"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Master Chef

Breezy Cooking,
Where did you see that I suggested substituting sweet wine for dry wine? I said that I do it and that it isn't true to the recipe. Did you even read my post or do you just automatically disagree with me when you see I've posted someting?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
Master Chef

I apologize CharlieD. I definitely misread your post & meaning. And no, I don't automatically disagree with you when I see you've posted something.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
you know, this is certainly not the first time that a topic like this has come up. i think it's an outcropping from the whole wine-is-trendy thing we have going on now...even people who don't like wine want to try cooking with it!

anyway the point is, would an administrator consider starting a sticky in either "general cooking" or "booze" that would cover the basics of wine in recipies?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
Executive Chef

wine adds an important flavor to many dishes, and unlocks many flavors in others. Julia Child always used a dry vermouth as a white cooking wine, but a chablis or chardonay works fine too. For reds, a burgundy, a cabernet or a merlot are fine. Dry sherry and brandy are also sometimes called for as is marsala. And these are specific ingedients for those recipes.

keep away from salted "cooking wines" and wines with flavors like citrus chillers.

As you don't drink wine, look for or ask for a wine with a screw cap, and small bottles.

For a pan deglaze or sauce as little as a 1/4 cup may be called ofr, but some recipes like a beef burgundy require a whole bottle 750ml.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver
you know, this is certainly not the first time that a topic like this has come up. i think it's an outcropping from the whole wine-is-trendy thing we have going on now...even people who don't like wine want to try cooking with it!

anyway the point is, would an administrator consider starting a sticky in either "general cooking" or "booze" that would cover the basics of wine in recipies?
I wouldn't exactly say it's trendy. It's been a part of many cuisines (i.e. French, Italian, Spanish, etc.) for generations. Sadly to say, there are still many people only discovering the joys of foods other than casseroles and hamburger helper now.

Regarding the "sticky", the information is here on in the forum for everyone to read and learn from. The problem is that people are too lazy or not smart enough to do a search. They'd rather post their question and wait all day for replies rather then take 10 minutes out of their time to search past threads. The internet is great because there's a wealth of information, but it's also made people more stupid because it doesn't take any effort on their part to find out the answers. Learning is not just in the answers, it's in the process.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
ironchef, i'm sadly going to have to agree with all of the above. i suppose better late than never on people learning new cooking techniques, tho...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
Master Chef

IC,

Your Marcel avatar is hilarious! He looks like Zippy the Pinhead, though ...
Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver
ironchef, i'm sadly going to have to agree with all of the above. i suppose better late than never on people learning new cooking techniques, tho...
You're right though...better late than never.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
IC,

Your Marcel avatar is hilarious! He looks like Zippy the Pinhead, though ...
Yeah, I was laughing when I saw this pic of him. I figured it would make a perfect avatar.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I would go out and buy a French cookbook... Almost every recipe they have involves wine and it's a great way to get started and figure out what you like.

I suggest some riesling recipes if you like fish...