Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep telling my doctor that in the last 2 years that I quot smoking I am less healthy than I ever was. I gain total of about 30 pounds, and first 20 i was kind of ok, but last 10 really are hard.

I feel the same way, Charlie. I had a heart attack, my nerves are shot, gaining weight and I can no longer control my diabetes with diet. I truly believe the stress of quitting smoking has adversely effected my health.

Delicia, good for you!! Wow!!

I want a round of applause--I am down 60 pounds since this time last year. My blood sugar was too high, and I have knocked off the grains and sugar. Sugar, not a problem, but I do miss all those grainy things.

Congratulations that is fantastic!

I am restricting grains also and it is tough but, it works.

Any tips you have would be appreciated.

Congratulations that is fantastic!

I am restricting grains also and it is tough but, it works.

Any tips you have would be appreciated.

I"ve just recently started eating all the grains I want and I've put on 5 pounds more of me already in two weeks.

Still warm, thick sliced and toasted Homemade bread slathered with butter is my downfall. It's like a dessert to me.

I"ve just recently started eating all the grains I want and I've put on 5 pounds more of me already in two weeks.

Still warm, thick sliced and toasted Homemade bread slathered with butter is my downfall. It's like a dessert to me.

I hear ya!

I live a couple of miles from an old Italian bakery that makes the best bread in the world.

Everyone I know always buys an extra loaf to eat in the car on the way home because the aroma of the warm bread makes you crazy.

I hear ya!

I live a couple of miles from an old Italian bakery that makes the best bread in the world.

Everyone I know always buys an extra loaf to eat in the car on the way home because the aroma of the warm bread makes you crazy.

I couldn't agree more, Aunt Bea! I had a bakery directly across the street from me when I lived in Berlin. They made little personal loafs of bread that were perfect for one person! I got one every morning at 4am and had it with breakfast. Yum City!

sparrowgrass said:
Delicia, good for you!! Wow!!

I want a round of applause--I am down 60 pounds since this time last year. My blood sugar was too high, and I have knocked off the grains and sugar. Sugar, not a problem, but I do miss all those grainy things.

Wow, Sparrowgrass, that's a mid-sized child! Congrats!!!

And congrats to Delicia!!!

Way to go guys!!!

Last edited:
STOP with the warm bread talk, or I will find you and smother you in your sleep!! :mad:

We did a benefit yesterday for 2 kids fighting cancer--I baked 4 loaves of honey oat bread, 3 pumpkin and 2 apple pies. And didn't have a bite of any of them!! (We had an auctioneer selling the stuff--the bread brought $8 a loaf and the pies went for about $10 each. Made me feel good!)

Yes, it is hard, and yes, I do miss my bread and pasta and rice--but I would miss my eyes and my kidneys and my feet more, so I try to think about that. I have a disease, and I am a major part of the treatment!

I love veggies, and I am a meat eater, so maybe it is easier for me. I don't restrict most vegetables, and I really don't worry about fat--butter or olive oil on the veggies, nice juicy chicken thighs or pork.

And, hateful as it is, some exercise every day. I have a recumbent bike, but I am more likely to spend my exercise time DOING something--working in the garden, vacuuming under the furniture, raking leaves. Seems more productive, and as long as I am up and around, it counts.

Congrats Sparrowgrass! That's great.

I have lost 10 lb this year--a surprise, because I've been the same weight forever and wasn't trying to lose weight. I cut way back on refined sugar, processed foods, and bread. I eat more quinoa, bulgar wheat, and wild rice (well, I always ate wild rice). I rarely eat pasta. I switched from orange juice to home-squeezed veggie juice. EVOO and vinegar, S&P on salads. And, 1 8 oz glass of water with 1 T of vinegar in it 3x/day. I love protein, veggies, and fruit, and focus on that. My treat is to eat cheese. I also take 1/2 of the amount I used to take and leave 2 T (for example, if it is mashed potatoes) and use a luncheon plate instead of a dinner plate.

Last edited:
I've always been at a good wait until I had my third child. With my first two I lost the weight without even trying. With My third the weight refuse to come off. I started at 145 lbs at the start of my pregnacy and was 200 by the time I had her. Then I gain 10 more pounds after that. I was miserable....

Anyway I lost about 65 lbs and that was six years ago. I manage to keep it off until last year when I lost my oldest sister to breast cancer. Then I lost a brother this year to lung cancer. So it's been stressful to say the least. I've gained about 10 pounds back. I know i need to keep my health in check especially since cancer has taken to family members.

So I am now eating better and trying to lose the weight. You have those people who are always telling you the weight is in the "right places" so I don't need to lose...THat's bull!! No extra weight is good weight. So, I'm gonna try to eat better and exercise. I'm going to try anyway.....

Just moved into a house that needs a LOT of deep cleaning before we unpack, so it makes it really hard to cook and eat healthy. Pretty much been living off ramen noodles and pizza for the last week. I'm almost done with the cleaning but then we still have to unpack. Pretty sure I've gained a few pounds already :/ I can't wait to get back to my (mostly) healthy diet. Plus, I bought Halloween candy and didn't get one trick or treator!!!

Just moved into a house that needs a LOT of deep cleaning before we unpack, so it makes it really hard to cook and eat healthy. Pretty much been living off ramen noodles and pizza for the last week. I'm almost done with the cleaning but then we still have to unpack. Pretty sure I've gained a few pounds already :/ I can't wait to get back to my (mostly) healthy diet. Plus, I bought Halloween candy and didn't get one trick or treator!!!

That's why I didn't get any halloween candy this year. Last year we didn't have any trick or treaters and all that candy was left for me to finish off, lol. This year we had no trick or treaters and no candy for me to eat...

most years, after the thanksgiving/christmas/new years' holidays, if i've gained less than five pounds, i feel i've done alright. i accept it, with a vague plan for getting back into shape come the new year.

i have a new plan for this holiday season. my goal is to lose 1-3 pounds by 2012. my back-up plan (simply must have one) is to hold fast--zero tolerance for a single ounce of weight gain. turkey day will be here in less than a week. i am confident i can meet my goal and still enjoy the special holiday goodies along the way....:)

I have started to really watch what I eat. If I want something I will eat some but I no longer stuff myself. I do eat a lot more real food and mostly stay away from fast and processed foods. Its hard since I travel for work but the results are worth it.

Now it is harder to drop the pounds but the fat is still coming off.

Before I my pants waist size was 38 now I wear 34's and they are loose.

Me March 2010 in Pakistan @ 265lbs.
img_1088210_0_740316d06f77bf7756c33d0745709911.jpg

Me about two weeks ago in Cali, Colombia @ 200lbs.
img_1088210_1_01236581c300e7e6b1433349cc6e4e19.jpg

Wow powerplantop, I'm impressed.

Look at the difference in your face! Now we can see that you are handsome and not just cute ;)

Back
Top Bottom