Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is why I don't own a scale and I turn my back when I get weighed at my doctor's office. I go by if my clothes fit/are too tight. I don't want to get fixated on how much I weigh. I have very large bones, I weigh a lot for a person who wears the size of clothes I wear.

I'm not obsessing over my weight, but I am getting antsy over how I feel. Not fun being light-headed and feeling drunk all the time. That is what is happening with the low blood pressure. I think it's important to remind people who are taking medications to watch themselves carefully and be aware of what could effect their health.

I had my 4th swimming lesson tonight. All is going well. Still working on the breathing correctly. I was doing better but tonight just seemed to have more anxiety. talked with instructor & she asked what was going on. I told her about mom living here, we did some unique stetches & deep breathing, I was amazed what a difference it made. Taking a break from lessons for a couple of weeks until we get things figured out here. I will continue to practice. Weight at a standstill now. Still exercising & trying to eat right but no change in the weight. To busy making sure everyone's needs are met lately.

But you know your numbers are getting better and better each day. And aside from the weight, your doctor was very concerned about them also. Just don't forget that Simonbaker needs some attention also. After everyone is settled for the night, head for the bathtub and fill it with hot bubbly water and soak away all your problems you faced that day. Have DH dry you off when you step out. And don't forget that bath dusting powder.

Take some of that dusting powder and sprinkle it on your sheets. A little bit of aromatherapy for you and DH. :angel:

I'm not obsessing over my weight, but I am getting antsy over how I feel. Not fun being light-headed and feeling drunk all the time. That is what is happening with the low blood pressure. I think it's important to remind people who are taking medications to watch themselves carefully and be aware of what could effect their health.

when I was 290 pounds I had high blood pressure. After losing my first 50 pounds I started feeling light headed, if I would stand up too fast, I'd feel like I was going to pass out. I started to wean myself off the pills over the course of a couple of weeks. About a month later I went to the doctor and my blood pressure was "on the high side of normal" as she said. I told her that I hadn't taken the pills in about a month, but she told me that I had to start taking them again, I didn't. Now after over 85 pounds lost, my blood pressure is normal. I still take readings every so often to make sure that I'm still on track.

I'm down another 3 pounds on weigh-in yesterday. I need to up my calories, I'm losing too fast for my comfort. I want to stick to 2 pounds a week, at this rate I am having problems with my blood pressure going too low and my body isn't adapting to the lower weight like it should.
Hope all goes well for you. You are getting to be to petite & small:) Keeping you in positive thoughts.

I am not an MD, but I just wanted to say: if you are on meds for high blood pressure, do not change the dose or go off the meds without talking to your dr first.

I am not an MD, but I just wanted to say: if you are on meds for high blood pressure, do not change the dose or go off the meds without talking to your dr first.

Absolutely! Some of my meds work to protect my heart and also regulate my blood pressure. I would not want to give up the wrong one that's keeping me from another hear attack. That's why I'm frustrated by trying to reach the cardiologist for help and advice.

I'm not doing well at all. I am having a hard time staying on this diet even though I know it is going to make me healthy. I haven't weighed myself this week (supposed to be Monday) because I am scared I have gained much of it back. I am afraid to eat because things are bad for me and then I go and get something that really IS bad for me.

The rest of you are doing so well. Keep up the good work.

I know I will get back on track, I am just having a bad bout of pain and the cold and stress I had before the angiogram have kind of taken their toll. I am really hoping I can get to the pool or some form of exercise soon.

Sorry to sound so down. It really isn't as bad as it might seem, I just want to get back on track again. :)

Absolutely! Some of my meds work to protect my heart and also regulate my blood pressure. I would not want to give up the wrong one that's keeping me from another hear attack. That's why I'm frustrated by trying to reach the cardiologist for help and advice.

PF I looked up all my meds, printed out the picture, name and what they were for along with other information. Sometimes my pharmacy will change a pill. I notice it right a way and look it up. It is always just a different manufacturer, same med. But the first couple of times this happened, I freaked out. I thought the pharmacy had made a mistake. Now they give me a notice of the change and why. So I remove the old picture and insert the new one. That way I always know what I am taking. I also write down on each sheet the amount and number of doses I take each day.

I wouldn't dare to stop taking my BP meds. Right now I am having an opposite problem with my BP. It plummets for no reason. The doctor did lower the dose and I seem to be doing good with it. But I would never play around with any of my heart or BP meds. My life depends on them. :angel:

I'm not doing well at all. I am having a hard time staying on this diet even though I know it is going to make me healthy. I haven't weighed myself this week (supposed to be Monday) because I am scared I have gained much of it back. I am afraid to eat because things are bad for me and then I go and get something that really IS bad for me.

The rest of you are doing so well. Keep up the good work.

I know I will get back on track, I am just having a bad bout of pain and the cold and stress I had before the angiogram have kind of taken their toll. I am really hoping I can get to the pool or some form of exercise soon.

Sorry to sound so down. It really isn't as bad as it might seem, I just want to get back on track again. :)
LP--if you are having a hard time with the lifestyle changes re diet, than perhaps it is not for you. Talk to your doctor. {{{hugs}}}

The DH's blood pressure was high. The dr asked him to monitor it for 3 months. He brought a home blood pressure thingy, checked his BP 3x a day for 3 months, averaged it. Normal. Went in, the reading was high. However, he is back on "monitor it for 3 months." I suspect he is stressed when he goes to the dr and that is why it is higher than the readings at home. He is fit, eats more veggies than most people, doesn't smoke (never has) or drink excessively (okay, a beer every so often), and sleeps 8 hours a night. Why he would have high blood pressure is beyond me. If the dr were to put him on meds, he would probably be one of those people who would stop taking them without consulting the dr.--just the way he is. However, if your dr. has you on heart meds, do not stop taking them without talking to your dr. That is one of the biggest complaints I hear from cardio docs, patients decide they are "feeling better" and stop taking their heart meds.

LP--if you are having a hard time with the lifestyle changes re diet, than perhaps it is not for you. Talk to your doctor. {{{hugs}}}

Definitely talk to your doctor. And you know how they often tell you to treat yourself every so often when you are on a diet? Well, would that work for you? You would stick to the diet for six days and on the seventh you could treat yourself. By the time you reach the seventh day and it is time for your treat, you will find that your treat is within the bounds of the diet. You will feel better and not want to eat something that is going to spoil that feeling. Sometimes you have to play games with yourself to accomplish the desired effect. Good luck and keep trying. We are all rooting for you. :angel:

CWS, this is a diet that my naturopath put me on because I am allergic to candida, and sugar (among a huge list of other things) promotes it. My GP is in total agreement with the diagnosis and actually so am I. It is just really hard to stay away from certain items. Oh, I am not talking about cake and cookies and that type of thing. I am talking about fruit (fresh, frozen, dried, juice) of any kind, potatoes and other starches, carrots and peas, pork and other cured meat, etc. I have always thought of myself as a healthy eater but now a lot of what I thought was healthy isn't. I will be able to bring stuff back, but first I have to rid myself completely of it and then bring things back slowly, seeing how they affect me.

On top of all of this, I am allergic to eggs, mushrooms (my favourite thing in the world), beef, avocados, pineapple and papaya and must stay off of most of them for a year. Beef I can have once a week as it is a low allergy and I was off it for two months.

I know I need to do this. The tough times are when TB is at work in the evenings. I can cook healthy for both of us, but there is so little I can eat and I hate cooking a big meal for myself so I end up grazing...on the wrong things. I keep clearing everything out of the house, but there is always something.

I think my problem right now is that because I cheated when I had my cold and then when I had my angiogram (they gave me a sandwich and arrowroots after and I was so hungry I ate them) my chronic pain started up again. The allergy really "hits me where it hurts" literally and then I eat because I am in pain.

I think if I can get the pain and sleep patterns under control I will be able to get back into the swing of things. Weight loss is just a bonus for me here (and will help with the pain thing). The main thing is to not eat things that make me sick.

