"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Old 11-03-2006, 06:36 AM   #31
Senior Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Originally Posted by buckytom
i'm just curious, what kind of horrid event would cause you to drink instant coffee?
How about in the event of a natural disaster where you're boiling water on a grill or in a fireplace since plugging in the coffee maker won't get you anywhere?

I wish I could recall the name of the instant coffee this guy served where I used to work (we're talking 1977 or so)... had a red label and I think it started with a K. It wasn't anything I'd ever heard of before. Not Nescafe or Tasters Choice freeze-dried crap. It was a powder but it tasted like a nice rich freshly roasted cup of coffee. I can almost see the label in my mind. It will come to me eventually.

Ah! Just got it! It was simply called Kava!

FraidKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #32
Executive Chef
We never drink instant coffee - I don't buy it. BUT, I have had some very good instant coffee in the past - the problem was no two cups were ever the same, even if they were made exactly alike. DH drinks quite a lot of coffee and I drink 1/2 to 1 cup in the morning and another 1/2 in early afternoon. I like it a lot, just don't drink that much. I try to drink water instead of everything else.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #33
Assistant Cook
I think it just fine serving instant coffee to a guest. It is the company and conversation that really matters. You seem to be a good host/hostess? just by wondering if this is ok. I have been to Asia many times and serve instant coffe in my home there. A coffee drinker can usually choke it down if my conversation is better than coffee.
wannabechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #34
Head Chef
I just looked and it seems I do have some instant coffee in my kitchen though I cannot say why. I would never drink the stuff and I would never serve a guest something I would not consume.

You can look for a Gevalia offer. They sell very good coffee. When you sign up many times they will send you a free coffee-maker. You can get about a lb of coffee AND a coffee maker for about $25.00. Freeze the coffee and it lasts nearly forever and you have a coffee maker!

I'm currently using a 12 cup coffee maker from them and I have a 4 cup in the attic....

It's a no loose situation!

2 in Or
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #35
Head Chef
It depends on your local culture and the quality of the available product. When I lived in Australia, instant coffee was pretty good and commonly used. When I moved back to the U.S. I bought what I thought was a quality product and it was positively vile. In addition, I found it fairly hard to find something as simple as an electric kettle in which to boil water. Of course I now prefer nicely brewed quality coffee from ground beans, but I must admit that I have a jar of Nestle Classico in my desk drawer at work, where they use Folger's drip in the machine.... yuck!
Dogs have owners ~ Cats have staff.
The Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #36
Head Chef
I won't use instant coffee even in Australia Z ! I think life is too short to drink instant coffee and i would prefer tea or anything else to instant coffee! You can buy a plunger very cheaply and just keep that for visitors if you don't drink coffee yourself. I have a moccona/ philips Senseo machine which makes very quick coffee easily but is still "proper" coffee, I think they are available elsewhere in th world. they are only about $120AU.
There is no such thing as a little garlic.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #37
Assistant Cook
I used to drink instant cofee but i think the taste is too organic so everyday i would wake up a little eariler and make my own coffee.
Free Top Recipes
jennH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #38
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Shoot me down in flames people... ....

I drink HEAPS of instant coffee these days. And, I only drink decafe as my BP aint the best, but after 10 years living in Italy making AND drinking copious amounts of the stuff I happily now drink instant. And I like it!! OK, so once a day I have a ristretto at a bar or Cafe.

I have no idea what your instant coffee is like in Thailand, never had it there, but if you do feel the need to supply ' proper' coffee then a moka as has been suggested, would be a great, cheap way to go. Plus, I can tell you that most Italian households use a moka, NOT a fancy machine for their daily coffee fixes. At home when I do make ' proper' coffee, I use Lavazza, made in a moka. In fact I have 4 sizes of them.
In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #39
Executive Chef
Invest in a cafetiere. Sizes from one cup, upwards. It's as quick to make coffee in one of those as it is to brew a nice cup of tea.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #40
Head Chef
I don't drink instant coffee - I only like the taste of real coffee. I wish I could be of some help to you but I have no idea what the name of the coffee you are trying to remember is.

Good luck.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote