"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Old 10-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by JRsTXDeb
Originally Posted by merstarr
For white, I use mostly Sauvignon Blanc, occasionally Chardonnay.
For red, I use mostly Pinot Noir, occasionally Merlot.
I'm so glad you mentioned using Merlot to cook - it's my current favorite wine and I wasn't sure...but used it in a beef stew/dumpling recipe yesterday - it was so good - started out as Rachel Rays recipe, ended up completely mine!!! which is how most recipes end up at my house!
Sounds great! Makes me wish I ate red meat again! Now I eat mostly vegetarian, with some fish and occasionally chicken. I find Pinot Noir the most versatile - it goes well with everything from pasta to chicken to whatever, plus it's delicious on its own (I like Kendall Jackson). I used to drink Merlot whenever I ate red meat - I loved it with steak!

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.
merstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #12
Head Chef
Agree that one should use a decent wine for cooking. If you can drink it, it is probably OK.

But there are both sweet and dry sherries and both can be used in cooking. But not interchangeably. Sweet sherries, like cream sherries, are very pleasant as an after dinner drink and can be used in a number of recipes. But don't substitute it for dry sherry, that is often used as a before dinner drink, and can give a nice flavor to a number of sauces and dishes, including soups.

When in doubt, take a wee taste (or more) of the wine/sherry you are adding to the pot. If it doesn't seem right, don't add it.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote