"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
Yep - that's exactly what I do - buy the box-o-wine for cooking. Works great for me. I'm not laughin' at ya but maybe everyone else is laughing at us. It's nice not to be alone, hunh?!
Ph poo guys,
I use a pinot or some of the wines mentioned IF I have it, if not I use what's on hand..If you like the boxed wine, heck use it no need to feel that you can't or shouldn't..I'm for what you like versus what is supposed to be correct anyway..So you see you are not ALONE

kadesma

Old 03-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #12
Contest Winner

For desserts or sweet dishes I will use a Riesling.. For all other sauces/dishes that require white wine I will usually use a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc. I will only use a wine for cooking if i like the taste and like to drink it. If I dont want to drink it then I dont want it in my food!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
IC, one thing I'm learning is that I like the Italian wines.
Yeah, one great thing about Italian wines is that they are very food friendly, both in terms of cooking and drinkability.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
Yep - that's exactly what I do - buy the box-o-wine for cooking. Works great for me. I'm not laughin' at ya but maybe everyone else is laughing at us. It's nice not to be alone, hunh?!

very very
good! Thank you!!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Paul and I don't drink a lot of wine... hardly any. So, I buy (don't laugh!!) wine in a box to use for cooking. It lasts forever and seems to be ok taste wise.
Yeah.....wine kinda sucks as a drink in my opinion, but I'm a big fat beer swilling guy, so..........

Yeah, I just wondered if you had to use high quality stuff. I'm glad you don't!

Ya know, this chick I used to live with a long long time ago liked to cook and she made a chicken breast cooked in a Chinese plum wine and it was freaking killer!!!!!!!! I'm gonna have to hunt me down some of that stuff!

sydfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
Master Chef

I usually use what I'm planning to serve with the meal (needless to say, I don't drink expensive wines; if I did, I'd probably buy a less expensive version of the same wine). I always recommend to my non-drinking friends to keep a fortified wine on hand -- dry vermouth for white; sweet vermouth, Madiera, Marsala, Port or Sherry for red (they will be sweeter than a regular red wine, but most people like that, especiallly in a mushroom sauce). They have a long shelf life and are very easy to work with. Very "forgiving" and less acidic than regular wines can be.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I am another one who uses boxed wines for cooking. When I started doing that I only know of two wines that you could get in a box. Now more and more wines are being boxed. There are some reall good ones that you can get now.

Kitchenelf I bet our setup is close to the same. I have my box o wine in a cabinet up high with a stuck of dixie cups next to it. The dixie cups are a half cup each. When i need a little wine for a dish I just pull out a cup and open the box of wine without removing it from cabinet. I can open the spout and hold the dixie cup under it or if I need a more then just a little bit I can hold the pot under it. The wine lasts forever which is a huge plus too.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #18
Master Chef

What wine I use totally depends on the dish (recipe) I am preparing - but I never buy expensive bottles of wine for cooking.

Now, about the "Box-O-Wine" .... yep, I use them, too, for the most part when I need a basic dry red or white. Why? Because they last forever! The wine is in an air-tight bag, so it doesn't oxidize and go sour (vinegar) like a bottle will - you uncork the bottle, pour some out, air gets in, etc.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I cook with wine alot it's great stuff.I especially like cooking with Spanish Sherries.WOW! What a difference.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #20
Master Chef

I like to use dry, crisp unoaked wines like Pinot Grigio, Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, White Burgandy, etc. I cook with a 750ml. bottle I buy at the Stop and Shop for $10.

California Chards are way too oaky for me -- that leaves a lasting taste in the food that I don't care for. I don't like drinking them much either. But if you do -- by all means cook with them.