Beer not worth buying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
John that is kind of an interesting concept. Do you happen to know which ingredients they used from each continent?

I have a partial list from their website, but not all of them...

Brewed with ingredients from every continet (crystallized ginger from Australia, water from Antarctica, basmati rice from Asia, etc...)

I know they also used yeast from Belgium, so that would cover Europe.

John

Heineken, I'll pass on it every time. Give me an ice cold Yuengling or LaBatt Blue

ronjohn55 said:
I have a partial list from their website, but not all of them...

Brewed with ingredients from every continet (crystallized ginger from Australia, water from Antarctica, basmati rice from Asia, etc...)

I know they also used yeast from Belgium, so that would cover Europe.

John
Water...of course! i was trying to figure out what they would have used from Antartica. i forgot about the most important and most obvious ingredient :wacko:

I have to admit I'm a bit of a beer snob. When offered either water or a domestic, mass-produced beer like Miller Lite, Bud, Coors, et cetera, I'll take the water. I will drink Amber Bock, Michelob Black and Tan and Killian's, but if the beer is in the "mass produced for the NASCAR fan's taste" vein, I'd just as soon drink something else.

I have to agree Phinz, most domestic beers aren't worth buying or even taking for free. I don't drink much but when I do I prefer Woodchuck Cider or Heineken.

wow, what varying tastes we have, snobs or not.

woodchuck cider is terrible imo. applejack is only slightlt better.
s-n-s, if you get the chance, try magner's or bullmer's cider.

and i think the heineken sold in america is made from petrochemicals.

still, beer is beer.

I don't drink Malternatives either, like "ciders."

I also must add: I don't drink beers that come in green bottles. They always smell like a skunk to me. Heineken, Grolsch, Moosehead, et al.

The "skunk" smell isn't just relegated to green bottled beer.

And it dissipates in a minute or so. It's just a product of fermentation - & a better beer. You'll never find a Budweiser with that whiff - green bottle or not.

phinz said:
I don't drink Malternatives either, like "ciders."

I also must add: I don't drink beers that come in green bottles. They always smell like a skunk to me. Heineken, Grolsch, Moosehead, et al.

Ahh Malternatives. I'm not a big fan either, although I believe that the Ciders Buckytom recommended are actual Cider, not filtered malt alcohol flavored with syrups.

As for the skunking, there's a good reason for that - it's caused by a chemical compound causing it that is nearly identical to skunk spray. It's created when ultraviolet light reacts with the hop compounds in beer.

Brown bottles filter the light best, then green, then clear. No bottle is foolproof, and if you buy the sixer sitting on the shelf of the beerstore freezer, right in front of the cooler light, odds are it'll be skunked.

Of course, if you buy beer by the sealed case, this is less of an issue. :angel:

John

when i was in college i drank a bunch of nasty beers.

milwakee's Best, ice house, you knname it, I drank it.

I was sick a lot in college too...

My mom, a.k.a. Granny, never really drank much alcohol ever...then about 5 years ago discovered that she liked an ice cold beer. Since Busch Natural Ice is $4.99 for 12 at Bottle King, that's her fave. My eldest daughter had her college friends over last summer for a party, and the boys saw the Natural Ice in our garage fridge. "Hey....who drinks the 'Natty'?". "Um, it's my Gran's..." They thought this was hugely funny and dragged Granny outside to have a beer with them. I don't drink beer, but everyone I know who does tells me that this particular beer is terrible. My daughter says it's college boy's nectar because it's so cheap. (BTW all the kids were over 21 - plus, we made them give us their keys - they slept over that night, watching scary movies after the party was over!)

A local mini-mart is running a commercial for thier seven-course meal. A six-pack and a corn dog. I wonder if they'll throw in some NASCAR brand meat sticks.

Pepe's in Key West has, on their menu, two different breakfast specials.

The Dutch Omelet, which consists of 2 eggs, any way you want them, and a Heineken.

The Resurrection Omelet, which consists of 2 eggs, any way you want them, and a Rolling Rock.

Both green bottle beers. :sick:

buckytom said:
wow, what varying tastes we have, snobs or not.

woodchuck cider is terrible imo. applejack is only slightlt better.
s-n-s, if you get the chance, try magner's or bullmer's cider.

and i think the heineken sold in america is made from petrochemicals.

still, beer is beer.

I thought it was okay, but then again I don't really drink a whole lot of beer. I'll try to remember to taste those other ciders your suggested. As for Heineken sold in America, it isn't anywhere near as good as the stuff you get in Germany, which is what I use to drink when I lived there. I've noticed that my boyfriend and most of his friends prefer Murphy's Stout, Harp Lager, and Shiner Bock though.

I reall really dislike beer in general, so I won't drink it even if given to my by the case. The one exception I'll make is Coronoa with a lime, which is just ok. It's the sort of thing I have to be in the mood for.

mudbug said:
and you call yourself a college student?! my, how times have changed.......

LOL

yeah, I'm definitely one of those folks that gets stared at strangely when I don't drink at the parties. Usually b/c they have nothing other than $4/case beer that tastes like... well you know what bad beer gets compared to.

This is not to say I don't drink... Every now and again folks will have old liquor lying around, so i can make myself a rum and coke, or varoius vodka/tequila based drinks which have no official name.

Parties aren't really my scene anyways, my girlfriend and I much prefer going out to a quiet and small restaurant where she can get a fruity cocktail and I can try some different wines.

college_cook said:
Parties aren't really my scene anyways, my girlfriend and I much prefer going out to a quiet and small restaurant where she can get a fruity cocktail and I can try some different wines.

I have to agree with college_cook here, that there are many more college students these days opting for a glass of premium juice and ice cream rather than choke down some semi-bitter slime.

The one thing holding us back, I think, is money. We financial aid kids don't have a lot of disposable income to drop on fine wines and such. The kids at my school spend most of it on skiing, and the rest on beer. I choose food and good beer. Wines will wait until I'm a bit older and a little more tired.

mo' slicka malt licka

king kobra! nasty stuff!!

Unless it is ice cold, and even then it is still heinous!!

I was once almost broke, and buying a 40 o.z of this delicacy.... A patron at the store said if I drank a couple a dem I would wanna go home and smack my mamma. I asked if I could smack his instead, felt bad when he told me she was dead. But I told him I didnt mind......that is some bad stuff .....

St Ides is worst ever!! But if it is free BOTTOMS UP!!:stuart:
It is downright EVIL
Someone told me they put 4melgahyde in dere
well if I am gonna butcher the spelling might as well go all out!!

I am partial to darker microbrew type beers, I love Killians and Oberan, but I have been known to knock down a couple fowties of dat mo slicka malt licka on occasion... just once .....ummmm ......when I was in college ...long ago.....

wasnt it billy dee williams in the colt 45 commercial........dont let the smooth tast fool ya?? LOL u can tell he dont drink it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom