and interests. Accordingly, I note that I am a life-long advocate of minimally processed, plant-predominant diets on the basis of relevant evidence I have reviewed directly. I practice such a diet personally. I do not have a financial interest in any specific kind of diet, but I do inevitably have a financial interest in advancing what I consider to be the truth about diet and health, since all of my professional activities are devoted to that mission."

Director, Yale University Prevention Research Center; Griffin Hospital

Immediate Past-President, American College of Lifestyle Medicine

Senior Medical Advisor, Verywell.com

Founder, The True Health Initiative
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I read this recently. The author is David L. Katz, MD, MPH, FACPM, FACP, FACLM, the founding director (1998) of Yale University’s Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center, and current President of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b06cd2bd03de4f

For the record:
"Author disclosure statement: A recent, provocative article in JAMA called on all scholars addressing diet to disclose their own position, practice, and interests. Accordingly, I note that I am a life-long advocate of minimally processed, plant-predominant diets on the basis of relevant evidence I have reviewed directly. I practice such a diet personally. I do not have a financial interest in any specific kind of diet, but I do inevitably have a financial interest in advancing what I consider to be the truth about diet and health, since all of my professional activities are devoted to that mission."

Director, Yale University Prevention Research Center; Griffin Hospital

Immediate Past-President, American College of Lifestyle Medicine

Senior Medical Advisor, Verywell.com

Founder, The True Health Initiative
Interesting article. The US News article has a link to the definition of the Mediterranean Diet https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/mediterranean-diet , which is generally recognized as one of the healthiest diets. Dr. Katz's philosophy looks like he follows the Mediterranean Diet. In the US News definition, regular exercise is an important component of a healthy lifestyle. You can probably guess by my name what my favorite form of exercise is.

It's interesting that while whole grains are recommended, Italians are noted for their love of pasta (made with refined flour).
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,346
The interesting thing about David Katz is that a few years ago he was called out by Huffington Post for using pseudonyms to give his own books glowing reviews.

https://www.imediaethics.org/nutriti...-post-deletes/

And it doesn't appear that was the first time this happened. An early reviewer of Katz's book "The Way to Eat" on Amazon also pointed out that "I read the glowing reviews listed for Dr. Katz's book, but noticed that all the reviewers seem to come from just two places--Salisbury, MD and the New Haven,CT area. Katz, of course, teaches at Yale which is located in New Haven. Maybe he is from Salisbury or has a lot of friends there. In any case, it is very suspicious that in a huge country such as the USA the reviews for a book come from only two locations."

He appears to be his own best advocate.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The interesting thing about David Katz is that a few years ago he was called out by Huffington Post for using pseudonyms to give his own books glowing reviews.

https://www.imediaethics.org/nutriti...-post-deletes/

And it doesn't appear that was the first time this happened. An early reviewer of Katz's book "The Way to Eat" on Amazon also pointed out that "I read the glowing reviews listed for Dr. Katz's book, but noticed that all the reviewers seem to come from just two places--Salisbury, MD and the New Haven,CT area. Katz, of course, teaches at Yale which is located in New Haven. Maybe he is from Salisbury or has a lot of friends there. In any case, it is very suspicious that in a huge country such as the USA the reviews for a book come from only two locations."

He appears to be his own best advocate.
I hadn't heard about that. It doesn't negate his education, post-doc training, medical practice and research activities, though.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 19,113
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Interesting article. The US News article has a link to the definition of the Mediterranean Diet https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/mediterranean-diet , which is generally recognized as one of the healthiest diets. Dr. Katz's philosophy looks like he follows the Mediterranean Diet. In the US News definition, regular exercise is an important component of a healthy lifestyle. You can probably guess by my name what my favorite form of exercise is.

It's interesting that while whole grains are recommended, Italians are noted for their love of pasta (made with refined flour).
I have been eating whole grain pasta imported from Italy since the 1980s. I don't know which kind of pasta is most eaten in Italy, but at least some whole grain pasta is.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 19,113
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have so many issues with that Huffington Post piece by Dr. Katz that it would take me hours to point out everything with which I take issue.

The ketogenic diet is not a diet for losing wait quickly. I agree that it shouldn't be used that way. It isn't intended to be used that way. But, comparing it to starvation diets is just nonsense.

I was on the Atkins diet for a number of years and heard all the same arguments against it. Both my DH and I had improved our cholesterol levels, even though they had been okay before. We both felt great and had increased energy. The hardest part of maintaining the diet was trying to eat anywhere but at home.

Keto and Atkins are not "new fangled ideas". The Sámi have been eating that way for millennia and had far better longevity than Inuit. They had better health than their Nordic neighbours until they switched to eating more like them. Here's a blog post about that. It's long, but most of the stuff relevant to this discussion is in the first half or so of the piece. The Sami paradox or how to dismiss a traditional low carb, high protein diet | LCHF.com
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have so many issues with that Huffington Post piece by Dr. Katz that it would take me hours to point out everything with which I take issue.

The ketogenic diet is not a diet for losing wait quickly. I agree that it shouldn't be used that way. It isn't intended to be used that way. But, comparing it to starvation diets is just nonsense.
He's not comparing it to a starvation diet. He's saying it actually starves the body, which runs naturally on glucose from carbohydrates. Also, without carbo*hydrates*, many people get very dehydrated on this diet.

Maybe people aren't supposed to use it for weight loss, but that's what they do. Dr. Katz has a clinical practice at Yale. He sees patients all the time who believe that and it got a lot of attention in the media last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was on the Atkins diet for a number of years and heard all the same arguments against it. Both my DH and I had improved our cholesterol levels, even though they had been okay before. We both felt great and had increased energy. The hardest part of maintaining the diet was trying to eat anywhere but at home.

Keto and Atkins are not "new fangled ideas". The Sámi have been eating that way for millennia and had far better longevity than Inuit. They had better health than their Nordic neighbours until they switched to eating more like them. Here's a blog post about that. It's long, but most of the stuff relevant to this discussion is in the first half or so of the piece. The Sami paradox or how to dismiss a traditional low carb, high protein diet | LCHF.com
He acknowledges that it lowers blood sugar, cholesterol, etc., and people generally feel better because they're losing weight. That's what you expect to see when people restrict calories or eliminate a category of food from their diet. But people often don't get enough vitamins and minerals from this diet.

He wasn't saying that it's a totally new idea. But it's becoming more popular because, as with so many other diets, the hype gets ahead of the complexity.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 19,113
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
GG, he was comparing it to calorie reduced diets and talking about starvation. That was what I meant.

He may not have said that keto was brand new, but he implied that it was new enough that we have no idea of long term effects. He wrote, "So, OK, ketogenic diets might help people live long and prosper, but there are, to date, no such people. Admittedly, the Inuit, for want of choice, have a very low-carbohydrate diet which may at times be ketogenic, but they do not experience enviable health or longevity."

I won't say that the Sámi diet was out and out ketogenic, but as with the Inuit, it was very low carb and may have been ketogenic at times.

The whole idea that there is an ideal diet for everyone really annoys me. There are some scientists working on diets based on your DNA. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.