Who Likes Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$8 for a 6 of Red Stripe??? WOW!!! We used to get then for $.25 a bottle (Ino joke) at our local bar.

If I am not mistaken, Red Strip is the one that has the indent on the bottom of the bottle. You can use one bottle to open another. Just a bottle on top of the bottle you want to open. The bottle cap will fit perfectly in the indent. Then twist.

GB said:
$8 for a 6 of Red Stripe??? WOW!!! We used to get then for $.25 a bottle (Ino joke) at our local bar.

If I am not mistaken, Red Strip is the one that has the indent on the bottom of the bottle. You can use one bottle to open another. Just a bottle on top of the bottle you want to open. The bottle cap will fit perfectly in the indent. Then twist.

The Jamaican Red Stripe? Amazing! I didn't know the thing about the bottom of the bottle. I'm gonna have to conduct an $8 investigation soon........

On our honeymoon in Jamaica, that is the only beer they served. I think it is a pretty low end beer, but it is probably my favorite low end beer. I have no problem at all in knocking those back. They have a pretty good taste for a mass produced product.

Last edited:
Gosh. I hope there's an Irish DC member to put in a good word for Guinness. I've had glasses of Guinness that have been sublime, and that's outside Ireland, where it's said to taste even better.

I like many kinds of beer, but Guinness is in a class by itself. It's great enough here in the US, but in Ireland . . .

I tend towards the dark side (in beer preferences, of course). To quote a good friend and fellow beer lover, "Never trust a beer you can see through!"

Uncle Bob said:
25 cents for a bottle of Red Stripe WoW O Wee! What year was that GB :LOL:
Well to be perfectly honest, this was back in the late 90's I think. The Uno's that we used to go to. They were having a big push at the bar. That summer they were going to have 100 different beers on stock. They had to make room for all those beers and since Red Strip was not going to be one they stocked anymore they were trying to get rid of it. My buddy and I were friends with the waitress (that did not get us a break on the price though) and she told us he and I were the only ones who drank the stuff. They probably would have given it to us for a nickel if we asked :LOL:

Thanks GB... and UB.... I will look for the Guiness and the chatter about Red Stripe has peaked my interest as well!!!

Some beer is okay. Some tastes like bottled. . . uh, urine. Lol. But I recently tried a chili recipe that called for a bottle of dark beer. It came out so good! It was also made with real steak cut into small cubes, not ground beef. Yummmmmm.

GB said:

Just checked the leftover Red Stripe bottle from yesterday. Nope. No indent. :( As a matter of fact, no twist-off either.

GB said:
That is easy Sattie. Guinness Extra Stout.

I wouldn't call Guinness *zesty,* though. When I think something "zesty" I think something like Stone's Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard or Ruination. Guinness isn't zesty so much as it is thick and smooth.

True I guess Guiness does not hit the zesty mark, but it sure does hit the full bodied one as well as something that will keep you interested. Hey 2 out of 3 aint bad ;)

Hmm I wonder which beer I am thinking of with the indent on the bottom. Everyone will just have to look at the bottom of every bottle they get until we find it :LOL:

Just a FYI...Red Stripe is $7.89/6 at a local establishment near me. For a case of this stuff I can buy a nice bourbon...Much better value for my money I garontee

phinz said:
I wouldn't call Guinness *zesty,* though. When I think something "zesty" I think something like Stone's Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard or Ruination. Guinness isn't zesty so much as it is thick and smooth.

Ohhhhh... I like the names!!! LOL!!! Thanks for the choices!!! I will have to see if I can find them around here.

I do like a good beer. Usually a red ale or else something
on the darker side. Oregon has a lot of Microbrews also,
its fun trying different brands. I think the latest one I
tried was Drop Top, it was pretty good. Along with
Guinness, I also liked Smithwicks. Hot day, cold beer, uummm good!

phinz said:

:ohmy:

Phinz!!!! You wound me deeply my friend!! Guiness thick and smooth??? A horrible stereotype! By virtue of it's finishing gravity (Actually it's starting gravity as well) Guiness is one of the lighter beers on the market! (And also why it floats on the top of a black and tan)
I would describe it as roasty with just a slight hint of a tartness to it, but not thick. Agreed it is a very smooth beer.

Now a Bell's Expedition Stout, that's a quality motor oil! :)

John

ronjohn55 said:
I would describe it as roasty with just a slight hint of a tartness to it, but not thick.

Thick, as in coats the tongue like a winter overcoat. :rolleyes:

Not nearly as thick as Stone Russian Imperial Stout, which literally pours like motor oil. :chef:

phinz said:
Thick, as in coats the tongue like a winter overcoat. :rolleyes:

Not nearly as thick as Stone Russian Imperial Stout, which literally pours like motor oil. :chef:

Very well, carry on then. :mrgreen:

(I've yet to have a chance to sample the stone RIS, but I'm sure it's quite good).

John

Back
Top Bottom