Substitutes for sweet sherry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristy

Assistant Cook
Hi All!

I am going to attempt to make a seafood soup today and the recipe has asked for sweet sherry. I don't particularly want to have to buy a bottle of sherry just for a couple of tablespoons. Is there an alternative I can use?

Welcoem Kristy! Most of our members are not on here right now, but, someone will get to your post real soon.

9.gif

You could substitute white wine. Sherry is a fortified wine which means it'll keep for quite a while. It's a good thing to have on hand. DO NOT use cooking sherry, it contains salt and is simply nasty!!!

Sherry is made from a blend of old (oxidized) white wine from several years that is then blended and fermented. While it may contane a slight "hint" of vanilla or "floral citrus" - it doesn't taste anything like either vanilla or orange/pineapple juice in the substitution that texasgirl found for you. (and I'm not picking on texasgirl in any way ... she was kind enough to go out and look for a substitution for you ....) HanArt had a good idea, while white wine would be "closer" - it's not going to have the depth of flavor or character of Sherry - do DO stay away from anything labeled "Cooking Sherry" - it's crappy stuff that is undrinkable to begin with and has had so much salt added to it that it's even more undrinkable.

This is kind of a classic way to finish off some soups. You would be better off skipping it than to mess up your soup with substitutions.

No offense taken, Michael. I really don't know anything about cooking with sherry, so I don't know what the taste is. I figured one of you "real" cooks would come on here and tell her what is best. :-p :)

Japanese rice wine is an accepted replacement for sherry in recipes I've tried.

BUt, as I like sherry (but preferably a bone dry one like Tio Pepe or a really good Fino) I've always got some in the house.

Back
Top Bottom