Carbonated beverage preferences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carbonated Beberage Preferences

• Brand name plain carbonated water (seltzer/club soda/sparkling water)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Generic plain carbonated water

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Brand name flavored soft drink / pop

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Generic / store brand flavored soft drink

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A semi-carbonated (like Orangina)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pepsi Throwback, about once a month. Barq's Rootbeer, about once a month. Mostly coffee, tea and water.

I will drink maybe one can of cola in a week. My wife keeps it around, the Coke clone in the local grocery brand. I probably drink more Schweppes Bitter Lemon (basically, tonic with lemon essence) than cola. (With certain fortifiers.) Orangina is very good, but rather expensive here.
Orangina is pretty expensive, but its intense flavor lets me stretch it quite a bit by diluting it with seltzer.

Orangina is pretty expensive, but its intense flavor lets me stretch it quite a bit by diluting it with seltzer.
Is there a difference between club soda and seltzer? Aren't they both just carbonated water? I've been thinking of getting one of those seltzer thingees.

Is there a difference between club soda and seltzer? Aren't they both just carbonated water? I've been thinking of getting one of those seltzer thingees.
Many club sodas are likely to contain some salt additives. Canada Dry Seltzer is supposed to be free of sodium. My experience with home made carbonated water has been less than favorable; it has not been as bubbly and tastes somewhat flat. That's why I stick with Canada Dry, to which I sometimes add a little home made strawberry or other fruit syrup or some home made ice cream mix.

Last edited:
Many club sodas are likely to contain some salt additives. Canada Dry Seltzer is supposed to be free of sodium. My experience with home made carbonated water has been less than favorable; it has not been as bubbly and tastes somewhat flat. That's why I stick with Canada Dry, to which I sometimes add a little home made strawberry or other fruit syrup or some home made ice cream mix.
Thanks Bill. I guess I'll have to try any seltzer maker before I buy it or get one with a satisfaction guarantee. The ones in bars make perfectly acceptable club soda. I drank a lot of that when I was a bar tender. I'll watch out for the sodium.

Back in the 1980's at the Market Bar & Restaurant in the World Trade Center, our bar tender used to treat us by hocking a few bottles of Schweppes Quinine from the dining room bar; it tasted a lot better than the stuff that came out of the bar's gun. But everything seemed to taste better back then including, the lobster bisque our barkeep used spike with sherry.

Back in the 1980's at the Market Bar & Restaurant in the World Trade Center, our bar tender used to treat us by hocking a few bottles of Schweppes Quinine from the dining room bar; it tasted a lot better than the stuff that came out of the bar's gun. But everything seemed to taste better back then including, the lobster bisque our barkeep used spike with sherry.

A dash of conspiracy always enhances the flavor! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I love water, but it has to be non-carbonated. I like either spring water or our well water.

Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper is one of my favorite pops, along with diet A&W root beer, diet A&W cream soda, Cherry Coke Zero, and now and then diet Squirt.
Did I read Diet. Squirt??? I love Squirt and just found the diet typeI have to watch how much liquid I drink so I have one once a week. I love any water carbonated or not but yep have to watch how much. Nutz
kades

Anyone remember Clearly Canadian? Fruit flavored fizzy spring water. Nice glass bottle design. I used to buy it by the case at Costco years ago. I think they even had shares on the stock exchange. I don't see it anymore on shelves.

I try to stay away from carbonated (& caffeinated) beverages, & stick with Sprite Zero.

Also depends on what I'm drinking...

Seltzer for (NYC) Egg Creams

I used to enjoy Cream Soda (Dr. Brown's?) in NYC delis, with a pastrami sandwich. Not sure if they make it anymore. I miss Yoo-Hoos too.

Last edited:
I like that we can buy Mexican Coke at Latino markets and restaurants. It's made with Real Sugar instead of HFCS ( not that that's a terrific improvement). I drink way too much soda pop. About a 12 pack q/2weeks. And I don't find it's a thirst quencher.

I probably drink more Ice tea than anything. In summer a treat is lemonade or limeade frozen concentrate or home-made, mixed with carbonated water. I find it silly we pay the same price for bubbly water as soda pop.

Does anyone ever drink Moxie? I have not seen it available here. It might have been more widely distributed a long time ago, but is mostly a NE US soft drink now.

Moxie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buongiorno Bill,

Spumantes and Lambrusco come in 3 types in Italia : Dry Brut, Dry, Semi sweet ... I like Dry Brut ... the dryest. Cavas also come in three or four types ... as Champagne does.

Tonic water: A good Gin & Tonic can be refreshing ... or Rum & Tonic or Vodka and Tonic.

San Pellegrino sparkling water is my all time fave ... I have tried numerous lovely Sardinian ones too on this last trip over in May, in Sardinia, however, most are not exported.

Have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Pellegrino is second on my list. I still prefer Perrier. I prefer both with a touch of lemon.

Did I read Diet. Squirt??? I love Squirt and just found the diet typeI have to watch how much liquid I drink so I have one once a week. I love any water carbonated or not but yep have to watch how much. Nutz
kades

Could you freeze it and have a squirt ice cube now and then? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I like IBC's line of old fashioned bottled soft drinks, especially Black Cherry.

Attachments

• IBC.jpg
    IBC.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 82
I hate it when someone gives me tonic water when I ask for club soda. The usual reaction is, "What's the difference?" or "It's the same thing." No it's not. Tonic is far too sweet.

Put a little vodka in with the tonic water, and it's not too sweet. Squeeze of lemon or lime, as well.

Back
Top Bottom