"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Scotch - you may very well be right. My parents enjoyed both of the above & perhaps I'm confusing them. That said, I do believe my favorite watering hole way back when garnished both cocktails with marichino cherries & orange slices, which is probably helping with my confusion.
The main diff is the sweet vermouth. And many bars do throw in all the garbage (technical term) they have regardless of the drink. There are a heck of a lot of really ignorant and incompetent bartenders around -- the ones who can mess up a Scotch and soda!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
Senior Cook

The recipes I've looked at all call for muddling a cherry, orange slice, or other fruit (i.e. Old Fashioned recipe). That's really all I meant by "labor intensive" - because if I want to make myself 2-3 of these in a night, sometimes I'd rather just have a drink I can build simply in a glass or else just shake and strain.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Oh, and I do not mean to imply that making an Old-Fashioned would actually use a "whole orange." What I meant was, if I am going to slice up an orange to use in a drink, and I only make one drink. What will I do but throw away the remainder of the orange. Therefore, I'm using a "whole orange" for one drink.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
Oh, and I do not mean to imply that making an Old-Fashioned would actually use a "whole orange." What I meant was, if I am going to slice up an orange to use in a drink, and I only make one drink. What will I do but throw away the remainder of the orange. Therefore, I'm using a "whole orange" for one drink.
Well, again, the original calls for just a bit of lemon peel.

I might suggest partially zesting either an orange or a lemon as an alternative. This way, you're not even cutting into the fruit, meaning it's usable again later.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
What will I do but throw away the remainder of the orange.
I know this is going to sound absolutely crazy, but hear me out. There are parts of the world where people...no really listen...it is true..they actually EAT oranges. You could try that
Old 08-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I know this is going to sound absolutely crazy, but hear me out. There are parts of the world where people...no really listen...it is true..they actually EAT oranges. You could try that
Lemon tree very pretty,
And the lemon flower is sweet,
But the fruit of the poor lemon
Is impossible to eat!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

LOL my kids have yet to learn that lesson Scotch
Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #18
Head Chef

I guess you're not as old as you seem. ;-)

It's an old Peter, Paul & Mary song from their debut album issued in 1962, the heyday of American folk music. Here's a link to the original song: Peter, Paul & Mary - Lemon Tree - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music
Old 08-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
You're kidding, right? You mean you'd make one drink & toss the rest of the orange rather than 1) eating it, 2) juicing it & using the juice in any number of recipes for a bit of citrus flair, 3) cutting it up & stuffing it into a chicken or duck?

Maybe what you need is a bartending site rather than a cooking site.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I guess you're not as old as you seem. ;-)

It's an old Peter, Paul & Mary song from their debut album issued in 1962, the heyday of American folk music. Here's a link to the original song: Peter, Paul & Mary - Lemon Tree - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music
I remember that song and caught on to your initial verses - I guess that dates me as an old man!