"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Wine tasting - Advice needed..

I have had the luck (and I mean LUCK) to be invited to an exclusive award winning invitation only wine tasting by the Terranova wine importers in Philly this weekend - I think I am in over my head - I want to go but feel I will be out of my league here - Anyone have experience at one of these??? I have been to a few wine tastings but nothing like this - There are wine experts from all over the world coming!! What should I do?? Anyone know of these wines? I went on line and it seems these wines range in price from a 500 to 10,000 each - I am at the 50 or less( usually less) level!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

Old 11-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Go, enjoy the wine and have the people explain the nuances of the tastes.
I looked them up--or at least something. Seems to be a wine distributor that likes to find good wines at good prices. Should be very interesting. Kevin Lynch is such a distributor in Berkeley. If you can find one of his labels in a wine shop you can just about be sure it will be a very nice bottle.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
It can be intimidating to go to a tasting where there are a lot of people you perceive to be more knowledgeable than you. I hope you will take advantage of the invitation and go, anyway. Someone thought you belong there, and sent you the invitation! I go to these when I get invited and listen like a hawk and try to learn all I can about the wines. One piece of advice I got years ago is "Spit!" Don't swallow any of it. That way you will be sure to be able to taste everything, and you will also be sure NOT to get tipsy.

Have a great time and be sure to come back and tell us all about it!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Gretchen...Chef June - Thanks for the great advice !!! You have given me the encouragement I needed - BTW - It is at one of Lamberti's restaurants - in one of the private wine cellars - Is a simple silk black dress appropriate??
Old 11-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It's just me but I'd say a simple black dress would be perfect! Yep, this is an opportunity you cannot pass up!!!!

They import Cavallo Wines in North Carolina - Paul Cavalo is a very good friend of mine and we have sat on my front porch and gone through - let's just say "a lot" of wine - quantity and quality If you ever run across Cavallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil BUY IT. It's the best I've ever had.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
It's just me but I'd say a simple black dress would be perfect! Yep, this is an opportunity you cannot pass up!!!!

They import Cavallo Wines in North Carolina - Paul Cavalo is a very good friend of mine and we have sat on my front porch and gone through - let's just say "a lot" of wine - quantity and quality If you ever run across Cavallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil BUY IT. It's the best I've ever had.
Who knows ..he may even be there - if he is I will ask for 2 bottles - one for you and one for me!!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Did you get my PM?

Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Yes - Thank -you - Thats how I knew abt the olive oil - Will really ask for some if the opprutunity arrises!!! PROMISE
Old 11-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

lol - I meant to post here about the olive oil too - I got confused! I have 1.32 gallons of it myself - you keep your two bottles!!!! Hey, if he's there tell him "Vicky sent you" - he'll describe me and then you can slap him.....

He'll be the short Sicilian guy (with the California accent since that's where he was born) - if he's not wearing a Hawaiian shirt I'll faint!!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
lol - I meant to post here about the olive oil too - I got confused! I have 1.32 gallons of it myself - you keep your two bottles!!!! Hey, if he's there tell him "Vicky sent you" - he'll describe me and then you can slap him.....
NO - he will probably just want to exchange our places - ROTF LMAO