Keurig K-cups & machines. Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked at the K-Cups at Costco Saturday. They are running .38 a cup in price. Their brand "Pacific Bold" is a good cup of coffee, 100 k-cups for $37.99.

BJ's carries the san fran, k-cups too, they caught my eye after reading this thread. $27 for 80 cups. This is about $10 cheaper than any other cup there.

No Costco near you?

Nope. I live vicariously through others' forays to Costco.
Although, from what I've gathered it's a club of sorts. Probably like the Sam's Club within driving distance of me. They require you pay a yearly membership. It was not worth the drive nor the membership cost for me to shop there.

Although, from what I've gathered it's a club of sorts. Probably like the Sam's Club within driving distance of me. They require you pay a yearly membership. It was not worth the drive nor the membership cost for me to shop there.

Yes, like Sam's Club. If it was closer to you it might be worth it. Shrek and I save $$$ just in book purchases.

Costco is online too. I don't know how good the deals are. I know that at the Canadian Costco site, you don't have to be a member, but I think members get better prices.

Find someone with a membership and get them to take you for a shopping spree.

Find someone with a membership and get them to take you for a shopping spree.

I'm not one of those club store shoppers who push one overloaded shopping cart while pulling another... especially if all I have in them is K-cups :LOL:
I rarely get my money's worth out of any membership I've tried.

I'm not one of those club store shoppers who push one overloaded shopping cart while pulling another... especially if all I have in them is K-cups :LOL:
I rarely get my money's worth out of any membership I've tried.

Me either:LOL: Costco is 5 miles away, I hop in there for what we need like a convenience store. $2 a pound for butter, meat and fish prices are great. Canned goods...we make our membership price back in the first month.

Me either:LOL: Costco is 5 miles away, I hop in there for what we need like a convenience store. $2 a pound for butter, meat and fish prices are great. Canned goods...we make our membership price back in the first month.

Being close enough that it's convenient could certainly change things.

I consider Costco to be one of "my grocery stores". Costco is less than a 5 km round trip for me. It was worth it to us when we didn't have a car and had to take a taxi home.

okay, you'all listening? kayelle, pac, whoever else is waiting to hear about the san fran bay fogchaser k cups i bought from amazon: 80 k cups cost me 39 cents each--$31.35 for the case, free shipping. you can buy a smaller quantity, but then the price goes up, and shipping charges may apply. costco is still the price buster in the group, reportedly selling the 80 count case of sfb for $28.00--a rock bottom price of 35 cents per k cup.

i am as happy as can be with the quality of this coffee. it has a taste that is bold, honest, and full of flavor. it compares favorably with every other bold variety i challenge it with. i'm not able to compare it to flavored coffees such as hazeknut or kahlua--but these and other chocolate or caramel flavored coffees i will continue to enjoy, as before....

sfb comes in a number of blends, and i may test them all before i'm through. for my personal taste, the fogchaser is the ideal strength when i brew a total of 14 ozs. of coffee, using one k cup, twice through the keurig machine, at the 6 oz. and the 8 oz. settings. the ten oz. makes it extra bold, and sometimes i opt for that size, especially for my first cup of the day.:)

the k cups are eco-friendly, and we like that, right? on one side they look and feel just like a teabag, with only the lid itself looking like the k cups you've been using all along. also, since they are not self-sealed, these k cups need to be stored in a sealed container once a (factory-sealed) bag of them has been opened.

so, i cannot use my fun carousel in which to house my fogchaser k cups. i have decided that i will continue to display the keurig cups in the carousel, though, and use it for my 'change of pace' coffees.

while the sfb k cups are not 1/2 the cost of the keurig ones (as i initially thought) they do amount to a savings of about 20-25 cents per k cup. for me, this is substantial, considering the amount of coffee i go through every single day....:)

I just returned from Costco, and thanks to your detailed report, I'm sitting here with a really wonderful cup of Fogchaser coffee. At Costco they came out to .32 cents for box of 80. I wouldn't have bought them without your recommendation, so thank you Vit!:yum:

I just returned from Costco, and thanks to your detailed report, I'm sitting here with a really wonderful cup of Fogchaser coffee. At Costco they came out to .32 cents for box of 80. I wouldn't have bought them without your recommendation, so thank you Vit!:yum:

i'm glad you like the fogchaser too, kayelle.:) and, 32 cents a cup is by far the best price i've heard--do you by any chance live near one of their plants?

seems like you guys have all the good coffee plants and chocolate factories out there on the west coast! hey, but we do still have hersheys...:)

Last edited:
shall i ups you a bag of fogchaser ks for you and shrek to sample? i can't send it in c/o our dc coffee klatch address yet--waiting on an official p.o. listing....:)

Thanks, Vit! I did pick up the 100 count Pacific Bold...I'm set with coffee for a bit. I need to reduce my club shipments.:rolleyes:

in the interests of full disclosure and transparency, it probably needs to be noted about the sfb k cups that: you will find that a small amount of sediment remains in your coffee receptacle when using this type of k cup. it is something that does not occur with the keurig k cups, in my experience. i don't know how many coffee drinkers are bothered by this occurrence. the sfb coffee co. reports in one of their coffee descriptions, that enhanced flavor is achieved with this manner of brewing, i.e., straining the coffee through exposed paper filters.

a surprise development for me, is how easily i have reverted to being largely a single brand coffee drinker again. i don't feel the need to have a 'special blend' cup of coffee every day. but whenever i do, i go for it. i'm looking at a savings of $30 per month cutting back on name brand coffee. hey, it's a start! remember, baby steps....:)

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts, but a friend who never drinks coffee (tea drinker) LOVES coffee prepared from a k-cup. What's inside those cups? Syrup? Grounds? What?

Wonder when they'll come out with a Keurig (sp) machine that produces a single serving of wine or beer...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom