What is LSA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is this a published recipe? or a hand copied or family recipe. my guess is that it is "short hand" for something like salt substistute or citrus flavoring. Maybe a baking powder agent. ???

Well, it is a cake for vegans so it is a butter or milk substitue, probably soy...but as to what, I dunno. Check out a health food site or do a google search. see what turns up.

LSA is a vegan dietary supplement/cereal which consists of ground Linseeds, Sunflower seeds and Almonds.

You can find it in natural food stores.

LSA Mix
  • 3 parts Linseed (flaxseed)
  • 2 parts sunflower seeds
  • 1 part almonds
Combine and grind up in a coffee grinder into a fine powder. Keep in a tightly sealed container in the fridge to maintain freshness. It can also be purchased already ground from most health food stores, in 1 pound or 2 pound bags, or as a bulk food item.

OR

It's a naturally occurring psychedelic drug equivalent to the better known, but chemically produced, drug called LSD.

Last edited:
Caine said:
LSA Mix
  • 3 parts Linseed (flaxseed)
  • 2 parts sunflower seeds
  • 1 part almonds

Interesting mix. Every recipe for LSA mix that I've seen or used always call for equal parts Linseed, sunflower and almonds.

Since flaxseed is such a powerful laxative I would be reluctant to make it 50% of the mix.

Aurora said:
Interesting mix. Every recipe for LSA mix that I've seen or used always call for equal parts Linseed, sunflower and almonds.

Since flaxseed is such a powerful laxative I would be reluctant to make it 50% of the mix.

Linseed Sunflower Almond From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. LSA, a Linseed (Flaxseed), Sunflower and Almond mix, is used to provide essential fatty acids, soluble fibre and other nutrients for a Liver Cleansing Diet made famous by Dr Sandra Cabot. LSA is prepared by grinding up 3 parts Linseed, 2 parts Sunflower seed and one part Almond.
I don't make this stuff up, ya know?

A google search turned up thousands of acronym possibilities..Louisiana Seafood Authority, Lincoln Settlement Association, etc...but a vegan health food store confirms what others have noted...a seed and nut floour additive. happy baking.

I am not familiar with LSA but I have a lot of experience with eating, grinding and cooking with flax seed. From my experience it is NOT a powerful laxative in my system. I would choke down a quarter cup of the stuff every morning with no noticeable effects in the regularity department. I would not hestitate to use the 321 ratio. I am interested in this mixture, did you determine the purpose of it in the cake?

Flaxseed is not a laxative. It is, however, a soluble fibre that will aid and support digestive system and colon health. It is also an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids. I don't use LSA (or LSD either) myself, but I do consume 3000 mg of psyllium a day, in capsule form, to help reduce my cholesterol, and 2000 mg of fish oil and 2000 mg of flaxseed oil, also in capsule form, a day to provide Omega-3 fatty acids, because as much as I enjoy a good red snapper or tilapia fillet, I really do not WANT to eat fish 4 or more times a week.

Caine said:
Flaxseed is not a laxative. It is, however, a soluble fibre that will aid and support digestive system and colon health. It is also an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids. I don't use LSA (or LSD either) myself, but I do consume 3000 mg of psyllium a day, in capsule form, to help reduce my cholesterol, and 2000 mg of fish oil and 2000 mg of flaxseed oil, also in capsule form, a day to provide Omega-3 fatty acids, because as much as I enjoy a good red snapper or tilapia fillet, I really do not WANT to eat fish 4 or more times a week.

Actually, flaxseed is 40 percent fiber. 1/3 of which is soluable and 2/3 is insoluable. Any food product which has such high fiber content will have a laxative effect the same as oat or wheat bran or psyllium. According to Drugstore.com (http://www.drugstore.com/qxa1772_333181_sespider-what_is_flaxseed.htm) flaxseed powder can be used as a fiber laxative. It may not have the same effect on everyone but it has a laxative effect. Other references and studies report the same laxative quality, for example Tarpila S, Kivinen A. Ground flaxseed is an effective hypolipidemic bulk laxative [abstract]. Gastroenterology. 1997;112:A836.

It should also be noted that flaxseed consumption may interfere with the absorption of certain prescription medications and a doctor or pharmacist should be consulted when consuming flax containing foods to your diet.

Last edited:
I still do not know the purpose of the mix in the dake but today I will be able to make it and we will see. I could not make the cake over the weeekend because all of the organic bananas sold at the local supermarkit were extremely green and I had to wait for them to ripen.
I will let y'all know how it turns out. I might even try a recipe without the LSA just to see.

It'll make it taste nice. I used to use it when I used to make bread. Sandra Cabot is an Australian doctor, her liver cleansing diet was big about 10 years ago, which made LSA a household ingredient in Australia when I lived there.

I don't know if all the precious oils stay intact in the baking process, I suspect not, but the flavour will be there.

I look forward to seeing how it turned out.

Back
Top Bottom