"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 AM   #61
Senior Cook

I love beer when I'm in Quebec! I love every kind of Unibroue, from the palest to the darkest. I occasionally get a Sleeman or Cheval Blanc. Or if I can spend a little more, Chimay or Liefmans Kriek (actual cherry beer, nothing to do with the cherry flavored drinks we have here) which are from belgium. Since I moved to the united states though, I've pretty much stopped drinking. The beer here is just disgusting. Luckily they are starting to import some Fin du monde, although it's not really the best for hot weather.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #62
Head Chef

The problem is, you live in Florida. A *lot* of beers never make it to Florida because of their antiquated laws.

Then again, a lot of beers that I used to get in Florida I can't get now that I'm back in Tennessee. I kind of miss Kalik on a really hot, sultry day, and I really liked Mackesons XXX Stout. Key West Sunset Ale was much better when it was made on Stock Island. Now it's just an extension of Ybor City beer, made in Tampa.

Check out the ABC stores, if they've built one in the Keys since I left. They have a pretty good selection of beers. I picked up some good stuff there while I lived in Florida. There are a couple in Naples if you're ever up that way.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #63
Sous Chef

Not me. the only time I used to like the smell of it and would bug my DH to have a shandy so I can have a sip or two was when when I was expecting my son.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We like beer as an accompaniment to some food, especially pizza!! Unfortunately Italians don't do beers as well as they do wines, so we usually get the German product, we like the wheat based ones, (weizen bier) also there is one with lemon flavour, that is very light, almost like pop with just a slight touch of alcohol... we find it very tasty!!
When I was in England I also liked the rich flavour of ales, too.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #65
Executive Chef

When I was in Germany in 2000 there really wasn't a beer I didn't like I really liked the dark beers there a hint of sweet to them.Although Im not really a beer drinker I will drink coors gold,the warsteiner is good but there is a beer made in Texas called Ziegenbock I love that beer.
If I happen to get to a micro brewery then I usually go for an amber ale.
I like when you can get the flights of beer because then you get to try a little shot of each one.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #66
Senior Cook

Hi- I'm the new guy here, so let me let the cat out of the bag... I am a BEER LOVER, and proud to say I am an advanced homebrewer.

I started in 1990, when I lived in Florida, and found I could brew it better than I could buy it. FYI, at the time we owned a fine dining, casual gourmet restaurant, with a magnificent wine list... and I had access to the best wines at the restaurant prices... I still drank my own beer.

I brew almost all styles, but mostly Northwest style Pale Ales, Porters, Stouts, and all sorts of Lagers, from Dormunder Style, to my own version of Pilsner Urquell, and a fine Munich Lager.

Back in the days of the 60's I lived in Germany, and learned those styles from practical experience... I love beer....period.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #67
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni
Not me. the only time I used to like the smell of it and would bug my DH to have a shandy so I can have a sip or two was when when I was expecting my son.
Jikoni, Please explain the term "shandy"?

In the USA, they now make a big deal out of making pregnant women abstain completely from alcohol. Actually, our country is getting obsesive/compulsive about all kinds of health issues, basically because everyone is busy sueing everyone else.
That aside, in my humble, Mother Earth opinion, a small amount of beer is a good thing for pregnant women. It helps us sleep better, and helps keep our digestive functions regular in a healthy way.

After the baby comes, beer helps to make milk. My doctor with my youngest recommended 1-2 beers per day.
My youngest is now 33. Of course, none of the doctors around here would recommend that now, but let me tell you, she was a happy, contented baby who has turned out to be a very intelligent young woman.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #68
Chief Eating Officer

A lot of Dr's now actually do recommend a drink every once in a while. You certainly don't want to get drunk or make a habit of drinking while pregnant, but a glass of wine or a beer every once in a while is fine and sometimes even suggested.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 AM   #69
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Oh My...how did I ever NOT see this thread.....ok which of you decided NOT to send me the link?

mmm....bbbbbbEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

mmmmm.....oh I already said that....

Can someone send me a Coors Light please? I did say please you know....

mmmmm.......
Old 03-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #70
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
hehehehe Im # 69.....two...oh shoot nevermind.......