"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Sometimes our cocktail is a glass of wine before dinner. We don't often share a bottle as SO is a white wine fan and I prefer red. We both like gin and tonic.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I agree. Plus, Suzy, consider this as well. Many many families simply don't sit down to dinner together any longer, especially during the week. If you are grabbing and running, how is there time for any type of socializing, pre-dinner or otherwise?
Yup. Very sad, IMO, and, I believe, the cause of more than one of our current social ills.

Of course, drinking before dinner was not necessarily a boon to family togetherness when alcohol was actually a problem for the person. Dinner hour could quickly become a nightmare in that case.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
Master Chef

My hubby only drinks on a rare occasion, so most of the time, my cocktail is enjoyed by myself while cooking. And then after dinner. It depends on the mood or meal that I am serving. I am not much on wine, tends to leave me with awful headaches.... so I usually go for a vodka tonic, bloody mary, or some other drink using Chamboard. Sometimes just an icy cold beer will do the trick, specially if I am fixing Mexican fare!

Sorry, no witty words of wisdom from me...
Old 08-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
SuzyQ: ....the pre-dinner cocktail tradition that seemed to typify a certain stratum of society for so many years.
Yes, that and smoking jackets. Somehow I also see a mink boa tossed lightly onto a chair.

Mr HB comes in and instead of putting on a smoking jacket and mixing martinis, he puts on sweat shorts and opens a beer.

I could never have a cocktail before dinner with kids. Drop them off, pick one up, drive home, go get the other one a take the little one to another activity...back and forth all the time.

Now, many times I have a glass of wine while cooking but usually don't have anymore unless it is on the weekend.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Tonight, i will invite neighbor (who is a girl!! ) over to dinner, but before dinner we will share bottle of gin (either mixed tonic, or martini) so she will think of me more sophistecated and of classy scene.

now only i have to get my sister out of house for tonight, she will not make a good impression (my sister)
Old 08-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatko
Tonight, i will invite neighbor (who is a girl!! ) over to dinner, but before dinner we will share bottle of gin (either mixed tonic, or martini) so she will think of me more sophistecated and of classy scene.

now only i have to get my sister out of house for tonight, she will not make a good impression (my sister)
Let us know how things go after sharing a bottle of gin! It sounds from your language that english is not your first language. Normally, people share a bottle of wine...sharing a bottle of gin would more or less end the evening with both of you comatose.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Zlatko - after sharing a bottle of gin you might not have any disease, but someone is liable to feel really sick in the AM.

It depends on the evening. Sometimes DH just opts for a couple of beers, sometimes we'll have a martini or a gin & tonic. Usually he sticks to beer and I stick to bourbon before dinner. He and I both love red wine - but it gives me nuclear meltdowns so I try to stick to white wine unless it's a special occasion or a really special red.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Zlatko, hopefully your bottle of gin is a small one. Serve your drinks in nice glasses, take care to set the table nicely for you and your lady friend!

My mom and dad used to have cocktails before dinner sometimes. It always seemed very grown-up to me. They had a frosted glass bottle with etchings in the frosted part (of martini glasses?) and it had a silver screw on lid. They'd make their drinks in there, and shake it and pour out into lovely glasses. Me, I love to have a glass of white wine while I'm cooking, and all the better if there's someone in my kitchen sitting with me to share it with.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj

My mom and dad used to have cocktails before dinner sometimes. It always seemed very grown-up to me. They had a frosted glass bottle with etchings in the frosted part (of martini glasses?) and it had a silver screw on lid. They'd make their drinks in there, and shake it and pour out into lovely glasses. Me, I love to have a glass of white wine while I'm cooking, and all the better if there's someone in my kitchen sitting with me to share it with.
Sandy, I couldn't agree more! I love when my boyfriend is in the kitchen with me, enjoying his cocktail as well! It makes for a much more enjoyable evening, I say.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
Cook

Quite often when I get dinner to the "everything's simmering and under control" stage of making dinner, I get out my stirrer and make myself (and the gf, if she likes) a nice cold martini or Manhattan... There's nothing like a proper cocktail at the end of the day.

If I had my way, after work, I'd like to put my slippers and sit in a big "comfy chair" while I sipped it. And then dinner would be ready. But I think you only get to pull that move if you're the only one who has to go to work!

And as it is, I enjoy cooking anyway so I do most of it...

But SHE does the dishes!

edit: Ha- I just realized this thread is as old as the hills!