"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 04-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I Bought Some!

I bought only two at safeway, for 50 cents a piece. I didn't try it because I don't like coke but my hubby tried it and said it tasted like you took a cup of coffee and took a sip and then took a bottle of coke and took a sip, like a 50/50 mix. He said it isn't that bad, he plans to buy one every now and then.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

MM that is such great news!!! Congrats!!!

Marishka thanks for that info. I wish I could find it for 50 cents. I would certainly give it a try then

Old 04-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
GB and Grumblebee - sorry for the confusion but I am not pregnant, I meant I haven't had caffeine since I found out I was pregnant in 2003! Whew - hope I didn't cause a rumor ! I get a caffeine high off of decaf now!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:00 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Ohhhhhhhh Well then I take my congrats back

Actually no, I am giving you the congrats again for quitting caffeine. I did that a while back as well so I know how hard it can be. I feel so much better now that I am (relatively) caffeine free. I actually find it so much easier to wake up in the morning believe it or not.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #15
Head Chef

My dad started carrying it at his store recently so we had to try it ... Like Marishka said, it tastes like a 50/50 mix. I didn't think it was too bad. A little sweet but overall, kind of good - interesting combo and interesting taste. The cola isn't real strong and the coffee isn't over powering. I would buy it again ... it might actually be good with some type of liquore as an after dinner drink. Some sort of version of a black russian perhaps?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I was worried about it being too sweet. Anytime they come out with these flavors that seems to be the case.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I think I am a purist. To me Coke Classic is IT! I like the stuff with lime occasionally too but other than that forget it. No vanilla, no cherry, no other stuff.
I'm with you, Alix. I don't drink much of the stuff anymore, but when I do, it's gotta be the old standby.

geebs, we have been trying to drink decaf here and it's killing me. Don't think I'm gonna be able to do it. I usually only have a couple of cups a day anyway (unlike some Canadians I know), so I'm not gonna feel bad about it.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

SO and I were out for a drive today and stopped at a rest area on the Mass pike. Went into the Tigermart for a cold drink and saw the Blak. I had to try it. $1.59 for the 8 oz. bottle.

It still had the crispness of classic coke with a taste of coffee. There was a background sweetness to it that I didn't find objectionable.

It's definitely worth a try.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 AM   #19
Head Chef

Am I ever cornfused (live in the toolies, so it is cornfused).

First of all never heard of Blak. But then again am a bit out of touch with modern trends (Is Ike still the president? And why did they ever take Ozzie and Harriet off the TV?).

But as a dutiful DCer Googled and found the Coke press release about the stuff.

They don't call it Blak, they call it, well, I cannot type it on my machine (am very computer illiterate).

They put a mark, I believe it is called a diacritical mark, a pronunciation thingy, that is sort of a hyphen over the 'a' in Blak (think it is called a macron, probably was half snoozing when they covered that in school, but it is a horizontal bar over the letter).

Normally I would think that would change the pronunciation to something like 'blake', making the 'a' pronounced long.

But except for that press release, and a picture of the bottle, no one else does, or can, puts the pronunciation mark over the 'a', if that is what it is.

So I thought, like Alix, it was pronounced BLAK, and very close Alix's BLECH.

Not a good association, I would think, for a new product.

The whole thing seems a bit too complicated and cute to me, by about a half.

Would love to know how the stuff is pronounced.

Are going away for the weekend and if we find a can will give it a go.

Sounds like a loser product, but heck, Coke has never made a serious marketing mistake, have they?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Coke has never made a serious marketing mistake, have they?
Actually they have. The New Coke marketing campaign was widely seen as one of (if not THE) biggest marketing fiascos ever.