Homemade Liqueurs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Highly educated cook

Assistant Cook
Anyone out there make their own liqueurs? My dad used to back in the 70's. I got inspired several months ago when I had a ton of fresh mint.
Infused it in high quality vodka ( Grey Goose) for a week then added sugar water ( to taste, not too sweet) and let it age for over a month.
I confess I added a little green food coloring for appeal.
It turned out SPECTACULAR. My husband tried it this week and loved it.

Now, I am trying chocolate liqueur , maybe coffee and probably mango since i have fresh mangoes.

Any one?:chef:

It seems like I made some coffee flavored liqueur years ago and recently vanilla, using vanilla beans. Both turned out very nice but we are geared more to wine since I'm looking out over a vineyard. I can grab a jug of Kalua at Costco and get on with the grape growing. It can be a fun project, keep at it.

Wild raspberry liqueur is to die for. Haven't made it for years. Fill a jar (I use a gallon sun tea jar) with unwashed berries, throw in 1 lb.superfine sugar, pour vodka over all so it covers, then let it sit for 6 -9 weeks. Then strain and jar or bottle.

Last edited:
Years ago we did cranberry using a method similar to Dawgluver's wild raspberry.

It was good, not great.

We also did a Bailey's Irish Cream knock off that was ok.

We found it was cheaper and better quality to buy premium liqueurs than it was to make our own.

The only thing I still do is vanilla extract made with a quart of light rum or bourbon and a few vanilla beans slit lengthwise.

It might be fun to get a group of friends to each tackle a different variety and then have a tasting party at Christmas or New Years.

If you all knew of how interesting DA becomes when she is having her beers once per the week you would understand why I may have to stay away from making these.
But one day I might do well to try this.
~Cat

If you all knew of how interesting DA becomes when she is having her beers once per the week you would understand why I may have to stay away from making these.
But one day I might do well to try this.
~Cat

This made me giggle, Cat! Your DA is quite the character, in the best of ways!

I've thought of trying blueberry liqueur. We had a nice crop this year but we ate them all. Hopefully next year will be similar.

I've thought of trying blueberry liqueur. We had a nice crop this year but we ate them all. Hopefully next year will be similar.

She is quite the interesting one!

Tonight is the beer night on the Sundays. Now I'm hearing of the time I turned the water off to our house when I was five years old. I only just wanted to try the tool to see if it was within the working order.
It was. My father was in the shower when I discovered that the tool worked very well indeed.

~Cat

I've made the usual, Raspberry infused vodka & Lemencello but they're both way too sweet for me anymore. I always have some vanilla beans brewing.

Nothing will ever replace my beloved dirty vodka martini, but I like experimenting. Since I'm such a huge fan of a Bloody Mary with our Sunday brunches my next project will be infusing some vodka for those. I'm still in the "research" stage since I'm not sure what flavor profile I want (bacon? peppers for heat? spices for flavor?) I just don't like the flavored vodkas they sell everywhere since I can't get past the chemical aftertaste they have ~ I have done a lot taste testing to reach that conclusion! ;)

I've made habanero, thai chili and jalapeno vodkas before. The habanero has been sitting in the cooler for four years. The peppers are still in it. They're white now and the vodka will tear your face off. My lips hurt for an hour after I tried it last. It's really good as an addition to a Bloody Mary, though. Just an eyedropper full will spice one up quite nicely.

When I was moving house I found a 6 pint jar of blackberries in brandy which I laid down to make liqueur about 3 years ago & forgot about. Haven't got round to bottling it yet but it smells divine.

I make Cassis when the blackcurrant crop is good. Delicious on a hot summer's evening mixed with still white wine as Kir or, if you are feeling flush with cash, mixed with champagne as Kir Royale.

Oh, and sloe gin, of course.

When I was working in Puerto Rico they made a coconut liquer in a strange way. They took a mature coconut, drilled a hole in it, poured out the milk and filled it with Moonshine. Put a stopper in it and set it on a self for about a year. It is amazing. In the south we make "peach Brandy". Take a bucket, peel the peaches and remove the pits, pour moonshine over it and put a lid on it. About a year later it is awesome.

My mom used to make a coffee liquor with instant coffee and cheap vodka :LOL: It was mostly for our very elderly neighbor, that loved her Ka-loo-lah as she called it. When we did her grocery shopping there would always be a bottle of Wild Irish Rose wine on the list.

I love the idea making liquors, but I don't drink enough to really bother. You'd think that I was running a bar with as much booze we have in this house. We had it when we had friends that enjoyed a drink when they visited, but they moved away.

Now I go to the liquor store for vodka to make vanilla extract. I may try rum next time, because I really like the flavor profile of dark rum and I bet it would make a great vanilla extract!

I love making liqueurs. I have only done berry/fruit so far and am actually looking for a recipe for spiced brandy. Something to add to hot apple cider.

After sampling, I pretty much give all mine away.

Back
Top Bottom