Mandarin Hefeweizen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Bert_Grant_s_Mandarin_Hefeweizen-resized200.gif

Bert Grant's Mandarin Hefeweizen

I just got some of this at Trader Joe's yesterday and I must
say it is fantastic! It's beer with an orange taste.
Price point was really good - around 5 bucks for a 6-pack, I think. Just thought I'd pass this on:chef:

Thanks jkath!

I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. My wife LOVES hefeweisen.

The funny thing is, as you describe it, it would have the purists howling! A hefeweisen is a german (mostly bavarian) wheat beer (weizen) with yeast (mit-hefe), hence the hefeweisen name. The traditional flavors in a hefeweisen range from bananna and clove to hints of bubblegum, usually with a slight tartness from the amount of wheat used. It's commonly served with a lemon slice, or sometimes an orange (which is why this beer doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me). The purists HATE the fruit being served with a the beer. Don't bother me none, though.... :cool:

John

Well, MI isn't on the list of states on the website - but I'll check with the people at the beer store. They know some people who know some people, if you know what I mean...:cool:

This is where we usually grab a lot of our beers...
http://www.merchantsfinewine.com/

John

I will have to check my local Trader Joes for this. I have tried some of their other beers and for the price I have been very happy with them

ronjohn I have a question for you that I have wondered about for a while now. What is the proper pronunciation of hefeweisen? Is it weez or wise?

Last edited:
Hi GB!

Let' see if I can spell it out phoenetically here.

It would be Hay-fah-vize-en, or some reasonable facsimle thereof... (although some people also pronounce it Hef-fah-vize-en) (Either one works fine)

John

GB said:
Thanks man! Now I don't have to sound uninformed when I order it at a bar :cool:

Glad to be able to help! The REALLY fun one is Hoegarden. If you check the six pack holder, it'll show you that it's actually pronounced Who-garden. So whenever I go to the bar I make a point to order it like that, only to be asked You mean Ho-garden? :ROFLMAO:

Then I get to inform the bar staff that yes, I AM a beer snob...:mrgreen:

John

Hi jkath,

Yes, I meant Grant's. Michigan still runs on the common prohibition era three-tiered distribution system for beer - which means that regardless of if you're Sam's Club, or Sam's Corner Market, you have to buy all of your beer from a local distributor. If none of them have it, then you can't get it.

But, like I said, I know some people who know some people, so if I REALLY want to get a six pack of it, well, there's a way or two....:rolleyes:

John

jkath said:
you know me, too.
Can beer be sent via UPS?
lemme know if you need a care package.

Well thank You!!

However, shipping beer (alcohol in general) into Michigan is technically illegal, pending a Supreme Court case later this year involving direct wine shipments.

UPS and Fedex both have policies against shipping alcohol as well, although I know for a fact that an awful lot of beer gets shipped around the country for homebrewing competitions. It's all in how you label it.

I'll get some scared up locally. Or I'll just make some. :mrgreen:

John

Erik said:
I really need to find this brew!!!
yes you do!

I think you and ronjohn need to take a road trip to somewhere outside MI so you can get your hands on the good stuff.

(although, I'm really bummed - was hoping to send the goods out to MI)

Back
Top Bottom