Does Marsala wine need to be refrigerated after opening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jusa

Sous Chef
I bought some good Marsala dry wine for cooking (going to make chicken Marsala) and of course I am not going to need the entire bottle. I was wondering if it needs to be refrigerated after opening since I don't plan on using it again for awhile. Does anyone have any experience with this?

1695071514314.png

I’ve never refrigerated mine in 40 years of buying it. It’s fortified wine. All my fortified wines (sherry, port, brandy) live in the liquor cabinet.

I’ve never refrigerated mine in 40 years of buying it. It’s fortified wine. All my fortified wines (sherry, port, brandy) live in the liquor cabinet.
Thanks. I knew that the cheap stuff on the cooking wine shelf in the grocery store was shelf stable and also know it tastes awful. Wasn't sure about better quality stuff.

In the past I refrigerated port because I only used it about once every few years.

My port, 2 Marsala's, and others could easily be 10 yrs old, my brandy, cognac and probably something else is arround 20 maybe even 30 years old.

all in a pine chest

I also don't refrigerate the fortified wines, but one thing you might want to invest in, for this, and many other things, is a Vacu Vin. With this, a rubber stopper is placed in the bottle, then you pump out almost all of the air, and things store well forever, or at least until used. I use this on a number of things in my liquor cabinet, because, like regular wines, that air above the liquor can oxidize, and change flavor of things. I use it on my cognac, more expensive tequila, and a couple other things - most sugary things I don't bother, but I have had some things go bad (not enough alcohol!), so I protect those. They have way more expensive electric versions, but why bother? The hand model is incredibly cheap (maybe $3 more than when I bought mine, in the 80s), and the electric ones don't pump out any more (a friend got one when they came out, and it actually pumped out less, so she took it back!).
Vacu Vin
The reason I got mine is a funny story: Back in the 80s, when I would drink a lot of wine, when I would make French or Italian dinners to a lady I knew. Usually she would drink about half of the first bottle, but when I asked if she wanted more wine, and she did, she would then not drink much, forcing me to finish the bottle :LOL:. After getting one of these vacu vins, I could save half a bottle or more, with little change in flavor.

My ex had a business relationship with a very wealthy man. The wealthy dude had spent the money to get a nitrogen cabinet for his wine. It forces nitrogen into the bottle to squirt out the wine for serving, keeping all new oxygen from getting into the bottle. He tried a Vacu Vin and said he couldn't tell the difference. After that, the nitrogen cabinet was only used for the really expensive wines. I have a Vacu Vin, but never thought of using it for my more expensive booze that is full strength. I have never had a bottle of fortified wine go off and I never do anything special with them other than make sure to close the bottle promptly.

BTW, a tip from Julia Child: if you don't use white wine very often, then get some dry vermouth to use for cooking instead. Vermouth is fortified, so it will keep virtually forever, even after opening. The other thing she liked about dry vermouth in cooking is that it already has herbs in it.

I also don't refrigerate the fortified wines, but one thing you might want to invest in, for this, and many other things, is a Vacu Vin. With this, a rubber stopper is placed in the bottle, then you pump out almost all of the air, and things store well forever, or at least until used. I use this on a number of things in my liquor cabinet, because, like regular wines, that air above the liquor can oxidize, and change flavor of things. I use it on my cognac, more expensive tequila, and a couple other things - most sugary things I don't bother, but I have had some things go bad (not enough alcohol!), so I protect those. They have way more expensive electric versions, but why bother? The hand model is incredibly cheap (maybe $3 more than when I bought mine, in the 80s), and the electric ones don't pump out any more (a friend got one when they came out, and it actually pumped out less, so she took it back!).
Vacu Vin
The reason I got mine is a funny story: Back in the 80s, when I would drink a lot of wine, when I would make French or Italian dinners to a lady I knew. Usually she would drink about half of the first bottle, but when I asked if she wanted more wine, and she did, she would then not drink much, forcing me to finish the bottle :LOL:. After getting one of these vacu vins, I could save half a bottle or more, with little change in flavor.
Most wine and booze doesn't last long around my house usually, lol. I have never bought marsala wine before and don't plan on drinking it. It's solely for cooking. But that's very good advice for those special occasion items, thanks!

Try a swallow. You might change your mind. ;)
Well I made chicken marsala for the very 1st time tonight. Hubby was practically licking his plate and told me about 5 times how delicious it was. I used about 1/3rd of the bottle. I'm guessing I'll be using the rest of it before the end of the year.

I took a sip while cooking. It was just ok. I prefer it in a sauce. :cool:

It depends on what you plan to do with it. Fortified wines do indeed, deteriorate after opening, but very slowly. If you plan to use it only for cooking, it will be fine in the cabinet for a long while. The minor effect of oxidation over time will not show up in your dish.

But if you plan to drink the wine, pretty much anything other than a vintage port should be refrigerated.

And contrary to popular belief, none of them last indefinitely. Sherries, once opened, should be consumed within about a month. Others are similar, depending on the amount or residual sugar. Inexpensive wines that I only use for cooking, such as Marsala and Madeira I store in the fridge.

Silversage, LOL, remind me to never serve you any of my Sherry (at least a year old in the cupboard and replacing one that was probably 4 years old) Madera both sweet and dry (probably several years (x 3) also in the cupboard)
I almost only use them for cooking. Fortified wines do a number on my brain, but I will have a tiny slug while using them.

My sherry has been in the liquor cabinet for maybe 2 years. I always sip it before I use it to make sure it tastes good.

Just had it out a few days ago to fill up a gar of fresh peeled ginger.

I think it tastes even better now!

This has turned Into quite an interesting thread! Thank you all for your great information and perspectives!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom