"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #1981
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Thanks so much for the support everyone! Interesting facts about iron I did not know. I will get some Vitamin C & add that to my morning vitamins. I love oranges but I'm not much of a beet eater, they taste like dirt to me, I have tried several different types. I have heard that about cast iron pans, we have some, I'll have to start using them again.

Water aerobics class tonight, I had some nice compliments from some classmates. : )
Still working on trying to get that scale under the 200# mark. 15 pounds can't come off soon enough!

You are all just great! Thank you very much!!
Once you break through that plateau, those 15 pounds will start to fall off. Just think of how much you have lost already. Try shaking your diet up and try to eat different proteins in the morning.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #1982
Certified Cake Maniac

I did it! I really did it!

I had a good night sleep with no coughing and only one time of having to sit up due to my back pain. I got up at 7:30, had a banana and my morning pills, then got dressed, packed my gym bag, got to the van and drove away. I arrived at the YMCA just before 9 and was in the pool at 9am on the dot.

I made up my mind and I stayed positive and achieved my goal. I was careful not to make note of it here, on FB or even text TB. I wanted to make sure I could do it before setting myself up for failure.

I had no expectations on how far I would walk in the pool either. Each length is 15 meters and goes from 4 ft deep to 5 ft. I started with 10 and did them in around 5 minutes so I did another 10, this time a little slower. I ended up doing 30 total in 20 minutes which is just under a kilometer. I then spent 10 minutes in the hot tub. I also had some social time with some ladies who remembered my from the arthro-fit class that goes on at the same time. I am not ready to go back to that and actually like doing my own thing. I did some stretches in the water before and after the walk as well.

If I can keep this up, I know it will help everything. I am actually crying tears of joy right now because this is such a major accomplishment for me physically, emotionally and even spiritually. I think what really gave me the push I needed was at my follow-up appointment the doctor who removed my gall bladder said that water exercise is the best thing to tighten the abdominal muscles and keep the scare tissue from mucking up my insides again. So, it is good for every part of my body and is not a difficult thing to do...get into a pool and walk!

I have decided I am not going to focus at all on weight. I want to feel better in all senses of the word and I want to be more fit. My eating habits right now are not totally conducive to weight loss but I know as I turn fat into muscle and open up my lungs so I can breath better, the weight/eating thing will take care of itself.

Any feedback (positive or negative) on this is welcome and wanted.

I don't usually like this word, but I am proud of myself.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #1983
Chef Extraordinaire

Way to go, Laurie! I don't weigh myself, that is discouraging. I go by if I feel better (more energy, more positive) and how my clothes fit.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #1984
Master Chef

Yay LP! Glad you finally feel good enough to do the exercises.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #1985
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yay LP! Glad you finally feel good enough to do the exercises.
Ditto! We're proud of you, too!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #1986
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Very proud, LP!! Fantastic!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #1987
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, everyone! I have to admit I am a little sore and tired tonight, but I do not for a moment think I over did it. And I am keeping my eye on makeable goals. If everything is as good on Monday as it was this morning, then I plan to go again. Then I will look to the next time. I can't beat myself up for not keeping up with it when this is the first time in almost 2 years!

Old 03-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #1988
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow! Good for you Laurie! reading your post this morning makes me want to get motivated put on my suit & get to the pool! It sounds like you are a very strong swimmer. I need to work on my speed. I am really liking the snorkel in the pool. I put my face in the water & I'm cut off from everything for an 1/2 hr at a time, I love it! Thanks for the boost I needed this morning!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #1989
Certified Cake Maniac

SB, I used to be a strong swimmer, but with my back fracture and knee replacement I am not able to swim....yet. I just walk in the water. The pool I go to is 25 meters, with 15 of those going from 4 feet to 5 feet (up to my neck). I walk that far and count 10 as being 150 meters so 30 is 300 meters.

I just realized that I was totally out on my calculations - I did 300 meters, not 900 like I thought. Oops! I didn't do as well as I "bragged", but I am still very happy with my accomplishment! In fact, this makes much more sense.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #1990
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Wow! Good for you Laurie! reading your post this morning makes me want to get motivated put on my suit & get to the pool! It sounds like you are a very strong swimmer. I need to work on my speed. I am really liking the snorkel in the pool. I put my face in the water & I'm cut off from everything for an 1/2 hr at a time, I love it! Thanks for the boost I needed this morning!
You are doing fantastic, and I wanted to tell you that you were part of my motivation to go yesterday. Don't worry about speed or distance. Just do what you can do. The rest comes. I walk because I can't swim anymore. Maybe I will be able to maybe I won't, but I know the walking in the water helps me much more than walking on land. I saw someone with a snorkel yesterday and I thought of you - we adapt to what works for us. I am proud of you and hopefully we will help to keep each other going!