What's your favourite cocktail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corazon90 said:
I like anything where kahlua is involved.
Bailey's
Grasshoppers
Mojitos

I like the sweet stuff.

Corazon, here's one for you with Kahlua. It tastes like thin mint Girl Scout Cookies.

Girl Scout Cookie

1/2oz kahlua
3/4oz pepermint schnapps(I use Ice 101)
3oz milk

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into glass, & enjoy.

Tanquery and tonic with lime in the Summer

Crown Royal on the rocks in the Winter

Sam Adams Winter Lager or Boston Lager when I feel like a beer

I stick to drinks I can see through.

My favorite is a simple but strong Margarita on the rocks, made with real ingredients and not that bottled mix that just never tastes right to me.

I used to love a tall vodka tonic with lime.

For brunch on special occasions, a spicy Bloody Mary or a Mimosa, depending upon the season.

Absolulely only two:
Margarita (I love salt with tequila)
and.....
" MY" Martini, extra dry, shaked, not mixed. Martini dry on the rocks in the shaker, shake it, throw away Martini, add Gin, Shake just a bit again, put in the glass. Take the skin of a lemon, and squeeze it on the border of glass.
Add a little "onion", (not "olive").

Vodka

I would have to say anything with a good vodka, but my favorite would
be vodka and apple juice. Very nice drink does not have the acid from
orange juice or the tomatoe juice.

How about a Tumble weed has anyone ever heard of this after diner drink.

Emeril made sorta one the other day basically it is a ice cream black russian
but he left out the brandy. I do not have desert much but tumble weeds
are out of this world

buckytom

buckytom said:
been working on a marinade for pork chops that includes gosling's (and sweet sherry, bay, and garlic).

That sounds wonderful. I hate to waste any goslings...I find myself buying a bottle every three weeks. Please please let me know how the marinade works out. I may have to share some of my precious rum with a piece of flesh.

VeraBlue said:
That sounds wonderful. I hate to waste any goslings...I find myself buying a bottle every three weeks. Please please let me know how the marinade works out. I may have to share some of my precious rum with a piece of flesh.

so far my attempts have failed. finding the original recipe has become kind of a soap opera.

the story begins with a young, early 20's guy named buckytom, working a ridiculous number of hours in the tv biz, having been forced to eat in local restaurants to stay alive.
an amazing and eclectic place on the southwest corner of 57th and 10th became a weekly home, named jimmy armstrong's saloon. the said owner was an incredible guy, who, if not for a penchant for fine tequilas, woulda been a ringer for macy's santa clause. the white hair, piercing eyes, matching beard, jellly belly. the whole package.
but to our fortune, he opened a small restaurant on 9th ave. after a storied life as a merchant seaman and cook, eventually to move to the corner across the street from my job on 10th ave.
he had many great, mostly carribbean, central, and south american inspired dishes, but his marinated pork chops could move you to tears.
now, the soap opera comes into play as no one except jimmy and the executive chef knew the exact recipe for the marinade. jimmy, on a few tequila inspired occasions in the afternoon reflection of the setting sun, queued me in to the basic ingredients, but not the amounts, or specific add ons. i never thought then that he'd be gone someday, and i shoulda paid attention.
well, after his passing, on the last night of the restaurant as it had been sold, myself and a few other regular patrons offered the now retiring chef a few hundred bucks as a retirement gift for the recipe. he refused, keeping his loyalty intact to his former boss.
ok, it doesn't end there. i dated the bartender, a beautiful brazillian girl, back in the mid-90's, who on countless times assisted the chef upon making the marinade as it contained specific amounts of gosling's black seal rum, and a run of the mill, from the well sweet sherry.
now, i've been a married guy and dad for a few years, so i can say it's been a tricky proposition to get in touch with an ex that still makes you crazy, even if just for a recipe. so, i sacrificed a great chop for my marriage.:(
i thought it ended there.

to really make it a sopa opera, i recently found out that she's living with a co-worker/drinkin buddy, and will be around the job, and is looking to get back to bartending in the area.

so the recipe still may have life...

Favorite cocktail (of the moment)

Cipirinha. It's tart and lovely on a hot day but BE CAREFUL, they are potent! I've currently got the scooba running in the kitchen to clean up the mess from a Cipirinha fest I had last night.

They're easy to make but will make your floor sticky. Presuming some of them end up there.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1 lime[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2 ounces of cachaça[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sugar to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Ice cubes[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Wash the lime and roll it to loosen the juices. Cut the lime into pieces and place them in a glass. Sprinkle with the sugar and crush the pieces (pulp side up) with a pestle. Just enough to release the juice, otherwise it'll get bitter. Add the cachaça and stir to mix. Add the ice and stir again.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]

Buckytom

Wanna tag team her? I'll be happy to hunt her down and corner her...

Give me the list of ingredients, if you care to. Perhaps I can come up with something over here.

My all time favorite is Gin and tonic with lime,I also love mojitos and grapefruit juice and vodka. I just read somewhere that tonic water keeps mosquitoes away-I will have to give it a try sometime this summer and get back to you with the results! Another one of my favorites though not a cocktail is 43-reminds me of my grandfather who passed away in 2000-if I drink enough of it I swear he visits!!!

jkath said:
Editor's note: Cachaca is a Brazilian cane sugar liquor that supposedly can be approximated by mixing equal parts silver tequila and light rum if not available.
I actually use Cachaca in my mojitos instead of rum. I find it a much better fit.

Legend has it that tonic water was a British invention to help with malaria problems in the (then) colonies like India and Africa. It contained quinine in quite a high dosage in times gone by, but I think it has either had it removed or very much reduced in modern times! :)

The tonic water I get still has quinine.

I have heard the same thing about the creation of tonic water Ishbel.

*Japanese slipper - midori, cointreau and lemon juice (or lime)
*Cosmopolitan
*Lychee Champagne Cocktail - it had lychee liquer then topped with champagne and a dash of rose water
*Singapore Sling
*Strawberry margarita

Gosh I sound like an alcoholic! Hic!

bucky, the soap must go on.
Verablue, hunt her down.

PS - had my lemonade w/vanilla vodka last night. So tasty, but dang was it hard waking up this morning!

My #1 favorite is a French 75, in a quart jar.:rolleyes:

Buzz kill - I heard some bad news about my other favorites just today:

Large margarita = 600 cal = 4 sugar donuts
Pina colada = 980 cal = 6 battered chicken wings. fried
Apple martini = 344 cal = 1 pc of German Chocolate cake

and my standby summer beverage:

Long Island Iced Tea = 1043 cal = a large platter of onion rings

I heard this on TV so I can't swear to the accuracy of the 'buzz kill' info.

Last edited:
Mojitos.... yum

Spicy bloody mary every now and then.

Imperial Nectar with a shot of Chamboard and a sprig of mint is my absolute fav!!!!

Old time favorite.... red beer.

Back
Top Bottom