Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to the pool today after work. Deep water aerobics then onto aqua chi. I did get an extra 20 mn of swimming in in between classes.

Thanks to all for the wonderful support!!

Way to go SB! :clap:

I was having some pain this morning but TB offered to drive me to the pool and I got my 30 lengths (finally figured out it is 450 meters) in. It felt really good.

The pain is my sciatica and we have realized that the exercise is triggering it, but I have some things my physio taught me to help unpinch it so I am going to try that and hope to be at the pool on Wednesday though I will have to drive myself as TB goes back to work. I can't damage myself with the pool walking and as long as I treat the sciatic nerve properly, I will be fine.

Glad to here you made it to the pool. Water always seems to make things better.

I had a frustrating day at work. I work w my husband & some days are better than others. I went into the gym today for 2.5 hours. I got 50 mn on the elliptical, 40 mn on the bike then also did several weight machines.
Feeling much better now after a long hot shower.

I am unfortunately having a lot of pain in my side. I don't know if I will make it to the pool tomorrow. I think I might have to give it a rest and/or go see the doctor. I thought it was my sciatica which I usually get on the other side, but it is definitely different, probably muscular. I don't think I can do damage, but being in this much pain is not pleasant, specially when it is on top of my chronic pain.

At the doctor yesterday, I was 5 pound lighter than i was last time I was there.
All I have done is cut down on my sugar intake.

When I can get back into my suits, I will be happy.

Congratulations on your weight loss!! ......Maybe that is what I need to look at to make that darn scale go down.

I had deep water aerobics tonight.

Hope that pain gets better for you Laurie & it ends up just being muscular, you do not need that right now! I know my legs were pretty sore all day with the intense work out yesterday.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your weight loss!! ......Maybe that is what I need to look at to make that darn scale go down.

I had deep water aerobics tonight.

You both know that it is the carbs that put the weight on and it will be the lack of them that will take the weight off. Just step up your protein and you won't want the carbs so much. :angel:

Unless the laws of thermodynamics have changed, it's excess calories that cause weight gain. You can eat 100% carbs as long as they fall into your calorie range and weight loss will still happen.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Unless the laws of thermodynamics have changed, it's excess calories that cause weight gain. You can eat 100% carbs as long as they fall into your calorie range and weight loss will still happen.

I have been staying in my calorie range, or lower, & working out 5 days sometimes 6 days a week for the past 4 weeks & the scale isn't going down at all.:huh:

That's because muscle weighs more than fat!!!!!!!

:bounce::clap::w00t2:Hey Everyone!!!! SB is making muscles!!!!:w00t2::bounce::clap:

Last edited:
I have been staying in my calorie range, or lower, & working out 5 days sometimes 6 days a week for the past 4 weeks & the scale isn't going down at all.:huh:

The body is a tricky thing, I know that mine is, it loses weight in its own time, on its own terms!

You both know that it is the carbs that put the weight on and it will be the lack of them that will take the weight off. Just step up your protein and you won't want the carbs so much. :angel:
Interesting that you mention this today just because of a segment I saw on Rachael Ray's show today. Wait a couple days and I'd probably forgotten it. :ermm: :LOL: Identical twin brothers, both of whom are physicians, did a little experiment. The are equally healthy and active at the start of the month. One ate almost no fat, the other avoided sugars. The twin on the no-carb diet actually performed below the level of his twin both in physical activity and mental challenges. They both lost about the same amount of weight but the one who avoided carbs lost weight due to loss of muscle and was closer to being diabetic. (Emphasis mine.) If you want to read an article about this experiment you can find it here: Twin doctors diet experiment: One gave up sugar, one gave up fat - NY Daily News

Just one more proof of the saying "all things in moderation". Like bakechef said, calories in/calories out. If you eat less than you use, voila! weight loss.

Interesting that you mention this today just because of a segment I saw on Rachael Ray's show today. Wait a couple days and I'd probably forgotten it. :ermm: :LOL: Identical twin brothers, both of whom are physicians, did a little experiment. The are equally healthy and active at the start of the month. One ate almost no fat, the other avoided sugars. The twin on the no-carb diet actually performed below the level of his twin both in physical activity and mental challenges. They both lost about the same amount of weight but the one who avoided carbs lost weight due to loss of muscle and was closer to being diabetic. (Emphasis mine.) If you want to read an article about this experiment you can find it here: Twin doctors diet experiment: One gave up sugar, one gave up fat - NY Daily News

Just one more proof of the saying "all things in moderation". Like bakechef said, calories in/calories out. If you eat less than you use, voila! weight loss.

If you break down every fad diet out there, they will all have one thing in common, they are all pretty close to the same amount of calories at the end of the day.

There are lots of studies out there, but no scientific facts that contradict calories in/out. Sure there are people for whatever health reasons need to avoid certain things, but for normal, healthy people fad diets are unnecessary. Reminds me of this very opinionated co-worker that would lecture me on carbs almost every day at lunch, telling me "you aren't going to lose weight eating carbs", guess who lost 75 pounds...

I agree with the calories in vs calories out idea, but I also believe that in order to be successful you need to restrict concentrated foods of all types. As an example 3 tablespoons of maple syrup has about 40 net carbs the same as a medium size head of cabbage. I think in order to feel satisfied you need the bulk provided by some of these less concentrated foods.

The bottom line is that we all need to find a way that works for us. I think someday the medical community will wake up and begin treating different types of people in different ways instead of the one size fits all approach that seems to be used today.

The idea that all Chihuahuas are dogs, but not all dogs are Chihuahuas sort of thing. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The most sensible diet I've seen is the no-flour, no-sugar diet. Eat nothing made with flour (bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc.) or sugar, including that hidden in labels on processed foods. This almost forces you to eat only whole, homemade foods and gets rid of the empty calories.

That reminds me - I read this recently on Michael Ruhlman's blog:

The “of course” moment. It didn’t come from [Michael] Pollan, but rather from a researcher he interviewed, Harry Balzer, who works for the market research behemoth NPD, and studies all kinds of eating trends.

Pollan writes: “So I asked him how, in an ideal world, Americans might begin to undo the damage that the modern diet of industrially prepared food has done to our health?”

“Easy [Balzer said]. You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It’s short, and it’s simple. Here’s my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That’s it. Eat anything you want—just as long as you’re willing to cook it yourself.”

http://ruhlman.com/2013/06/cooked-food-for-thought/

Last edited:

This is the post of the day Addie! Spot on.

Forget everything you have learned about weight loss for one day and read Dr. Atkins book. Diet Revolution.
Until I read this book and ultimately became an Atkins diet supporter, I was thinking just like you are.

This is because low calories diets do not work. It is that simple.

I have always had to watch my weight. Diets were not the answer. Science is.
Myself and several co-workers did a non-scientific trial at work one time.
The unbelievers did it the old fashioned way with calorie reduction and the others took the low carb approach.
The results proved the low carb approach worked best for the participants.
I believe/remember the low carb dieters lost more than twice the weight compared to the low calorie dieters.
We did weigh ins at the office.

This recent weight loss for me is because I cut out sugar and I cut out most bread. But I did and still am eating some pasta and drinking some beer.
Since I am not to overweight, I can just adjust my carb intake whereas one that is obese may need to address this more drastically.

I made my monthly trek to Winthrop today. I have lost two pounds again. And I sure don't know how. I have been eating a lot of food lately. Mostly proteins as being a diabetic, I avoid carbs almost always. The only thing I might contribute the loss to is that I haven't been drinking as much coffee. And I put sugar in my coffee. I am not trying to lose weight. Just to hold on to where I am at the moment. But I certainly am not complaining about the loss either. I am just curious as to why the small losses each month. :angel:

This is the post of the day Addie! Spot on.

Forget everything you have learned about weight loss for one day and read Dr. Atkins book. Diet Revolution.
Until I read this book and ultimately became an Atkins diet supporter, I was thinking just like you are.

This is because low calories diets do not work. It is that simple.

I have always had to watch my weight. Diets were not the answer. Science is.
Myself and several co-workers did a non-scientific trial at work one time.
The unbelievers did it the old fashioned way with calorie reduction and the others took the low carb approach.
The results proved the low carb approach worked best for the participants.
I believe/remember the low carb dieters lost more than twice the weight compared to the low calorie dieters.
We did weigh ins at the office.

This recent weight loss for me is because I cut out sugar and I cut out most bread. But I did and still am eating some pasta and drinking some beer.
Since I am not to overweight, I can just adjust my carb intake whereas one that is obese may need to address this more drastically.

I have to disagree with you on this, science doesn't back this up. There are studies, but no scientific fact. Unless you have something medically wrong, calories in/calories out does work, it's scientifically proven.

With that said, do what works for you. As someone who has battled his weight all of his life, I've found that big restrictions really don't work for me in the long term.

I'm not saying that Atkins doesn't work, it does. For me and many others, severe restriction doesn't work for the long term.

Last edited:
The calculation of calories in food is based on burning the food. Since this isn't how my body gets energy, I have some reservations about the actual value of counting "calories".

Note, when I say "burning the food", I mean that they actually burn it. When we are talking about a body burning calories, we aren't talking about flames.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom