Does Loose Leaf Tea Go Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
When I lived in Texas I used to buy a particular orange spice loose leaf tea from a cute little tea shop in Grapevine. While I was cleaning out my cabinets I found a little bag with just a little bit left. The good news is: now I have the name of the company and can order it online. I am wondering, though, is the tea in the bag still good - it is at least 10 years old! (okay, this is embarrassing!) It is in a plastic lined paper bag.

LOL :)

tea (like anything else) will oxidise in time, Sip-it-n-see :)
it won`t harm you, and if it was closed there shouldn`t be any pathogens there.

10 YEARS! ROFLOL :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would think it just would be pretty flavorless after that much time. I doubt it would hurt you, but it probably would not be worth the effort to brew it.

it May still work with Rice and brown Sugar in a smoker Wok though :)

or if you grow Roses or Blue Berries, sprinkle it around the soil there.

All things go bad with time.

But try it , what the heck?

What do you have to lose?

auntdot said:
All things go bad with time.

But try it , what the heck?

What do you have to lose?
This is kind of contradictory. Going bad usually means that it is dangerous to eat so if something has actually gone bad then you have a lot to lose usually.

It won't be dangerous, but will most likely be pretty flavorless. Looseleaf tea, as well as teabags (unless sealed in individual foil packets), lose fragrance, taste, & potency after time much the same way dried herbs do.

it Would actualy be Interesting to get a new batch and brew than next to the 10 year old one and actually Test this though, I know I certainly would, just to see exactly What the differences are.

it`s in my Nature, I can`t help it :P

I REALLY like the idea of the side-by-side taste test!!!!!!

In the big picture of kitchen cabinets, 10 years tucked in a corner ain't nuthin' :blush:

Right Elf..I read the other day if we have any spices in our cupboards in the tins..throw them out. Mc Cormick hasn't put them in the rectangular cans for 15 years.
I cleaned out quite a few..

Hello Michelemarie

I would just taste it.
If it tastes OK, I think it is good.
I dont think tea goes bad, if it is kept dry. But I do think it could possibly lose some of its flavour, over time.:)

Mel

I have a tin of cream of tartar from when I got married.....June 26, 1983. I win.:-p

I don't know that the leaves go bad, but I don't think they'd have overmuch flavour, either.

What where they hiding behind, that also didn't get moved for 10 years????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom