"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 04-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #31
Sous Chef

My mom, a.k.a. Granny, never really drank much alcohol ever...then about 5 years ago discovered that she liked an ice cold beer. Since Busch Natural Ice is $4.99 for 12 at Bottle King, that's her fave. My eldest daughter had her college friends over last summer for a party, and the boys saw the Natural Ice in our garage fridge. "Hey....who drinks the 'Natty'?". "Um, it's my Gran's..." They thought this was hugely funny and dragged Granny outside to have a beer with them. I don't drink beer, but everyone I know who does tells me that this particular beer is terrible. My daughter says it's college boy's nectar because it's so cheap. (BTW all the kids were over 21 - plus, we made them give us their keys - they slept over that night, watching scary movies after the party was over!)

Old 04-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
A local mini-mart is running a commercial for thier seven-course meal. A six-pack and a corn dog. I wonder if they'll throw in some NASCAR brand meat sticks.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #33
Head Chef

Pepe's in Key West has, on their menu, two different breakfast specials.

The Dutch Omelet, which consists of 2 eggs, any way you want them, and a Heineken.

The Resurrection Omelet, which consists of 2 eggs, any way you want them, and a Rolling Rock.

Both green bottle beers.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
wow, what varying tastes we have, snobs or not.

woodchuck cider is terrible imo. applejack is only slightlt better.
s-n-s, if you get the chance, try magner's or bullmer's cider.

and i think the heineken sold in america is made from petrochemicals.

still, beer is beer.
I thought it was okay, but then again I don't really drink a whole lot of beer. I'll try to remember to taste those other ciders your suggested. As for Heineken sold in America, it isn't anywhere near as good as the stuff you get in Germany, which is what I use to drink when I lived there. I've noticed that my boyfriend and most of his friends prefer Murphy's Stout, Harp Lager, and Shiner Bock though.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I reall really dislike beer in general, so I won't drink it even if given to my by the case. The one exception I'll make is Coronoa with a lime, which is just ok. It's the sort of thing I have to be in the mood for.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
It's the sort of thing I have to be in the mood for.
and you call yourself a college student?! my, how times have changed.......
Old 04-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #37
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
and you call yourself a college student?! my, how times have changed.......
LOL

yeah, I'm definitely one of those folks that gets stared at strangely when I don't drink at the parties. Usually b/c they have nothing other than $4/case beer that tastes like... well you know what bad beer gets compared to.

This is not to say I don't drink... Every now and again folks will have old liquor lying around, so i can make myself a rum and coke, or varoius vodka/tequila based drinks which have no official name.

Parties aren't really my scene anyways, my girlfriend and I much prefer going out to a quiet and small restaurant where she can get a fruity cocktail and I can try some different wines.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to GarrettB Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettB
Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
Parties aren't really my scene anyways, my girlfriend and I much prefer going out to a quiet and small restaurant where she can get a fruity cocktail and I can try some different wines.
I have to agree with college_cook here, that there are many more college students these days opting for a glass of premium juice and ice cream rather than choke down some semi-bitter slime.

The one thing holding us back, I think, is money. We financial aid kids don't have a lot of disposable income to drop on fine wines and such. The kids at my school spend most of it on skiing, and the rest on beer. I choose food and good beer. Wines will wait until I'm a bit older and a little more tired.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #39
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to bubba_sybo
mo' slicka malt licka

king kobra! nasty stuff!!

Unless it is ice cold, and even then it is still heinous!!

I was once almost broke, and buying a 40 o.z of this delicacy.... A patron at the store said if I drank a couple a dem I would wanna go home and smack my mamma. I asked if I could smack his instead, felt bad when he told me she was dead. But I told him I didnt mind......that is some bad stuff .....

St Ides is worst ever!! But if it is free BOTTOMS UP!!
It is downright EVIL
Someone told me they put 4melgahyde in dere
well if I am gonna butcher the spelling might as well go all out!!

I am partial to darker microbrew type beers, I love Killians and Oberan, but I have been known to knock down a couple fowties of dat mo slicka malt licka on occasion... just once .....ummmm ......when I was in college ...long ago.....

wasnt it billy dee williams in the colt 45 commercial........dont let the smooth tast fool ya?? LOL u can tell he dont drink it!!!!