Thanks for your encouragement and hugs. :)

Definitely talk to your doctor. And you know how they often tell you to treat yourself every so often when you are on a diet? Well, would that work for you? You would stick to the diet for six days and on the seventh you could treat yourself. By the time you reach the seventh day and it is time for your treat, you will find that your treat is within the bounds of the diet. You will feel better and not want to eat something that is going to spoil that feeling. Sometimes you have to play games with yourself to accomplish the desired effect. Good luck and keep trying. We are all rooting for you. :angel:

Thanks, Addie.

Like I said below, this is not a weight-loss diet, but removing foods that I am allergic too. I am allowed to add things back, but before I do I must be completely clear of allergens and symptoms for a month. I haven't gotten to that point yet. But your advice about the 7th day thing sounds good! I keep a dish of pumpkin seeds by my bed, recliner and on my desk. Last night I put some dried fruit beside one of those bowls and while I went for it a couple of times, I found myself reaching for the seeds after that. So, I understand what you mean.! :)

The DH's blood pressure was high. The dr asked him to monitor it for 3 months. He brought a home blood pressure thingy, checked his BP 3x a day for 3 months, averaged it. Normal. Went in, the reading was high. However, he is back on "monitor it for 3 months." I suspect he is stressed when he goes to the dr and that is why it is higher than the readings at home. He is fit, eats more veggies than most people, doesn't smoke (never has) or drink excessively (okay, a beer every so often), and sleeps 8 hours a night. Why he would have high blood pressure is beyond me. If the dr were to put him on meds, he would probably be one of those people who would stop taking them without consulting the dr.--just the way he is. However, if your dr. has you on heart meds, do not stop taking them without talking to your dr. That is one of the biggest complaints I hear from cardio docs, patients decide they are "feeling better" and stop taking their heart meds.
My doctor told my DH to buy a blood pressure meter (are they even called sphygmomanometers anymore?) for exactly the reason you mentioned. She said people often have higher BP readings at the doctor's office from stress, so take them at home. Unfortunately, his BP was still high and she is still working on the right dosage.

My doctor told my DH to buy a blood pressure meter (are they even called sphygmomanometers anymore?) for exactly the reason you mentioned. She said people often have higher BP readings at the doctor's office from stress, so take them at home. Unfortunately, his BP was still high and she is still working on the right dosage.

Dad had a BP meter at home as well (we still have it actually). We had to monitor it regularly because his health issues would affect it. I would call it into the doctor and he would adjust the meds accordingly. It's a good idea to have one!

Well, to quote GWTW, "Tomorrow is another day". And today is my tomorrow! I had a rough weekend health and emotion wise, but got a good sleep and have a new outlook.

We got the supplements I was missing and I was able to get pretty well back on track with my meal plan for my intolerances (I have decided to not use the "d" word. I was down yesterday because I had regained 5 pounds and TB reminded me that it isn't about the weight, that is a positive benefit of staying away from foods that make me sick.

This morning I have a better outlook, less pain and more energy. These are both related to not having sugar, starches and other things that my body is "rejecting". I am currently working on a menu plan and grocery list for the week so that will really help as well.

Thanks again to everyone here - I feel so good that I can "be myself" and get encouraged. You encourage me personally, but also by your own stories. I am hoping to start using the Food Diary thread as well! :)

Dad had a BP meter at home as well (we still have it actually). We had to monitor it regularly because his health issues would affect it. I would call it into the doctor and he would adjust the meds accordingly. It's a good idea to have one!

I check my BP daily, so does Shrek. If you take BP meds you should learn how to keep track of your BP...the new meters are fool proof. I had the fun of teaching Shrek when you had to use a cuff and stethoscope.

Off my diet today...had my stress test, was better than I thought it would be...until I got stuck in the machine when it went offline. No problem, I took a nap while they figured it out.:LOL: Poor Shrek was waiting and had no idea what was going on. And this is twice in a row someone listened to me and got the right vein on the first try.:w00t2:

Back
Top Bottom