Egg Cream... Mississippi Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is soda water again? Club soda or seltzer?
I think GB said either. To me seltzer is short for Alka Seltzer which is an indegestion tablet. I assume that is the same basis as the soda water, which here mean bicarbonated soda, like the stuff you get from those soda syphons every home bar had in the 60's with the gas bomb in the neck.

No, not just chocolate, there are others. :)

Bilby, not an answer to your question, YET, but I thought you might find this interesting. :)

Egg Cream, History of New York Egg Cream, Egg Cream Recipe

And here is a recipe for MOCHA EGG CREAM, but there are other, like strawberry, etc.

Mocha Egg Cream

2 tbsp coffee liqueur
3 tbsp whole milk
1 tbsp chocolate syrup
6 ounces seltzer

1. Stir the liqueur, milk and syrup together in a 10 ounce glass.
  2. Hold the seltzer water 10 inches from glass.
  3. Pour in steady stream so it drives seltzer below milk and creates a froth.
  4. Serve immediately.

Last edited:
Hey Gossie that was an interesting article. I like the sound of the mocha too. Take the taste of the diet topping away. (I have no idea why I picked up the diet version. It doesn't taste "real" but I'm stuck with it now.) I have a bottle of coffee liqueur!
Will give it a whirl.

I got coffee liqueur too... but nothing else. LoL My next shopping day is Monday. :) Watch me forget to pick the stuff up. :)

Every Sunday night or Monday morning, I very dutifully trawl the grocery adverts from the mail and make up my shopping list, filled with the specials that I am interested in but I don't take for gospel. On the back of that list, I put the bits that I need. Very organised you see!! Only problem is... I don't always remember to pack the list!!! Try to remember to take it straight to my handbag but then I forget to get rid of them at the end of the week and I can stand in the shop going thru a multitude of lists!! Am working on getting better. Slowly succeeding. Slowly...

LOL I do that all the time!!! And after all the trouble of putting it together too. hehehe

There's a Vanilla Egg Cream too. I had thought there was a Strawberry one too, but haven't found it yet.

Don't stress Gossie about the strawberry one. I only have chocolate and caramel syrups, so I'll try with those and the alcoholic one before I spread my wings further. Thanks though for thinking of me!

Wasn't stressing, was researching :)

There was an episode of one of Bobby Flay's programs, and he had gone into a place and had an egg cream. He mentioned how good it was, and I guess it stuck in my head. When this topic came up again, it peaked my interest again. :)

Back to topic, are Egg Creams always chocolate flavoured?
Well that is kind of like talking about Martinis.

A true egg cream is only chocolate. A true egg cream will only use Foxes U-Bet chocolate syrup.

Can you make it with other flavors and still call it an egg cream? Well no one is going to arrest you if you did. But if someone were to order an egg cream off a menu and they got something other than chocolate then they may be very very surprised.

Well that is kind of like talking about Martinis.

A true egg cream is only chocolate. A true egg cream will only use Foxes U-Bet chocolate syrup.

Can you make it with other flavors and still call it an egg cream? Well no one is going to arrest you if you did. But if someone were to order an egg cream off a menu and they got something other than chocolate then they may be very very surprised.

Maybe in USA, Massachusetts; but in USA, Brooklyn, NY vanilla egg creams were quite common when they were selling for ten or fifteen cents.

hehehehe

i think if anyone had that much baileys at once they would be like :sick:

or

not....;)

Wasn't stressing, was researching :)

There was an episode of one of Bobby Flay's programs, and he had gone into a place and had an egg cream. He mentioned how good it was, and I guess it stuck in my head. When this topic came up again, it peaked my interest again. :)
That's cool. I just didn't want you to put yourself out on my behalf. It is interesting though isn't it? I was quite interested in how the name came about. Out of all of those theories, the suggestion still remains that it is a Westernised foreign word. The Westernisation of foreign words came up in another forum I was on only yesterday. It almost diverted me from the subject at hand!!:)

Maybe in USA, Massachusetts; but in USA, Brooklyn, NY vanilla egg creams were quite common when they were selling for ten or fifteen cents.
OK well maybe a vanilla one, but I think you will agree that mocha or strawberry would have been out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom