"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests

Old 09-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chili Fest

We are having a chili cook off this coming weekend at my campground. I 'practiced' last week and made some chili for dinner. (Mainly because you have to have a copy of the recipe and I had no idea how much of what I put in it. lol) It turned out great! It may actually the best chili I have ever made! I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Mr. Greenjeans

Chubs! Well?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I hate that too. I have to "rehearse" the recipes on my show quite a bit because I'm a "throw a little of this and a little of that in there" type of person. I had to scrap one of my recipes because I literally couldn't figure out the exact combination of ingredients that made the flavor exactly perfect the way it was when I wasn't paying attention. Every time I tried to measure everything out, it came out all wrong.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Mr. Greenjeans

Metal! I figured out a way to do this but its all by weight. I weigh all of the ingredient containers that I would use to make the dish and make note of the weights (sometimes you need a really sensative scale) and then I weigh all the containers after and I can get the weight of the amounts. Then its just a matter of weighing the ingredients and measuring what the weights equal in tsp, Tbs, cups...

I had to do it for a grandma who wanted to share her biscuit recipe. I ran like a gazelle that day as she would constantly "remember" another ingredient as she was cooking.