"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What drinks should I get for my bar?

Hey guys, I just finish construction on my mini bar at home. I however am not a drinker so I need some advice on what quality drinks to get. Also what are some nice drinks for my office?

Cheers,
Kevin.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC, Kevin.

If you built a mini bar and you're not a drinker, I'd recommend stocking the bar with the stuff your guests are likely to drink.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. Rally up to the bar boys! (Hic!) I assume this bar is for adults only. Otherwise I would suggest Kool Aid!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What drinks should I get for my bar?

Welcome to DC! Vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey, gin, tequila, triple sec, sweet and dry vermouth for basic liquor. Coke, lemon lime soda, orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, seltzer, tonic, lime juice and simple syrup for mixers. Lemon and lime slices, maraschino cherries, olives for garnish. Beer and ice. Red and white wine. A variety of glasses.

This will make everything from Cosmos to margaritas, along with many basic cocktails. Lots of ice, a cocktail shaker and a strainer.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Sous Chef

If you don't drink but realize friends do so you built a bar for them to enjoy, ask those guy what they want you to stock. Otherwise, just have some wine, maybe some beer, and sodas available to start and then keep track of what people are ordering. It never has occurred to me to stock our bar with what others like. We usually announce "Here's what we have, what would you like?"
Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Nice drinks for your office? Coffee, espresso, cappuccino, milk, half & half, and agave nectar
Old 06-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Picasso View Post
Hey guys, I just finish construction on my mini bar at home. I however am not a drinker so I need some advice on what quality drinks to get. Also what are some nice drinks for my office?

Cheers,
Kevin.
If I was invited I'd like Bombay Sapphire gin and any tonic water that doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it (If I'm drinking gin and quinine I don't think the sugar in the tonic is going to make matters much worse )

Not sure if sherry is very popular in America but (based on my taste again) a good chilled fino (very dry sherry) is good and you could have a "sweet" or cream sherry (for the grannies and aunties). Spanish from Xerez, of course, some of the "sherry-type" wines are very vile! The sweet sherries keep better than the finos but shouldn't be allowed to become museum pieces.

Scotch whisky (blended or single malt), Irish whiskey, Bourbon and or rye?

Cognac (for drinking neat) or ordinary brandy to have with mixers

Tequila seems to be popular with the younger generation as do some weird bottled mixtures involving vodka.

Some people just like beer so you could have a small selection of interesting beers - perhaps micro-brewery types.

And don't forget the non-alcoholic choices for the designated drivers and the "mixers" for the spirit drinkers. Not just the excessively sweet fizzy stuff like coke and pepsi - fruit juices, fizzy and still mineral waters, etc. and mixers such as ginger ale, bitter lemon, plain soda water/club soda

Hope that helps and when's the Party?

As for the Office drinks - nothing alcoholic. Coffee, tea, possibly hot chocolate. Soft drinks, water.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
If you don't drink but realize friends do so you built a bar for them to enjoy, ask those guy what they want you to stock. Otherwise, just have some wine, maybe some beer, and sodas available to start and then keep track of what people are ordering. It never has occurred to me to stock our bar with what others like. We usually announce "Here's what we have, what would you like?"
When expense is a consideration you could just offer red and white wine and soft drinks.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
When expense is a consideration you could just offer red and white wine and soft drinks.

And beer.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for reply, really appreciate it! However this bar isn't really for friends, more for business guests. So what brand vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey, gin, tequila do you guys suggest?

Tags
drink