"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #291
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
Green bottles to me typically mean skunky beer.
Oooh no! Have you had a St Paulies??? Green bottle, no skunky taste. I promise. Same with Rolling Rocks. No skunk that I've noticed. XX...no skunk. Heinies, heavens no, no skunk.

Have ya tried a Mickeys? Yum.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #292
Sous Chef

I have to post in this historic thread again. St Paulie Dark or Regular beer is another of my favs.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #293
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer75 View Post
Oooh no! Have you had a St Paulies??? Green bottle, no skunky taste. I promise. Same with Rolling Rocks. No skunk that I've noticed. XX...no skunk. Heinies, heavens no, no skunk.

Have ya tried a Mickeys? Yum.
Ugh. Skunk, skunk, skunk and skunk. Take a big whiff. Even my beloved Yuengling Lager is a smidge skunky.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #294
Senior Cook

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #295
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7887 View Post
I have to post in this historic thread again. St Paulie Dark or Regular beer is another of my favs.
Whut did you sayie????
Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #296
Sous Chef

As with wine beer buying here is PA is strangely limited... we have lots of distributors where you have to buy a case.. this makes it hard to try new beers and some fancy beer while good I dont want a whole case of.

Otherwise beer can be bought "to-go" from a bar. Selection is usually pretty limited and prices can be high.... the best choice at my corner bar is High-Life

In spite of this we have alot of good breweries around. I am partial to Phildadelphia Brewing Company because its down the street and the owners do alot for the hood. Also the beer is quite tasty. We have alot of gastro-pubs with excellent taps.

I really like the Slyfox and Troegs products as well. I am not a fan of Yards.

In Philly Yuengling is sort of the default... orderd simply as "lager"

I will not drink Rolling Rock anymore since it is not brewed in Latrobe any longer.

I really really miss Shiner Bock... sadly unavailable here.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #297
Assistant Cook

Might as well chime in..

When out at the pool hall for hours, I'll do two pitchers of Coors Light. I'll put two salt packets in the first pint out of the pitcher, and add a salt packet every time I refill.

When hanging out with friends, I'll either drink whatever is available, or get a 'make your own six pack' from the grocery store, which usually contains 6 different ones, and I try to get ones I've never had before.

When at a good bar, with a wide selection, I usually go for darker German flavors. I used to get one from my favorite place that was called a 'hacker' (The real name was hachersomethingorother).

Picking a favorite comes down to situation. Hanging out for hours with friends, I go for something light on the pallet. With good red-meat food, I prefer darker and full bodied. For casual drinking when I don't feel like participating in mixed drinks (usually when I'm designated driver), I'll go for a few 'fruity' types (they are like beer, but with either fruit in the brew, or juice or something). Regarding drinking as designated driver, my limit as designated is 1 bottle or pint per hour.

Whenever drinking a not-fruity brew, I usually add a dash of salt to each serving, unless I'm consuming with something salty being eaten.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #298
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWishbringer View Post
I'll put two salt packets in the first pint out of the pitcher, and add a salt packet every time I refill.
My initial question to this was why, but then I answered that myself. Obviously it is because it tastes better that way to you. My question then changed to why 2 in the first, but 1 for the refills?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #299
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My initial question to this was why, but then I answered that myself. Obviously it is because it tastes better that way to you. My question then changed to why 2 in the first, but 1 for the refills?
Same reason people add salt and lime to a Corona 12 oz. It's common among hispanic/latino beer drinkers. I like it. It does good things to beers. Some beers.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #300
Chief Eating Officer

I have seen lime added, but never salt. Regardless, I do not think you read my question jennifer75. I realized it was simply for taste. My question was why does he put two packets of salt in the first drink, but one in every one after that? If it was for taste, as I am sure it is, then why would subsequent drinks require less salt than the first? You would think each would require the same amount.